Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsu91

Updated Sourceports

Are there any good source ports like Darkplaces for quake but for Doom with the whole shebang higher res textures, Dynamic lighting ,partcle effects , Smoothed out sprites I have seen high res textures and some lighting effects along with the 3d models but the models are ugly and i was wondering if their is an equivelent engine or is GZdoom/Jdoom the best there is for graphic mods

Hey Tatsu. Yeah, Doomsday and GZDoom are about the best you'll get. Maybe Doom Retro and 3DGE following behind for their own unique reasons.

Also, I never would have guessed you played Quake, you always seemed more like a Minecraft type of guy Kappa

Yeah, GZDoom, Doomsday and Risen3D. But about models ... meeh I haven't found any good ones, better stick with sprites.

I suggest GZDoom + dynamic lighting + brightmaps + Smooth Doom + Perkristian's improved soundpack. But you will have to edit your configuration file for lighting and brightmaps to work (in the autoload section)

Depends really on what you want.

Doomsday is far more interested in adding modern visual effects to existing Doom while GZDoom's focus is more on using hardware accelerated rendering to allow modders to create interesting stuff.

And considering hi-res textures, to this day there hasn't been a decent pack made for Doom, the majority is still quick'n dirty Photoshop filtering.

Graf Zahl said:

And considering hi-res textures, to this day there hasn't been a decent pack made for Doom, the majority is still quick'n dirty Photoshop filtering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZulJCYES5Do

If this guy ever found the time to make one, I bet it would turn out great.

On the subject, I've noticed Doomsday doesn't seem more technically advanced than GZDoom, Although Risen 3D has some lighting effects that GZDoom lacks.

MetroidJunkie said:

On the subject, I've noticed Doomsday doesn't seem that much more technically advanced than GZDoom, Although Risen 3D has some lighting effects that GZDoom lacks.

... but will he make more than one...
I think anyone ever working on this started well motivated but seeing the work ahead it all went sour for any of them...

Graf Zahl said:

... but will he make more than one...
I think anyone ever working on this started well motivated but seeing the work ahead it all went sour for any of them...

That's true, such a thing would probably be better to have a team so that one person isn't burdened with all textures.

I am just looking for something to add to the atmosphere with better details i absolutely how the high end features can add to it. I would not mind sticking with sprites but with the other features they stick out like a sore thumb because they are not as smoothed out by comparison

@MetroidJunkie There is quite a big difference between Doomsday and GZDoom in terms of their default configs, visual effects and how mod authors can leverage the respective port's features. On a purely technical level, they are also very different under the hood.

Doomsday tends to focus on general enhancements that improve the overall fidelity of the whole scene automatically, without add-ons.

GZDoom tends to focus on specific enhancements that mod authors can apply deliberately at map level, with add-ons.

sylandro, a user at the Doomsday forums recently posted the following comparison pics using the default configs for these ports:

Doomsday http://i.imgur.com/YVCBfNR.jpg
GZDoom http://i.imgur.com/ggqoZRf.jpg

Interesting. How does Doomsday handle aspect ratio correction?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

GZDoom's OpenGL Looks like shit compare to Doomsday's .

Care to explain why?
Or are you one of those people who believe that hardware acceleration should imply all kinds of unrelated 'magic' to make the game something it's not supposed to be.

GZDoom's goal is strictly to keep Doom as it is without any 'magic' that isn't explicitly added.

Gez said:

Interesting. How does Doomsday handle aspect ratio correction?

That would depend on the context. We use a simple map space up-axis scaling for map geometry, sprites, etc... and there are various aspect ratio options which govern how 4:3 is interpreted wrt the HUD, intermission, etc...

Graf Zahl said:

...unrelated 'magic' to make the game something it's not supposed to be.

Thats wholly subjective...

I like to think the majority of Doomsday's embellishments enhance the map authors vision, by taking visual cues from the mod itself to tune lighting (etc). This is the goal, at least.

(I am more than willing to work with mod authors to enhance the 'magic' if they feel the results detract from their vision).

Saying that, if the Defaults profile is not to ones liking it is very easy indeed to switch to (say) the Vanilla profile instead, or configure a new profile of your own.

DaniJ said:

That would depend on the context. We use a simple map space up-axis scaling for map geometry, sprites, etc... and there are various aspect ratio options which govern how 4:3 is interpreted wrt the HUD, intermission, etc...

On the comparison pics you've posted, the Doomsday sprites are about as tall as in GZDoom (even slightly taller, actually) but they are also "fat".

By default Doomsday transforms sprites differently to GZDoom, to try to maintain a visually consistent perspective. Skyjake answered this question in more detail here.

Gez said:

On the comparison pics you've posted, the Doomsday sprites are about as tall as in GZDoom (even slightly taller, actually) but they are also "fat".

Given Doomsday's priorities, shouldn't it be spelled "phat"?

I have no idea what's going on with the first person weapon being wider than it should, but the in-world sprites appear to be mostly correct. The reason some of them look wider is simply due to the way perspective works; as you get closer to the sides of the screen, things get more stretched out when projected to a flat surface like a screen (hence why too high an FOV looks kinda crap).

On that note, I kinda do like how JDoom handles sprite projection. Following that same principle, fog should be radial if one wants to keep consistent perspective.

Sodaholic said:

On that note, I kinda do like how JDoom handles sprite projection.

That's entirely subjective - depends on what bothers you more: sprites changing their orientation while you move past them or not rotate along while you turn.
I think it's clear what I prefer... ;)

Sodaholic said:

Following that same principle, fog should be radial if one wants to keep consistent perspective.

I don't know any hardware that can do radial fog without shaders so without changing how the renderer works this requires some changes.

Graf Zahl said:

Care to explain why?
Or are you one of those people who believe that hardware acceleration should imply all kinds of unrelated 'magic' to make the game something it's not supposed to be.

GZDoom's goal is strictly to keep Doom as it is without any 'magic' that isn't explicitly added.

lol Sorry i wasn't insulting,I Was just saying my Opinion .

I'd still like to hear a reason for that.
If it's just the difference in port philosophies, fine, I can't change that, but you didn't tell.

DaniJ said:

sylandro, a user at the Doomsday forums recently posted the following comparison pics using the default configs for these ports:

GZDoom http://i.imgur.com/ggqoZRf.jpg

That is very much not GZDoom's default settings. There appears to be a HQ resize filter applied.
Granted, GZDoom's defaults include Bilinear filtering for some strange reason, rather than one of the Nearest Neighbour modes.

Edward850 said:

rather than one of the Nearest Neighbour modes.

Why should it be one of these? Just because Skulltag changed the default a long time ago?

I'm not sure what Skulltag does/did. However Doom's graphics just don't look right with any amount of filtering, and just ends up looking blurry and out of focus. Compare No filtering to Bilinear. The HUD definitely takes the worst hit.

Edward850 said:

I'm not sure what Skulltag does/did. However Doom's graphics just don't look right with any amount of filtering, and just ends up looking blurry and out of focus. Compare No filtering to Bilinear. The HUD definitely takes the worst hit.

That's entirely a matter of taste and I strongly disagree with you.

I don't think "What Doom's graphics are actually designed for" is a matter of taste. We are talking about defaults here, after all.