Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Doom will have to re-write its story

Yeh they say in 20 years they will be there, water is so important for generating fuel for return

No, the presence of ice doesn't affect the fact that it's impossible to build a military base on phobos in any way.

My guess is that the oceans froze, then just sat there so long that they collected dust.

Lament said:

No, the presence of ice doesn't affect the fact that it's impossible to build a military base on phobos in any way.

It's not impossible to build a military base on Phobos. It'd be impossible to have an atmosphere and Earth-like gravity there though.

Which is why, when playing Doom shareware or Ultimate Doom with Legacy, I always turn the gravity down a few notches. I mean, Phobos AND Deimos are fucking rocks for cryin' out loud that managed to get pulled into Mars' gravity eons ago. Earth-like gravity is simply ridiculous on a Martian Lunar base of any kind.

DooMBoy said:

Which is why, when playing Doom shareware or Ultimate Doom with Legacy, I always turn the gravity down a few notches. I mean, Phobos AND Deimos are fucking rocks for cryin' out loud that managed to get pulled into Mars' gravity eons ago. Earth-like gravity is simply ridiculous on a Martian Lunar base of any kind.

Not really. You could create artificially Earth-like gravity by placing a black hole in the middle of the moon or something :P

Apparently phobos is in a decaying orbit... in a few million years it's gonna splatter itself all over the martian real estate.

Now that would be something to see.

Fredrik said:

Not really. You could create artificially Earth-like gravity by placing a black hole in the middle of the moon or something :P

And it would remain in orbit?

deep said:

And it would remain in orbit?

Yes, if you placed a similar black hole inside Mars ;)

If you did that, not only Mars, Phobos and Deimos would get sucked, but Earth and the rest of the planets, meteroids, asteroids, UFOs, and moons would get sucked in, not to mention the sun itself.
And that would mean no Doom.

If you did that, not only Mars, Phobos and Deimos would get sucked, but Earth and the rest of the planets, meteroids, asteroids, UFOs, and moons would get sucked in, not to mention the sun itself.

Not necessarily. A black hole with the mass of Earth could be contained safely within a planet core, I bet.

Uhh.. that, if ANYTHING, would be Doom :)

even UFO's... cool. i dont see why anyone would put a military base on phobos. also isnt doom3's story gonna be on mars

Zaldron said:

Does the presence of ice affect it at all?

I'm asking the same question right now; since when did facts influence gameplay? It's a fictional story, so who cares?

A black hole with the mass of Earth would only last about 500 years anyway, due to evaporation; but it would have exactly the same gravity well as Earth. Put an Earth-mass black hole in Earth's orbit in Earth's place, and you get no orbital perturbation of other bodies at all, since the overall gravitational effects are the same.

Melanomous said:

Story? When did it have one in the first place? Don't ever start with novels.

There was one in the manual that came with the game. One page, too.

darknation said:

Is this guy 100% positive crendo?

Yep, but it seems he has returned...

EDIT: oh look, and he's banned again...

darknation said:

Is this guy 100% positive crendo?

Yes.

Lament said:

That's probably one reason for id to retell the Doom story in Doom 3 and set it on Mars itself.

yeah the artificial gravity and atmosphere are real bullshit science issues, whereas the main theme of hellspawn from another dimension goes without saying.. :)

DooMBoy said:

Uh, everyone, DooMBoy is right. (oxymoron) (maybe)

A black hole is a star with a mass so great that the gravitational pull of it is so frigging high that not even light can escape from it.

Der.

Cren/Banned

Can't people get over the past and spare forgiveness?