Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

something's missing here...

Either that, or you're having a really good day :)
I've noticed that for the past few hours now, and it seems to me I'm not daydreaming, so......draw your own conclusions.

I don't notice any difference... oh wait I've had them turned off for a few months now :P

Deathman said:

is it just me, or have the pop ups went away?!

Went away? My pop-ups went away as soon as i disabled them. :D

The reason Pop-up-stopper was created.

Deathman said:

whats wierd is that I don't have any pop up stopper....

You don't need any pop-up stopper to disable the DW forums pop-ups.
IIRC the instructions how to disable them are somewhere on this board.

I know, but unfortunatly the remaining expanse of the web DOES bring with it the mass of bastardised annoyances known as pop-ups, so it's a worthy download.

Deathman said:

is it just me, or have the pop ups went away?!

The banners are gone too. Methinks UGO's ad server went haywire.

Anyway, if you're using IE just go to Tools, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, Sites... and add mediamgr.ugo.com to the restricted list, no more popups, ever.

When I did that, IE refused to even let me view DW. So, I've put up with them, and apparantly they're gone now. Hurray.

I removed the ads in protest to the horrible number of popup ads.

At ANY other site on the internet, you will either get only one popup ad at first and then no more, or new popup ads after a certain period of time. And on ANY other site, if you leave the popup ad there, new pages will NOT spawn new popup ads. UGO's horrible shit ad code spawns a NEW popup window with EVERY page, which is not only insane but fucking stupid. I wonder how long it will take anyone "in charge" to notice.

Easiest solution: stick to a web browser that lets you disable pop-up windows...

Fredrik said:

Easiest solution: stick to a web browser that lets you disable pop-up windows...

Yep, IE must be the only one that can't do that, yet most people are using it and cursing with pop-ups.

stoned said:

Yep, IE must be the only one that can't do that, yet most people are using it and cursing with pop-ups.

You can, by disabling JavaScript, but that is silly =P

Linguica said:

At ANY other site on the internet, you will either get only one popup ad at first and then no more, or new popup ads after a certain period of time. And on ANY other site, if you leave the popup ad there, new pages will NOT spawn new popup ads. UGO's horrible shit ad code spawns a NEW popup window with EVERY page, which is not only insane but fucking stupid. I wonder how long it will take anyone "in charge" to notice.

ROFL, "What? There were supposed to be ads on this page?"

lets hope they stay away, even after i configuered IE to get rid of popups from doomworld they still came. now that u say that i hope it stays this way, hope i didnt jynx it

Linguica said:

Andrew "Che" Stine.

I hope there's no retalation or something.

Wonder what type of moron accually buys products from pop-up adds... the very fact that they use the lowest form of advertising should warn anyone with half a brain that they are a bullshit ass company who are not to be trusted.

Sephiroth said:

lets hope they stay away, even after i configuered IE to get rid of popups from doomworld they still came. now that u say that i hope it stays this way, hope i didnt jynx it

Great, now they'll probably come back in droves.....
Just kidding Seph. :P

darknation said:

Wonder what type of moron accually buys products from pop-up adds... the very fact that they use the lowest form of advertising should warn anyone with half a brain that they are a bullshit ass company who are not to be trusted.

No one likes pop-up ads. That makes you wonder where did they came from.

Heh, cool. I hope Tellefraged or UGO or whoever is in charge doesn't get pissed and shut the site down. This seems to be a pretty popular site at the moment though, and I doubt they'd do it without at least a warning or two.

So go on, fight the power!

[seriousness]Yeah, the adds are pretty BS. At my school, we can't change the IE settings or download any programs, so I'm forced to cope with the billions of popups. Its really lame and pisses me off immensely.[/seriousness]

Actually, I saw a recent article in Newsweek or something about how most websites are too "complicated" for some people. After all, there is the percentage of people who are totally computer illiterate, and the article talked about how those people are extremely likely to click on banner ads because they don't know any better.

Heh. Reminds me of monkeys playing with puzzles for some reason.

Damn. Now that I wasted an hour creating a CSS that changes the banner's color to fit my site's theme, I won't have any use of it? Bah.

Well, good work, Ling. You know we love you.

I would've killed the ads long ago when they were showing those evil Gary Coleman ads... :P

You really get my thumbs up for this Ling. About time some big site decided to do this. Maybe this will ultimately start a revolution or something.

The internet should be people putting stuff up for enjoyment, and for free information, not to make fucking money. It just ruins the whole purpose of the internet.

elbryan42 said:

You really get my thumbs up for this Ling. About time some big site decided to do this. Maybe this will ultimately start a revolution or something.

That's a nice sentiment and all but you must remember than I neither own Doomworld nor do I run the server that it is on. If TF notices and wants to put those horrible awful shit popups back on I can't do anything about it.

Fair enough taking them off, but I don't agree with hiding that fact, I don't know the deal Marv has with UGO but there might be repercussions for removing the ads w/o informing anyone.

IE doesn't let you disable popups directly because its the most popular browser, and so there's financial interest for popups to be unremovable. Plus if they did make it easy to stop popups, the advertising people would just use something even nastier. Remember those flash adverts that mess around on a pane atop the page? They could get popular.