Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TEDIUM

n00b editing question: How do I use custom textures on only one map?

Hello, I am trying to combine a few pwads into an iwad, but I'm not the most experienced with this sorta thing. I have gotten all my maps to work in order and all, but the textures from one map are being used on all maps. How do I limit these textures to just that one map?

TEDIUM said:

Hello, I am trying to combine a few pwads into an iwad,

You don't. IWAD is "Internal" WAD, like Doom.wad or Doom2.wad or Plutonia.wad (one of the commercial ones that contains full game resources like sprites and graphics), while PWAD is an usermade "Patch" WAD (runs with an IWAD, and only contains selected resources, for example maps). You simply mean that you're combining single maps into one wad, right?

TEDIUM said:

but the textures from one map are being used on all maps.

Please elaborate: What's the undesired effect that you can observe? Do the levels somehow display wrong textures because you've used same names for different ones, or what?

I put kickdm2.wad in the larger pk3, now all menus and levels have Kick Attack! textures and sounds. I wanna keep all that confined to the kickdm level and have everything else look like vanilla doom.

Kickdm2.wad probably replaces stock textures and stock sounds. If it does, you can't limit the effect on just a part of your wad / pk3, it will take effect in the entire one. What you can do is to edit the kickdm2 texture names and then edit the map to have the new names, you can also rename all sounds with new names, redefine them in SNDINFO and then use DECORATE to create new monster classes with these new sounds and then repopulate the given map with these new monsters instead of the old ones. Generally, this would mean an extreme amount of work for you. Better just reconcile with the fact that what you want is not easily doable, given the fact that you're merging wads that replace stock resources.

scifista42 said:

Generally, this would mean an extreme amount of work for you.

With SLADE 3 it can be reduced quite a bit. Archive->Maintenance->Replace in maps can be used to mass-replace things or textures in an archive. So you can rename the Kick textures, and then replace the old names with the new names in the maps; without having to open each map in a map editor to do the replacements.

Would it be possible to just load it as a separate pwad when starting up doom? Also, there is no "replace" option in Slade that I can find

Gez said:

With SLADE 3 it can be reduced quite a bit. Archive->Maintenance->Replace in maps can be used to mass-replace things or textures in an archive. So you can rename the Kick textures, and then replace the old names with the new names in the maps; without having to open each map in a map editor to do the replacements.

That feature is cool, but when Doom Dude tried it this happened. TL;DR: Replacing names of fewer than 8 characters is buggy.