Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

HTC and Valve's Re Vive to rival the Oculus Rift ?

HTC and Valve are building their own VR headset, and they intend to solve the input problem by making extra controllers.

Gaming websites claim Valve stunned everybody at the GDC.

http://www.htcvr.com/

side note and Heads up ;
they have a heavy website with a background movie, modern, i thought i was only giong to keep seeing such things on japanese websites.

Valves literally competing with EVERYONE lately
With EA and Ubisoft among others on DRM
With Occlus Rift, Sony and Microsoft on VR
With Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo with their own console
With Epic Games with their own free game engine.

vinnie245 said:

Valves literally competing with EVERYONE lately

das called capitalism, mang

Seeing that they have a solid and established distribution platform to build from, they are powerful and secure enough to venture into other areas of the game industry.

Nobody's going to wear a fucking helmet to play video games for hundreds of hours.

Bucket said:

Nobody's going to wear a fucking helmet to play video games for hundreds of hours.

Pretty much this. I've always looked at VR and Google Glass as a total gimmick for tech savvy individuals rather than something that would get daily use. Then again, I thought the same thing about 3D televisions and they've come a long way...

Bucket said:

This decade? Not unless they're dedicated as hell. This century, however? I'll bet it'll be a very dominant form of entertainment.

I hope Valve eventually ships HL3 with VR. I think out of all the things that would work with VR, HL3 would be the best choice. Imagine being in a realistic arctic environment facing bizarre abominations with Kelly Bailey's new soundtrack in the background. It would be amazing.

Bucket said:

That's exactly what i always think when i see or hear about the Occulus Rift, Google glas, and now the Re Vive, or anything like that.
Even though the RE Vive might have a slightly better chance with its controllers.

Unless they do something special and get people to buy something they never wanted or needed, like Apple did with the Ipod or Ipad, they might just be chasing each other hoping for the best. But who knows, they might just pull it off.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

I hope Valve eventually ships HL3 with VR. I think out of all the things that would work with VR, HL3 would be the best choice. Imagine being in a realistic arctic environment facing bizarre abominations with Kelly Bailey's new soundtrack in the background. It would be amazing.

Yeah can't wait to see that,Headcrabs on my Face :p
they already released a VR Training Course

That video proves one thing ;
The extra controllers make it a lot more interresting, they make it possible to actualy aim in 3D and move your stuff in 3D space.

being a severe Sceptic around this ordeal i must admit to be interrested for the first time ever.

Edit ;
I accidently wrote a wrong gadget name, fixed.

Yeah that'll make you feel like you're inside the game and and feel like you are Gordon Freeman instead of a Player controlling him .

I just hope that recent quote form that soundcloud interview from Gabe Newell that clickbait sites are using is just taken out of context and doesn't mean anything.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/565104/Half-Life-3-release-date-cancelled-Half-Life-3-news

I think it would be a bad idea to not use a single player game like Half Life 3, especially with the type of environment it was going to be set in with VR. Nobody would take this seriously if something like a new CS,TF or even L4D game was made as Valve's primary VR game.

I'd like the game to be playable in both Ways,With Oculus Rift or without it ,Just like how i did with Half-life 2 Series .

I can't wait to try my favorite Doom maps with VR. Map 26 and 27 from Scythe 2 and E3M4 from Demon Eclipse are going to be the first.

Valve has a clear advantage of basically owning the PC market, something Oculus can only dream of. Vive is also obviously superior considering Rift has been pushed back because of it. Not officially but hey, right after Vive was revealed, suddenly Oculus guys no longer think they can ship this year.

Generally, having not experienced any VR so far, I'm leaning towards supporting Oculus but Valve will have an easier time with their established reputation.

As for HL3, we won't see this game for a long time if at all. Valve has made it clear multiple times throughout the past years that they are not interested in making SP games anymore. In relation to Vive, if you think they'll use HL3 to promote it, you're out of your mind. Hell, people thought that Source 2 will debut with HL3 but from what I've heard I'm pretty sure they'll be using it in Dota2 first.

Touchdown said:

Hell, people thought that Source 2 will debut with HL3 but from what I've heard I'm pretty sure they'll be using it in Dota2 first.

Yeah,we didn't say Source 2 will debut with HL3 there are multiple concept arts leaked by Valvetime last years and we also saw it on Valve Project Tracker aside L4D3 and a strange project called "Grange" and Steambox,and Gabe Newell confirmed that Valve is working on Half-Life 3 in an Interview that i don't remember what was it, They will not release it in the order we think of,it's up to Valve .
EDIT : Also if you finished Episode 2 of Half-Life 2 you'll see That the ending is incomplete,After alyx's daed died ,Alyx and Gordon must now head to the Borealis and destroy a Ship ,i don't know ..

Bucket said:

I've always been similarly skeptical about the Rift et al, but it's apparently one of those things you have to experience to get. I think I'll reserve judgement until I try one of these technologies for myself. Maybe they suck, but maybe they don't. I thought the Wii was a stupid idea until I had a go on one.

