Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sega dude

How do you use D!Zone?

I recently got a copy of D!Zone Collectors Edition from a thrift store, but I have no idea how to use it. I own The Ultimate Doom I bought on Steam. I know how to get the WAD file and use it on different versions of Doom. I have old computers capable of running D!Zone and Doom natively. I have installed D!Zone on one of my old computers, but I have no idea how to use it. I can't find any tutorials online. How do I use it?

If the wad files are uncompressed on the disk, just get your favorite port and drop them onto it or use the -file command line parameter like you could with vanilla Doom.

If they're in D!Z archives, you're going to have to use DosBox though, and it's going to be a lot more complicated. Some of the latter D!ZONE releases had so much stuff on the disc that they felt an irrational need to compress the files, and did so in a custom format. IIRC there is a utility on there that decompresses them, however, but it's a 16-bit DOS command line utility. The included D! frontend, which is likewise a DOS program, can also do it, though it likes to delete its temp files when you're done playing them, making them difficult to grab (this program also has the additional issue of suffering the Borland Runtime Error 200 issue on CPUs that are too fast, so you might have to turn down the cycles in DosBox to minimum to get it to run at all, or, hunt down the Borland Turbo Pascal program patch which fixes the problem).

esselfortium said:

The preferred method is to play through every map in alphabetical order while chronicling your suffering via video journals.

:D

sega dude said:

I have installed D!Zone on one of my old computers, but I have no idea how to use it. I can't find any tutorials online. How do I use it?

To quote the D! Quick Start Guide - "Complete instructions are available by press F1 while D! is running."

I'll scan and post the Quick Start Guide shortly.

EDIT - Here you go, scanned at 300dpi.

(3280x2500 - 1.55MB)