Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Oh my gwad [now on IDgames!]

FDA (failed, I'll probably play the rest later). Standard joe-ilya wad. Oldschool-style ugly gritty visuals, and kinda uninspired linear progression and orthogonal structure, and it's not specially interesting or thrilling to play, but fun enough. Good simple work (simple even if extensive).

I actually really enjoyed this map. Gameplay is much improved, with a linear start that opens up into a big play field. The visuals are still pretty eclectic, but that's cool! They feel more like an intended style in this map compared to your previous work, which felt random. (being inspired by ksutra makes a lot of sense :)

Fantastic work!

I suck so hard, even after 5 tries i couldnt get past the first Arch-Ville... i really need to go to a doom training camp. ^^

I just had a go with this. This was certainly an improvement in your previous mapping skills. The level had good gameplay overall. Keep it up.

joe-ilya said:

-A Punk midi

Why not use something different for once, like a Mark Klem or a Jimmy midi? :|

EDIT: Map seems to be pretty decent, although it's very orthogonal and there's still a bit too much 32 grid usage (trust me, when I say it it means something, I overuse the 32 grid). Aside from that, not bad.

Good map Joe, I had a blast! The section with the doors constantly opening and closing due to monsters had potential to be a clusterfuck, but it turned out well. Very unforgiving in places but fair. Visuals improving greatly, more maps like this please.

glenzinho said:

^ you mean something different that most people do?

I mean something different that most people do that doesn't make me manually turn off the in-game midi and replace it with better midi.

-Colorful adventure 'i:::i'

Just finished:

- Loved it, forget the haters.
- Try to find more ways to prevent monsters from moving other than Block Monster, such as a high base for the moving hell knight pillars that can use brought down like a lift.
- I only managed to find the berserk secret, which was easy (20%)
- I went through the teleporter at the end instead of shooting the bars etc and when I tried to get back, the brick wall after the platform with the 3 switches was down and could not be moved, so I was stuck.

';,,; / ';,,;'

Here's a quick FDA. I held on all the way past the cyberdemon crushers, but the subsequent arch-vile trap ended my run. No time to go through again right now, but I look forward to replaying it eventually.

Quite a fun map, I get a sense of much more polish and design intent than from some of your earlier stuff. The music fits great, too.

This was certainly among your small collection of bests. Good shit joe Keep it up. Once again, I'd offer a fda but played on a Z port.

random crappy thoughts from me after playing on ITYTD:

-there's a berserk secret at the beginning, later on there's a chainsaw secret, which I didn't find too necessary.
-the backpack and BFG secrets required extremely meticulous SR50 jumping and were next to impossible to reach legitimately.
-why, WHY did you have to have a Plutonia-style resurrecting chaingunner? at least I quickly released the archie.
-other than that, I actually enjoyed the eastern half of the map. props for that.
-I hated the three-switch area, the right switch is useless and you only need to hit the left switch twice.
-the Cyberdreams-style area was a fucking luckfest as far as I know. good thing I only had to tangle with three of them on ITYTD.
-the consistently teleporting archie room was another Plutonia gimmick done wrong.
-the western courtyard had an interesting gimmick with four switch presses killing Keens in dummy sectors to open the way northward. I messed up a lot in this area but it's okay I guess.
-the spiderdemon and the Dead Simple-style arena at the end weren't difficult at all.
-CRITICAL BUG: taking the teleporter near the end takes you all the way back to the beginning, but attempting to go back results in me being stuck near the three-switch area (just before the Cyberdreams-style room)
-two arachnotrons in teleport closets were marked deaf and therefore never made it into the map.
-you might want to get rid of the ammo box on top of the arrow that points to the Romero head, as rockets are required to get rid of him.

overall, it's mediocre, but I can handle it apart from the bugs, the Cyberdemon and teleporting archie room.

-Swapped the items
-Made them easier to obtain
-I don't see a problem, sure it's picking at you and makes combat a little specific, but what's wrong?
-Cool.
-It's not useless, it's incase you push the left switch three times and don't want to make an awkward jump.
-I made it a little easier, the crusher activator doesn't require you to go deep into the hallway which made the rockets of the cyber really easier to dodge.
-Removed the middle AV and put the HK there.
-Heh.
-Will another SMM spice it up?
-Fixed, there's a switch now.
-Fixed.
-It's here incase you run out of bullets to open the bars.

Nice map joe! I didn't have enough time to play through the whole thing so I had to quit early, here's a partial FDA though. I liked this map a lot, and even the music was pretty fitting. The red bricks, marble faces and blue lights definitely remind me of ksutra. I really liked the room after the red roor, with all the imps facing the doors, so when you wake them up they open the doors revealing more monsters. Cool trap! The cyberdemon part was cruel, though! I'll give it another try later.

joe-ilya said:

-It's here incase you run out of bullets to open the bars.

I could punch the bars with the fist though. also, you don't have to take everything I said into account, I only played this on ITYTD.

I personally thought that both the reviving chaingunner and teleporting archviles were fun, challenging in a good way. The Cyberdreams area was OK, but I didn't care for it that much. In the final area, adding a 2nd SMM teleporting over the 1st one when he dies might work, unfortunately there's already way too many monsters to infight with him in the room - maybe some Pain Elementals instead of Arachnotrons would reduce the "just let them infight" approach to win the room.

AD_79 said:

Why not use something different for once, like a Mark Klem or a Jimmy midi? :|

EDIT: Map seems to be pretty decent, although it's very orthogonal and there's still a bit too much 32 grid usage (trust me, when I say it it means something, I overuse the 32 grid). Aside from that, not bad.

these seem like weeeird complaints. none of these things detriment the map at all. also nothing wrong with the punk midis, everyone uses jimmy/klem midis so its nice to hear different stuff. i'm not just saying that to be contrarian, its just silly to say "you should do these things that everyone else does" but not at least explain why.

Version 3
One critical change is the cyberdemon room, I've replaced each cyber with 4 chaingunners, this way the arena gets cleared quickier. Only the middle cyber is left.

joe-ilya said:

One critical change is the cyberdemon room, I've replaced each cyber with 4 chaingunners, this way the arena gets cleared quickier. Only the middle cyber is left.

"gets cleared quickier" - I thought that crushers would kill all of the Cyberdemons within the same time as the mandatory middle one, plus chaingunners cheaply cannot be dodged, so I don't think this is an improvement at all, actually.

scifista42 said:

"gets cleared quickier" - I thought that crushers would kill all of the Cyberdemons within the same time as the mandatory middle one, plus chaingunners cheaply cannot be dodged, so I don't think this is an improvement at all, actually.

But I've put a soulsphere. You just need to act quickly.

Version 4
New sounds, new graphics, another easter egg(not in the map) and more MIDIs, so you can change the track incase you're burnout of this one.
And the middle cyber is now replaced by 4 barons of hell.

I understand, but it's just to get rid out of the doom sounds I don't like, I can remove them if you want.

The furthest I'd go with a single map WAD is a new TITLEPIC and INTERPIC. If a user doesn't like the default sounds, they can always load additional mods or make their own.

Anyways, I liked this map - especially the first area. It had some unique details and felt far better than the maps you've made in the past. I only played version 1 so far, but I might take a look at the later ones too. The only big criticisms I have are the gimmicky fights (like the cyberdemon room and the arch-vile thing) but I believe you already addressed these points. Looking forward to seeing your next map!