Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Looking for free mp3 music for my half-life map

So now that Brutal Half-life is released, I am working on a Doom style half-life map and would love to have some sweet heavy rock music to go with it. Problem is that using copyrighted music would probably be frowned upon. I did a bit of googling but did not really find much that would go well with a fps level. Does anybody know about a free music track that would go well with a fast paced first person shooter?

EDIT: Perhaps I could just use Quake 2's music and hope nobody would care? I don't see any copyright strikes issued against people who use Quake textures in their Doom wads.

It may be kinda silly but there are online tools that will convert a midi to an mp3 with a cool soundfont.

You might have some luck looking at the content of open-source games like Nexuiz. They tend to have music you can use, although last time I played Nexuiz (2006?) it didn't have any music that fit your request. One of its classic versions or forks might. That just comes to mind because it's an FPS game.

It'd be a good idea to convert whatever song you plan on using into an .ogg using Audacity, cutting out any silences along the way.

The thing is, mp3s tend to pause when they loop and are a lot larger than oggs at a lower quality level.

Oh,here's a better one ..

Someone has already released a similar map for svencoop ,i was thinking about porting it to Vanilla Half-Life

Glaice said:

I found some cool tracks on those sites but nothing that would go well with the level. The problem is that those rock songs aren't really heavy or fast enough.

Those Doom songs linked to above sound cool. Perhaps I will use them though I don't know if I will use those exact Doom songs. Though honestly I am a bit tempted to go with my original idea of using Quake 2 music. I think this one for example is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBKFB28E0M

EDIT: For some reason the track won't play in-game. It plays in the editor but not in the actual game.

EDIT: What the fuck and now my character sometimes just dies for no reason at random points during the map as well as enemies.

Speaking of game music generally: try listening fallout 1 & 2 soundtracks while studying. Post-apocalyptic sounds are quite soothing with flutes and wind blowing in the backround