Estranged - 32 level Boom megawad - idgames release

AD_79 said:

I uploaded a set to idgames a few days ago containing OGG music and it was accepted.

Had you made the tracks specifically for your project? if so then that's allowed, it's because the tracks aren't my own which you could get away with in the past but not anymore :(

Hey Foodles, just want to say that i'm a big fan of your mapping style. It's a great, classic adventure but at the same time refined and with a lot of care, including good choices of textures and a competent architecture. The only thing that bothers me is the linearity of some of the maps (I prefer layouts like map08), but I guess this is part of your style and I'm cool with that.

Please don't hesitate to send this to idgames just because of some oggs. Idgames is the best database for megawads like yours.

Foodles said:

Had you made the tracks specifically for your project? if so then that's allowed, it's because the tracks aren't my own which you could get away with in the past but not anymore :(

Well no, but they were free to download (on Bandcamp). I checked with a couple people and they said that this was okay.

Foodles said:

Yo I'm back to give to you the Final version of Estranged! Unfortunately at some point in the last 5 years the rules for uploading to idgames have changed and OGG files are no longer accepted and since I feel that changing the music to stock doom tracks would change the spirit of the affected levels it seems there won't be an idgames release :(

The REJECTS file says:

Tue Dec  1 16:18:23 EST 2015 Rejected estrangd.zip because: no commercial music

README.INCOMING says:

4.  Do not embed commercial MP3s/OGGs as music in WADs. ...

The problem isn't the file format, it's that the music is still being sold. The policy is in place because record labels are notoriously protective of their copyright, and the last thing this community needs is for the /idgames archive to draw unwanted attention from their lawyers. There's tons of royalty-free music if you know where to look, and the Free Music Archive is a good place to start.

Additionally, some songs in this WAD have MIDI equivalents you can find on vgmusic.com and other places, which include the following (copy and paste the addresses into your address bar to download these):
MAP15: Halo 2 - Leonidas (by NeoRetro10K)
MAP27: Super Mario Galaxy - Melty Molten Galaxy (by DarkSB24)
MAP31: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Dimble Wood Forest (by Daniel Tievsky)
MAP32: Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away (author unknown)

EDIT (5:17 PM PST): Fixed last URL (thanks Gez).
EDIT (Dec. 3, 2015 12:15 AM PST): README.INCOMING has since been updated to proof the "no commercial music" rule against obsolescence and misinterpretation.

Foodles: With regards to TGH's post, if you want, I should be able to do a MIDI of Narwhal without much trouble. Love that song.

Eris Falling said:

Foodles: With regards to TGH's post, if you want, I should be able to do a MIDI of Narwhal without much trouble. Love that song.

If you could whip something up without too much trouble I'd be really grateful.

Also thanks TGH for the links, I'll get around to adding them and maybe we'll see an idgames release!

I was dying to play this after reading a great review but got quickly tired of the boring and repetitive textures/lighting... If you can spruce these up I think the wad would be killer!

Gustavo6046 said:

Can't I midify 29?

Good luck with that!!!

Eris Falling said:

This only leaves 29

There's also the lovely title music. Foodles didn't list where that was from.

I just saw that music, and I though "Shit, I better make a better music for map29 rather than midify that."

Gustavo6046 said:

I just saw that music, and I though "Shit, I better make a better music for map29 rather than midify that."

Yeah, good luck with that.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

There's also the lovely title music. Foodles didn't list where that was from.

"Space Junk Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy. A (very well done) MIDI of that exists here.

I found an online ogg to midi converter for MAP29. One that actually seemed to work, somewhat. The instrumentation isn't correct, but at least it's a start, although the file seems large for a midi. There was a time I did some minor midi editing, back with Cakewalk 9, but I'm not a real musician. Maybe someone with better skillz could take it from here?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zmb6m7b03he3pnt/D_SHAWN3.mid

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I found an online ogg to midi converter for MAP29. One that actually seemed to work, somewhat.

Where did you find this?

I appreciate the pointers, but there's one "small" problem

Every note in the entire song has been merged into one track, and effectively with no tempo: It's been forced to fit into 120BPM. Admittedly the only thing that's really putting me off about converting it (other than the fact I'm trying to finish one of my own tracks) is that background pattern that plays at the start and runs throughout the song, but even that is a garbled mess here.

EDIT: Oh well, may as well have a bit of fun with it :P

Ahhh! I opened the converted file in MidiEditor and it showed 16 channels, all as Acoustic Grand Piano. I was so happy it converted at all, I failed to notice that channels 1-15 were grayed out and everything was in track 0. Sorry.

Eris Falling said:

Ok, here's 28
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rpa97firiqonfih/Narwhal.mid
Turned out to be more difficult than I was expecting :P

Wow awesome! Thank you, it actually sounds pretty good and I really appreciate the work you put in to help me out.

OK so here's where I'm at, I've replaced all the custom music with the respective midi versions except for map29 and the breaking benjamin track for map32 (the midi didn't sound very good at all). I understand why map29's music would be hard to make a midi of and I was actually thinking of replacing the map29 music with the doom track from computer station - it's not as good but I think it has a foreboding atmosphere that would fit quite well.

As for the music with map32 I'm not sure yet, I'll have a ponder make a decision soon!

(Also a side benefit of replacing the OGG tracks is that the file size has gone down to 17MB uncompressed)