Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

what is DSGIBDTH?

just a random curiosity question:

while playtesting some maps (latest pr-boom+ 2.5.1.4) I noticed I could cause some strange player death behaviors. If I would kill myself repeatedly, *sometimes* it would play an unusual noise and the player perspective would change. example:

first two times I gibbed myself it played the sound I'm used to, third time it played DSGIBDTH (found within prboom-plus.wad) and the perspective got all funky (you can see your own gib chunks in a similar way as if you were killed by an enemy).

Can anyone explain what causes this to happen? peeking through the source I see the sound effect is associated with A_SkullPop, but I don't know enough about the code to know else that function is associated with. I tried searching a bit but couldn't find anything, so I was hoping some of the local prb gurus might know what's going on.

Apparently, it means that your head fell off and you can see your corpse exploding.

It depends on the "e6y" variable. :) But I'm not sure I understand how it's calculated. It's all in the P_KillMobj function:

dboolean   e6y = false;

if (target->player && source && target->health < -target->info->spawnhealth &&
    !demorecording && !demoplayback)
  {
    angle_t ang = R_PointToAngle2(target->x, target->y, source->x, source->y) - target->angle;
    e6y = (ang > (unsigned)(ANG180 - ANG45) && ang < (unsigned)(ANG180 + ANG45));
  }

<...>

if (e6y)
  {
    P_SetMobjState (target, S_PLAY_GDIE1);
  }
  else
  {
    if (target->health < -target->info->spawnhealth && target->info->xdeathstate)
      P_SetMobjState (target, target->info->xdeathstate);
    else
      P_SetMobjState (target, target->info->deathstate);
  }
According to the code, it won't work if the demo is being recorded or played.

Sounds to me like a Heretic borrowing. Yet this is Doom and I don't understand why would it use Heretic effects.

I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the beheading death cut from the game. Since the sprites aren't present in the IWADs, the new states are using the regular gib death, but you could always modify them with a DEHACKED patch.

That other death with the flying torso could also work.

[edit]

I just made a small wad with the former death implemented. Looks kinda meh, because when the head finally lands and you can see the corpse, the death animation is already finished.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DxOfPvG2G1V3BCWmJtVHpldzg/view?usp=sharing

The archive contains a modified table for WhackEd4 with the following additions:

- A_SkullPop and A_Stop (the latter should've been present to begin with).
- SECRET and GIBDTH sounds.
- 9 new states.
- 2 new things: music changer and player's head.

To trigger this new death, you need to face west. Why such an arbitrary condition and not a simple RNG call - I have no idea.

hah that's interesting. so if I'm interpreting correctly it happens if you get gibbed while facing a specific direction? what a weird design choice. weird that it was included in boom at all, really, though I guess it might've been an oversight if it was originally intended for heretic support.

thanks for the info guys :D

Linguica said:

Wait... this is just a normal thing in the latest PrBoom-plus? What the hell?

Yeah I'm not following this either. If this was to support the sliced death, then it should have been documented.

Trying to become more BRUTAL, are we?

Memfis said:

Umm, does it really exist in Boom? Looks like an easter egg added by entryway to me.

It was added with the following commit message:

$ svn log -c 4227
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r4227 | entryway | 2012-03-29 16:32:31 +0200 (Thu, 29 Mar 2012) | 1 line

stuff
------------------------------------------------------------------------

fabian said:

It was added with the following commit message:

Back when CIA.vc worked, huge commits (dozens of files, hundreds or thousands of lines changed) with a short and entirely undescriptive message ("stuff", in particular) were a running joke. Then this massive patch turns up in my inbox and I said "you won't believe what that commit actually does"...

Quasar said:

>____>

Quite. I imagine you remember this too.

Memfis said:

Looks like an easter egg added by entryway to me.

I believe that is correct.

Ribbiks said:

hah that's interesting. so if I'm interpreting correctly it happens if you get gibbed while facing a specific direction? what a weird design choice. weird that it was included in boom at all, really, though I guess it might've been an oversight if it was originally intended for heretic support.

thanks for the info guys :D

It's not just facing a certain direction - it is relative to the direction of the attacker vs. the victim's view angle, if I'm reading it correctly. Being killed from the side, when you otherwise would not be looking at what killed you, unless, again, I'm reading it wrong. "DeathCam" :)

Ralphis said:

Surely you've made your yearly donation to the project?

