Which do you choose?  

137 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which do you choose?

• E2M2: Containment Area
    • MAP29: The Living End

cannonball said:

Crates fail because Sandy didn't make them out of FIREBLU

By that logic you should vote for E2M2 as it avenged E3M6 by killing E1M1.

I hope that regardless of the outcome, one this is all over we'll see a community project to make a megaWAD of E2M2-inspired levels. 32 levels of crate mazes. Doomguy must embark on an epic journey through the UAC's vast storage zone to defeat the Crateodemon, a Cyberdemon-like behemoth that is half-demon, half-crate.

Tarnsman said:

Not fucking crates means that you're a bigot.

Those crates are full of staplers! It's an abusive relationship!

AD_79 said:

voting for E2M2 means you're a cratefucker

http://oglaf.com/fairest/ (NWS)

fraggle said:

I hope that regardless of the outcome, one this is all over we'll see a community project to make a megaWAD of E2M2-inspired levels. 32 levels of crate mazes. Doomguy must embark on an epic journey through the UAC's vast storage zone to defeat the Crateodemon, a Cyberdemon-like behemoth that is half-demon, half-crate.

If you don't mind using ZDoom for a bit, you should give Beyond Reality a try.

fraggle said:

Absolutely. Such a project would allow for a lot of crativity.

It would be cool to have some form of crateception, where you enter a crate to find a world-within-a-crate (vastly larger on the inside than the outside), and this of course can go on recursively. That could be an recurring in-level gimmick, and/or a mechanism for moving between levels (a bit like Going Down).

Some useful words for level names: Crater, Socrates, Execrate, Desecrate (secret level), Consecrate.

Fredrik said:

Some useful words for level names: Crater, Socrates, Execrate, Desecrate (secret level), Consecrate.

Don't forget the value of jamming words together:

Elimicrate
Excoricration
Crateastrophe

E2M2 for me because it is one of the really iconic levels of the game that stood out, especially within the context of its episode, and was extremely memorable.

Though I do not dislike MAP29 for any particular reason, for me it was just the last slog at the end of a very long slog. It has an issue with its ending that could have been fixed with some bars and literally 3 lines of code added to the engine. Also, it ran about 10 FPS on my 486DX4 75, and that's gotta count as one minus point at least :P

I wonder how many of the people voting have replayed those maps recently, and if any of them haven't played the original two Doom's in a long time because Who knows people might just be going by memory when voting.

Memfis said:
Do we know any megawads with no crates at all? [/B]

vdgg said:

I've to check it thoroughly, but what about Cleimos II?

Memfis said:

I tried "removing unused textures" in Slade and it didn't remove CRATE1 and CRATINY, so they must be somewhere...

vdgg said:

Cleim20 MAP01-12 are crateless, MAP13 has one big plus one tiny crate. I think I'll create a thread about these "WADs with almost no crates" later.

While various CLEIM20 levels use CRATOPx flats, MAP13 is the only one with actual crates:

fraggle said:

I hope that regardless of the outcome, one this is all over we'll see a community project to make a megaWAD of E2M2-inspired levels. 32 levels of crate mazes.

That sounds really basic. A megawad of warehouse levels! I'd prefer a megawad of tall caverns with acid floor…

I've recently got an idea for a megawad, where each map must entirely fit into a 1024x1024x1024 cube, and texturing must primarily consist of stock crate textures. Everything else allowed.

Had a quick play through both maps from pistol start to refresh my memory.

E2M2 played much as I remembered it, a pretty fun berserk stomp around a map that spawned a thousand crate warehouses in the years to come.

MAP29 was a total bastard. Having previously played it rarely due to it's position and then only in continuous play, I got trashed repeatedly.

If I had found the plasma gun things would probably have proceeded more smoothly, but it's pretty well hidden and not even marked as a secret. That combined with the rough aesthetic, makes me wonder if MAP29 is basically a speed map, it certainly felt like one.

So I'll go with E2M2, because punching imps with room to dodge and weave is fun, and your secrets within secrets are awesome. Screw you MAP29 for making me punch cacodemons on narrow ledges and secrets that aren't secret.

I've just replayed both maps, and I've come to the same conclusions as before. MAP29 was more impressive on the surface, E2M2 was more fun in substance. If they were persons, MAP29 would be sexy, but once you know it, boring (beyond the one thing it can do well) and also treacherous (I lacked weapons, ran out of ammo and died in lava), while E2M2 would be average-looking at most, unexpressive, non-assertive, but kind, fair and capable (easy, never punishing, and fun), and more than enough interesting with its inner wealth (nonlinearity, varied locations, exploration, atmosphere, semi-realism).

scifista42 said:

I've just replayed both maps, and I've come to the same conclusions as before. MAP29 was more impressive on the surface, E2M2 was more fun in substance. If they were persons, MAP29 would be sexy, but once you know it, boring (beyond the one thing it can do well) and also treacherous (I lacked weapons, ran out of ammo and died in lava), while E2M2 would be average-looking at most, unexpressive, non-assertive, but kind, fair and capable (easy, never punishing, and fun), and more than enough interesting with its inner wealth (nonlinearity, varied locations, exploration, atmosphere, semi-realism).

10/10; would date e2m2 and take to the movies.

Do people like E2M2 more because it's easier?

Personally, if E2M2 was harder, I'd like it even more. But there are more factors, for example freedom in movement (and all the other ones I've already mentioned), that help making the map enjoyable.