Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zed

Suspicious (probably intentional) plane crash in French Alps

Another plane crashed, this time a Germanwings plane with 150 people.

According to the first reports, it may have been intentional:

http://ktla.com/2015/03/26/germanwings-co-pilot-deliberately-accelerated-the-descent-of-plane-that-crashed-prosecutor/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/27/world/europe/andreas-lubitz-germanwings-co-pilot-showed-no-warning-signs-before-crash-airline-says.html?_r=0

Also, it seems on third of the victims were from Spain, as the plane was flying from Barcelona to Düsseldorf.

Two were from Melbourne close to where I live. This is an absolutely sickening selfish act that is correctly being labelled as mass murder on the radio station that I'm currently listening to. Apparently the pilot was desperately trying to get back inside of the cockpit that he was locked out of, so the passengers were well aware of what was happening. I can't begin to imagine the terror they must have suffered.

Probably one of the biggest mass murder-suicides ever in the history of aviation (not counting terrorist attacks, mind).

That fucking douche could've at least had the decency to kill himself without taking a plane full of people with him.

SYS said:

That fucking douche could've at least had the decency to kill himself without taking a plane full of people with him.

Sometimes, I wish there definitely was a Hell.

Kontra Kommando said:

Sometimes, I wish there definitely was a Hell.

But what if he defeats the Icon Of Sin and somehow makes it back?

The co-pilot's parents travelled to the scene of the crash assuming their son was a victim of an awful accident but have since been seperated from the other mourners when the extent of his involvement was discovered. I found that really sad, they must have no idea how to feel.

In the news today it was revealed that a significant discovery was found during the search of the co-pilot's home. Perhaps it will give some insight into what on earth he was thinking during his dispicable final act.

And then again there's always the chance that the tables could be turned and the accident being attributed to a sudden malaise or an acute crisis of some mental illness, which could at least partially absolve the co-pilot.

Crash investigations are complicated affairs that can take a long time, and are not always exempt from outside interventions. In the meantime, the craziest and most complicated explanations and theories can pop up. What was the status on MH17 and MH370, again?

That guy whatshisname shot a bunch of girls then killed himself because he couldn't get laid. I'd say better than 50% chance that's exactly what this was all about.

Maes said:

And then again there's always the chance that the tables could be turned and the accident being attributed to a sudden malaise or an acute crisis of some mental illness, which could at least partially absolve the co-pilot.

Crash investigations are complicated affairs that can take a long time, and are not always exempt from outside interventions. In the meantime, the craziest and most complicated explanations and theories can pop up. What was the status on MH17 and MH370, again?

One was destroyed by a ground-based anti-air missile and the other had an electrical fire+failure and got lost in an ocean.

Looks like I was right.

As the hunt continued for a motive for Lubitz’s mass murder, it also emerged that he had recently split from his girlfriend, and appeared to have made a desperate last attempt to win her back by buying her a brand new Audi car only weeks ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11501075/Andreas-Lubitz-planned-spectacular-gesture-that-would-go-down-in-history-claims-ex-girlfriend.html

AndrewB said:

Looks like I was right.

Yeah, posting "your" hypotheses that ran through all major media at least a day earlier makes you "right". :P

Well, I didn't read any of those. Plus the article I posted is timestamped 7 minutes after my post. Besides, I came up with this theory days ago but never got around to posting it. So there.

No offense to the mental health rights movement, but to me this should be a red flag when hiring someone to regularly pilot around 150 people:

Lubitz is reported to have taken time out from his pilot training after suffering mental illness before he finally qualified.

There is no way to screen for this. People get depressed in their lives and their careers. The ones among them who decide to go out with a bang are basically random.

Clamping down is only going to give more people reason to avoid medical treatment for depression for fear of ruining their careers and lives, which plenty of people do anyway.

Maes said:

And then again there's always the chance that the tables could be turned and the accident being attributed to a sudden malaise or an acute crisis of some mental illness, which could at least partially absolve the co-pilot. . .

. . . In the meantime, the craziest and most complicated explanations and theories can pop up.

Demonic possession, like in Doom 3?

Why couldn't he just jump off a bridge, or accidentally shoot himself while "cleaning a gun" as one of my neighbors did.

VGA said:

One was destroyed by a ground-based anti-air missile and the other had an electrical fire+failure and got lost in an ocean.

Really? I was under the impression that investigations on MH17 are still inconclusive or at least withheld by the Dutch investigators (knee-jerk, emotional "Them Evil Ivans dunnit!" responses notwithstanding), and as for MH370, I was surprised to see that the same exact pilot suicide theory was brought forward at some point.

No doubt, now that the pilot suicide theory is "trending", I'm sure someone will try to retroactively apply it to the infamous Helios Flight 522.

AndrewB said:

There is no way to screen for this. People get depressed in their lives and their careers. The ones among them who decide to go out with a bang are basically random.

Clamping down is only going to give more people reason to avoid medical treatment for depression for fear of ruining their careers and lives, which plenty of people do anyway.

You're probably right. I was being shortsighted.

There's a balance to be achieved between not stigmatising mental health issues and ensuring public safety. Clearly where pilots of commercial airliners are concerned, that balance needs to shift to the latter.

Certainly there should never be one person left alone in a cockpit able to lock themselves in there. Whether that's a design issue or protocol issue, it can at least be addressed. Achieving legislation to that end is the only proper way to honour the victims of this crash.

AndrewB said:

Yes. New legislation to honor victims always turns out well.

Five lights on my AndrewB sarcasm detector are lit up.

Care to expand upon that comment?

boris said:

Latest news is that he ate pizza with broccoli.

I wonder how and why such information makes its way to known news...

AndrewB said:

Patriot act, war on drugs, zero tolerance weapons policies, etc...

All of which are supremely relevant, of course.