I thought I'd give you the ratio of my contributions to yours and then remembered that division by zero is an illegal operation.

Never_Again said:

Yeah, that's some real neat shit there. Too bad that with 33 open tickets dating back as far as 2009 I cannot appreciate it fully.

I don't think that the sheer number of open tickets on a bug tracker is a good measure to judge a source port by. Take for example Chocolate Doom which has 136 open tickets dating back as far as 2008. By your metrics, the port would be in a desolate state, which of course it isn't!

I think what prboom-plus really needs is a serious bug triage. Having file some of the 33 open bugs, I see that some of them are already fixed in the SVN version and should thus get closed. Some others are strictly only suggestions and should maybe get moved over to the "Feature Requests" section. All in all I'd say that prboom-plus is well maintained and in a good condition.

The open tickets were mentioned strictly in the context of this thread, not as a port worthiness measure.

The end of your post reminded me of "Everything Is Fine" from this, BTW. Thank you for brightening up my day. In December, when the last stable release celebrates its fourth anniversary, I'll remind you of this thread.

Never_Again said:

The open tickets were mentioned strictly in the context of this thread, not as a port worthiness measure.

I fail to see how your mumblings about the port's open tickets are in any possible way related to the easter egg discussed here, but maybe that's just me.

In December, when the last stable release celebrates its fourth anniversary, I'll remind you of this thread.

Granted, releases are a bit sparse lately. But if you use the "test" version built from SVN "everything is fine". ;)

fabian said:

I fail to see how your mumblings about the port's open tickets are in any possible way related to the easter egg discussed here, but maybe that's just me.

You also fail to see how the easter egg discussed here doesn't do a thing to make Prb+ a better port, but worry not, it's not just you.

fabian said:

Granted, releases are a bit sparse lately. But if you use the "test" version built from SVN "everything is fine". ;)

Fine? Try awesome.

Granted, I'm still using the test version from August 2012. Somehow, I didn't find better support for Chex Quest and jumping convincing enough reasons to update.

Never_Again said:

You also fail to see how the easter egg discussed here doesn't do a thing to make Prb+ a better port, but worry not, it's not just you.

Fine? Try awesome.

Granted, I'm still using the test version from August 2012. Somehow, I didn't find better support for Chex Quest and jumping convincing enough reasons to update.

I'm pretty sure whining like a bitch doesn't improve the port either. Why don't you fix a bug or two?

Like you did with your wigglefix? Ever heard a saying about stones and glass houses?

So it's either join the circle jerk or whine like a bitch? Does your worldview have room for a third option, something a little more civil and mature, perhaps? Judging by the Legacy issues thread it does, but only when it's important not to offend important people. In other cases it's OK to let it fly without thinking twice about it.

Never_Again said:

Like you did with your wigglefix? Ever heard a saying about stones and glass houses?

Do what? Not seeing it - I scrolled through the whole page...

Never_Again said:

So it's either join the circle jerk or whine like a bitch? Does your worldview have room for a third option, something a little more civil and mature, perhaps?

Don't know about your option 1, but I did supply option 3: "Submit a fix".

Never_Again said:

Judging by the Legacy issues thread it does, but only when it's important not to offend important people. In other cases it's OK to let it fly without thinking twice about it.

Has nothing to do with people's individual importance. I don't categorize people - everyone's important in their own way.

And you're right, I am hoping for something a little more civil and mature. I don't think beating up the forum users is productive, and I'm pretty sure it is not necessary. It's just plain disrespectful. I would defend you in the same way. But, my focus is generally on what the port devs are doing, so I usually don't notice each thread.

Now, I'll admit that what I posted was shitty. But, come on, man, I doubt that it offended you. Use that righteousness in your posts, that's all I'm suggesting. You're smart enough to know the difference.

Never_Again said:

So it's either join the circle jerk or whine like a bitch? Does your worldview have room for a third option, something a little more civil and mature, perhaps? Judging by the Legacy issues thread it does, but only when it's important not to offend important people. In other cases it's OK to let it fly without thinking twice about it.

Are you seriously attacking kb1 because there were some initial problems after wiggle fix was implemented?

I don't even understand your tone in this thread. Are there serious problem with the current prb+ ? (I'm not using it because I never play with infinitely tall actors)

Doom Legacy is a totally different story.