Touchdown said:

Valve has a clear advantage of basically owning the PC market, something Oculus can only dream of. Vive is also obviously superior considering Rift has been pushed back because of it. Not officially but hey, right after Vive was revealed, suddenly Oculus guys no longer think they can ship this year.

Generally, having not experienced any VR so far, I'm leaning towards supporting Oculus but Valve will have an easier time with their established reputation.

As for HL3, we won't see this game for a long time if at all. Valve has made it clear multiple times throughout the past years that they are not interested in making SP games anymore. In relation to Vive, if you think they'll use HL3 to promote it, you're out of your mind. Hell, people thought that Source 2 will debut with HL3 but from what I've heard I'm pretty sure they'll be using it in Dota2 first.

Then what would they showcase Vine with? I doubt the Vine would actually take off or ever be more than a fad unless you were actually given a game that has you go through a personal experience like what HL3 would do. I don't see a competitive game, especially one that is in third person like Dota 2, to take off seriously with VR. I'm not sure what the actual controls to the Vine are, but I'd imagine they would hinder you in games like TF2. So stuff like TF3, CS or even L4D3 would be off the question to showcase the Vine with.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

half-life vr training course

Seeing those hands just float in mid air looked insanely stupid. I can't imagine how seeing that would not take you out of the game and destroy your immersion.

EDIT: As for Half-life 3, valve will make it and release it at some point. It would just be to big a middle finger to everyone to not do so. Can you imagine the uproar if people were told that after all that happened in the first 2 games and that in spite of the series being hailed as the most epic single player journey ever, Valve just said "nope fuck it we don't care anymore" leaving us only the episode 2's cliffhanger ending?

hardcore_gamer said:

Seeing those hands just float in mid air looked insanely stupid. I can't imagine how seeing that would not take you out of the game and destroy your immersion.

Keep in mind this is just a test Release,so HL3 will not look like this in VR

hardcore_gamer said:

Can you imagine the uproar if people were told that after all that happened in the first 2 games and that in spite of the series being hailed as the most epic single player journey ever, Valve just said "nope fuck it we don't care anymore" leaving us only the episode 2's cliffhanger ending?

Half-Life is the Greatest series in Valve History , i'm sure Valve won't destroy it .

DoomUK said:

I've always been similarly skeptical about the Rift et al, but it's apparently one of those things you have to experience to get. I think I'll reserve judgement until I try one of these technologies for myself. Maybe they suck, but maybe they don't. I thought the Wii was a stupid idea until I had a go on one.

It doesn't matter how mind-blowing and revolutionary the experience is. No one is going to wear a helmet to play video games for hundreds of hours. I'm speaking from a pragmatic perspective.

Bucket said:

It doesn't matter how mind-blowing and revolutionary the experience is. No one is going to wear a helmet to play video games for hundreds of hours. I'm speaking from a pragmatic perspective.

I dunno. I think a big part of the reason for why people rejected 3D wasn't only because it was annoying to use those damn glasses but also because 3D was largely just a gimmick that added little to the experience once the wow factor was gone. If this actually makes you feel like you are actually in the game world, I can imagine myself using it as long as it's not too heavy.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Half-Life is the Greatest series in Valve History , i'm sure Valve won't destroy it .

Valve is a business; they ultimately don't care about anything but making money. They've stated that Portal 2 was likely to be their last "traditional" (whatever that means) singleplayer game. They've said their free-to-play multiplayer games have been the most continuously profitable releases yet. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 came out almost a decade ago and we still have no closure on its cliffhanger.

I'd say it's safe to say they've abandoned it. I don't think they specifically cancelled the series, but they have no monetary incentive to continue it.

TF2 is the greatest valve series. Its made more money than all the others combine.

So the VR headset, it took Valve 2 years to finalize a controller. They've lost the controller race by 10 years. They'll lose the headset race. My money is still on Microsoft's technology... not because I believe in them, but because the 360 controller is standard for PCs and 360 consoles. Even if Oculus Rift has a head start and Facebook behind them, I think Microsoft will beat them.

They'll push it while Sony can only push Morpheos and it'll go about as far as their 3D televisions.

I wish TF2 didn't kill ETQW, ETQW had a proper objective attack and defend mode with a series of objectives per map, while all TF2 had was the overused traditional simple game types.

Bucket said:

Looks like a recipe for neck strain, unless they put a counterweight on the back of the headband.

Any of this 3D goggle nonsense suitable for people who wear glasses?

Is it even managable for your eyes. I imagine this to be made by jamming two small screens against your eyes, so pupil dialation might become a problem...

Neck strain, eye strain, motion sickness, severe disorientation... that all adds up to an experience that is bound to get tiresome within one week of regular use. Hell, the YouTubers who are paid to do this shit are already sick of it.

Oh, but it's new and shiny! Gasp, swoon!