Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsu91

Updated Sourceports

Graf Zahl said:

They were designed for low resolution displays, so that reasoning doesn't hold much value.

Except it makes fonts a blurry mess? And you can't honestly be saying that's how the HUD is supposed to look.
People don't call is "Vaseline mode" for no reason.

Besides which, we already know how Doom looks at a higher resolution, with PRBoom/Eternity/ZDoom. Bilinear filtering certainly isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

Edward850 said:

Besides which, we already know how Doom looks at a higher resolution, with PRBoom/Eternity/ZDoom. Bilinear filtering certainly isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

As I already said: Ultimately it's all a matter of taste so please stop resenting your opinion as fact.

The problem isn't the bilinear filtering, it's more that Doom's original assets are low res and, thus, can't afford the blurring without coming off as fairly ugly looking since they aren't very detailed to begin with. With a high res pack, this becomes less of an issue.

Sodaholic said:

I have no idea what's going on with the first person weapon being wider than it should

Juding by the pic, hes running a 16:9 window with 4:3 => 16:9 psprite stretching enabled. By default Doomsday will stretch aspects close to 4:3 rather than border them.

Following that same principle, fog should be radial if one wants to keep consistent perspective.

Yeah, this is something we plan to address soon when we start rewriting our now ancient map renderer...

I know a lot of people who prefer filtering enabled.. it's part of why they use hardware accelerated engines to begin with. There is nothing unreasonable about such defaults.

Personally I turn it off because I think it looks awful, but that's just my opinion and the option to turn it off is appreciated.

On the note of Doomsay's aspect ratio correction I do have to throw my opinion out there that I hate how the weapon sprites look.. they just look fat and silly at 16:9 aspect ratio. ZDoom variants and PrBoom-Plus get it right imo.

Aspect ratio stretching is separately configurable for all major UI elements in Doomsday. At 16:9 stretching is on by default but you can disable it, if you'd rather deal with the other artefacts instead. (There is no one, Right Way to handle this. Hence, options).

Edit: To easily observe the default 'smart' behavior - run windowed and try resizing it - you should notice that letter-/pilliar-boxing and stretching changes dynamically.

Graf Zahl said:

That's entirely subjective - depends on what bothers you more: sprites changing their orientation while you move past them or not rotate along while you turn.

I used to hate the way JDoom did it until I considered a few things.

The traditional method is generally fine for looking forward with narrow sprites and a lower FOV. Unfortunately, bigger sprites tend to fly toward the player's face as they turn if they're nearby, especially with higher FOVs (such as the user playing in widescreen). It also tends to look bad when the player looks up and down and the sprite is far from the center, it looks a lot less flat if it's oriented toward your position and not your own orientation (such as when it's centered, or from all angles with JDoom's method).

It also "fixes" the technical correctness of the perspective when using Doom's method of sprite rotation. The Wolf 3D method is better for the flat projection, IMO.