Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
driftyloon

Map making: what do you actually need/want ?

After playing a awesome WAD, I always think to myself "I could definitely make a map like that, I am sure it's not to hard. Just a simple map". I then sit down to make the map, this is where it all falls to pieces. I have absolutely no idea where to start and can't think what specific things actually have to be in the map. Even if I do get going, I find myself making shitty square rooms maps(series of rooms connected by just plain corridors, very linear design). I know that I will never be as good at mapping as some but I would still like to be decent. I would greatly appreciate if you guys would give me some tips on what makes a good map for you.

Thanks
Driftyloon

Sometime I feel exactly like you. Even if I can understand the level design of a Doom map, I'm not always able to replicate the creative process by myself.

In your case, probably the main difference between you and other mappers is that you think about level design as "series of rooms" while more experienced mappers think directly to the level as a whole.

Just an idea.

One thing I see come up often is height variation. What are some good examples of height variation, is Doom II Chasm a good example of it? I started mapping last year, so I'm still looking for things to incorporate into my maps.

Check out this thread, it contains advices from various people.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/71336-how-do-i-stop-sucking-at-mapping/

Maybe also this thread, which lists "overdone" things that you might want to avoid for the better.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/71633-what-is-the-most-overdone-thing-youve-seen-in-custom-maps/

And possibly also this thread, which tries to formulate good mapping principles from the player's perspective.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/71641-doom-mapping-tenets/

And there are surely other old threads on similar topics.

I would echo the same stuff I said in one of the threads scifista linked (regarding mimicry), but I'd also add that you might want to consider trying to take smaller steps. rather than starting completely from scratch, maybe open up a map you like (or one you don't like very much, for the sake of making it better) and make some modifications to it. add a new section of map here and there, alter the path the player has to take (maybe make the exit the start and vice versa). if you're doing this with a map you like, then you don't really have to worry about whether the map will be any good because it already is. if you do it with a map you don't really like, then you can make adjustments until you feel it's good, or at least a better map than it was before. I think the most important thing to remember, though, is that you are just as capable of making something great as anyone else. keep an open mind, don't be afraid to re-iterate things, have fun and be confident and you'll be absolutely fine :D

you could also consider trying things like making a map without using any orthogonal lines (look at greenwar or greenwar 2, for example). also, if you've got minecraft, you could try building stuff in there (because building with raw blocks is in some ways easier than using sectors) and that might enable you to view the building process in a way that you weren't able to before. another reason that could be good is that you'd be building without giving much thought to gameplay, ie just trying to make something cool. you could still do this in doom though. maybe just try building something that looks cool, and later once you've got some more visual ideas based on that, you'll more easily be able to use that "template" and make stuff for a map that you'd actually play

Interesting suggestion tango. My first time mapping, I modified my shareware iwad, changing the textures and item placement and stuff. I kinda regret it now truthfully, but the idea of taking an already good map and seeing what you can do to make it better (perhaps without the intention of actually releasing it) can be a pretty fast and easy way to demonstrate to yourself what you're capable of, and perhaps designing a great map from scratch will come naturally later on.

start small, try to get one idea done to your satisfaction in your new map. A small good map is better than most maps honestly; and it is achievable inside a couple of months of practicing.

Practice and study. Tango's advice is excellent here.

Be patient. It takes time to become really good at anything, Doom editing is no different.

I think you can very carefully compile a list of community-approved trends in mapping and then make a map strictly using those guidelines which half the community will in any case hate. :B therefore,

things I'd like to see in maps:

- mandatory puzzles
- chaingun battles vs multiple pain elementals
- damaging solid floors
- fake exit rooms
- liberal usage of SS soldiers and spiderdemons
- a mix of identical props some of which can be walked through and some of which can't
- 0 brightness rooms with invisible or misleading walls on the map
- very long corridors with regular doors off into cell/cubicle structures with a zombieman in each instance
- routes involving sr50 jumps through fake walls
- chainsaw-only action
- very tall lifts you have to ride more than once
- most importantly, MIDI music with lots of accordian