Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LittleInferno

How can I add more explosion frames in WhackEd4?

The best idea would be to use the Pain Elemental's resurrection frames, considering those almost never get used. Just remember to void the Resurrect state on the Things table on the off chance you end up with a ghost monster in non-ZDoom ports.

I think I'm being a stupido, but doing that, I replace both frames in the process -- the death & resurrection frames. Likely because I'm naming the additional explosion frames with the PAIN prefix. I'm totally clueless in the whatever the correct way is.

LittleInferno said:

I think I'm being a stupido, but doing that, I replace both frames in the process -- the death & resurrection frames. Likely because I'm naming the additional explosion frames with the PAIN prefix. I'm totally clueless in the whatever the correct way is.

An interesting fact: you can carry on a sequence of images with the same 4 letters longer than what they originally were. Just label the extra frames MISL## and carry them on from the explosion frames and use them in the PE's resurrection frames instead of replacing it's sprites. I'd show you myself but I'm not on my laptop right now.

In the State table, you can edit each state and change its sprite prefix, sprite subnumber (="letter"), duration, next frame, light, and codepointer action. For example, let's say that you want to replace MISLB-MISLD animation with a longer one, say MISLE-MISLM (mancubus projectiles also use sprites MISLB-MISLD, but you want to keep these unchanged). Name your custom sprites MISLE0, MISLF0, ..., MISLM0. Then open WhackEd and find states 127-129 (MISLB-MISLD), change their sprite subnumbers to turn them into MISLE-MISLG, and change the Next Frame of state 129 to 720. Then edit states 720-725 (PE resurrection) to use sprites MISLH-MISLM, and change the Next Frame of state 725 to 0. Finally, open Thing table, find Pain Elemental and set his Respawn State to 0, to prevent him from entering the hijacked animation. Save the .deh file, import it into your wad, and name the lump "DEHACKED". Then launch the game and fire a rocket, and the new explosion should use your custom animation MISLE-MISLM.