Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Took me 3 minutes to beat. Yea pretty generic memfis map, good open layout, good use of enemy placement, nicely detailed and simple yet interesting design. This one was a little bit too easy IMO but still pretty cool. Keep making them!

If there were a perfect indication of how not to make a doom map I think this is a pretty neat example, I was beyond dissapointed, my hands were shaking so I had to turn off my computer and go out for a walk (joking).
I died many times because those revenant and hitscanners were in the right place to make things entertaining, there is a lot of detail and that in combination with the amazing music created a very atmospheric world. I was a bit dependent on that secret plasmagun but anyway I didn't try what about the rest of the level without it, every section was unique, the rocket launcher was at the right place at the right time, I liked that wooden boxes outside the chapel, so no complains here, solid.

Thanks guys. I agree the music is rather exceptional, it's "Lottyr, Lady of the Hells" by Bjorn Lynne by the way. He has some beautiful midis there, check out "Return to Witchwood" or "12th Warrior". I'm totally using the latter one day. :)

As for textures, I get them from pretty much everywhere. I went through a lot of wads over time, extracting textures and flats I found interesting and putting them in mem-res.wad, which I always use when mapping nowadays. Currently there are about 720 textures and 250 flats from probably more than 100 sources. I think it's nice to have a texture pack you use regularly, after a while you get very accustomed to it and can choose textures quickly.

I would say that we should find a way to help you overcome your self-professed lack of productivity. But then I think of another person I know (not a Doom mapper) who has an artistic ceiling of "genius" and is very unproductive. Actually, I can think of two, wait three. So . . . it's probably necessary in some way. But then again, so far I've been unproductive at everything but I have been called a "genius" only in the context of purely analytical games. Oh well.

Anyway, with 100 sources, how do you keep permissions in line, for the ones that aren't from "openly available" packs?

Heh, texture permissions isn't something I take very seriously, just like the whole copyright thing. I grew up in a different environment I guess (everyone pirating or buying illegal copies of everything) and I'm still in the dark ages morally, constantly downloading stuff from torrents, etc. Maybe one day something will enlighten me and I'll reexamine my world views, who knows.

So yeah, my texture pack probably violates lots of permissions. At least I put "do whatever you want with this wad" in my textfiles as a little "compensation". :p

Good layout and very nice visuals. I've died multiple times in the map, but the challenge was fair (and well done). I liked it.

That map was a nice litte blast, awesome flow in my opinion.
Dont hesitate to make more of these haha

joe-ilya said:

the exit's not marked

Actually, it is. The portal looks enough exit-like to me, too.

I have to admit, I thought it was rather weak marking when I put it there. I didn't change it just because I wanted a more gothic-like sign and now I got a valid complaint about it. Nice find with the barrels too.

Ah yeah, it's because it's in a sector with a different sky height and sometimes you can't see "through the sky" if there are different brightness levels involved or something, I never fully understood how this works.

A late FDA : here

Cool romp. Maybe a bit too tight on health and ammo for my tastes, but then again I didn't find the Plasma Gun so it surely works out well in the end.
Excellent monster placement :)

On -complevel 2 there are hanging candles everywhere.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
On -complevel 2 there are hanging candles everywhere.

?
Maybe old prboom doesn't support embedded dehacked? I made the candles have radius 1 to avoid this problem.

Memfis said:
Maybe old prboom doesn't support embedded dehacked? I made the candles have radius 1 to avoid this problem.

I see. Well usually PrBoom copes well with basic Dehacked patches...

There are 2 different lumps named Dehacked in your wad though - one of them without the radius-related lines, so PrBoom probably only took this one into account.

Oh, so you were fast enough to download the old version with 2 dehacked patches. That link existed for only 8 minutes. :)

Memfis said:
Oh, so you were fast enough to download the old version with 2 dehacked patches. That link existed for only 8 minutes. :)

Hehe, nah I grabbed it from /idgames ( from the German mirror ).