Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Can there be a Strife sequel now?

I wonder: now that Strife has become an officially available product, do you think there might come a new Strife, using modern graphics and, even if the original game is not that well known to the public, use plot tropes to make it marketable?

Were there some issues regarding copyrights? Its similar situation with system shock, they can't make system shock 3 because of multiple right owners. I would be so happy if out of nowhere came news concerning new system shock. The atmosphere was so intense in both games you could cut it with a knife.

There's not enough value in Strife's brand to justify another commercial product. It's not going to happen, especially since a sequel would cost vastly more to produce than Strife did.

MetroidJunkie said:

You'd be better off hoping for a fan-made sequel.

I started working on one and then realized I don't have time to do 30+ maps >___>

Quasar said:

I started working on one and then realized I don't have time to do 30+ maps >___>

Wait what? Is it commercial/copyrighted? Do you think it would be better for it if you disclosed it on the forums so others can contribute maps?

Aside from all the business reasons not to do a sequel, I just don't see why it needs one for any artistic reason. The story is simple and self-contained with one major branch and two possible endings from that branch (the worst ending being shared between both paths, totalling 3 unique endings). Where do you go from any of those points?

You could assume the good ending and humanity gets invaded again, but that would be really cheap. Otherwise, maybe you assume the middle ending so that the player has to help rebuild while humanity is vulnerable, which would be a better setup than the former because at least there are meaningful conditions that carry over from the previous story.

It all just seems like a waste of time to me, why not focus on new worlds and ideas?

printz said:

Wait what? Is it commercial/copyrighted? Do you think it would be better for it if you disclosed it on the forums so others can contribute maps?

He was responding to my post where I said you'd be better off waiting for a fan-made sequel so I doubt it's commercial/copyright.

printz said:

I wonder: now that Strife has become an officially available product, do you think there might come a new Strife, using modern graphics and, even if the original game is not that well known to the public, use plot tropes to make it marketable?

Not really officially available, unless you consider "Steam-powered" = "available" (still waiting for the offline GOG version)</rant>

kb1 said:

Not really officially available, unless you consider "Steam-powered" = "available" (still waiting for the offline GOG version)</rant>

You're at least aware that with the source code open, you could buy it on Steam one time, copy the WADs, delete Steam forever, compile the game from source, and have everything except achievements, cloud storage, and Steam-mediated netplay, right?

I am thus far disappointed that nobody has bothered to make a non-Steam SVE executable distro. Guess I'll end up doing it myself at some point :P

IMO if someone has bought it then he can do whatever he wants with it, like using some steam emulation dlls.

But seriously, having steam installed isn't such a big deal.

Piper Maru said:

What's Strife?

See: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Strife
In short, Strife is a 1996 Doom engine based FPS (the last commercially licensed Doom engine game) with RPG elements created by Rogue Entertainment. It has a heavily involved plot and voice acted characters. It also uses a hub map system similar to Hexen, as well as an inventory, and player upgrades. You can get the Veteran Edition on Steam right now. Well worth the money.

VGA said:

IMO if someone has bought it then he can do whatever he wants with it, like using some steam emulation dlls.

But seriously, having steam installed isn't such a big deal.

Particularly since SVE itself is using almost none of the Steam DRM facilities, the least amount we could get away with. It won't launch without the Steam service running, and will disable Steam integration features if the executable doesn't hash according to Steam, but that's pretty much it. Provided it at least thinks Steam is running, the game will still play and is not intentionally crippled in any fashion.

You guys know how I feel about that kind of crap, after all.

So the objection isn't to it being on Steam, necessarily, so much as there's no justification for it since it doesn't use any actual Steam functions.

Altazimuth said:

See: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Strife
In short, Strife is a 1996 Doom engine based FPS (the last commercially licensed Doom engine game) with RPG elements created by Rogue Entertainment. It has a heavily involved plot and voice acted characters. It also uses a hub map system similar to Hexen, as well as an inventory, and player upgrades. You can get the Veteran Edition on Steam right now. Well worth the money.

Ah, thanks for the response. That certainly cleared things up, I'll definitely look into it.

Quasar said:

You're at least aware that with the source code open, you could buy it on Steam one time, copy the WADs, delete Steam forever, compile the game from source, and have everything except achievements, cloud storage, and Steam-mediated netplay, right?

I am thus far disappointed that nobody has bothered to make a non-Steam SVE executable distro. Guess I'll end up doing it myself at some point :P

Yep. It's that one-time requirement that gets me. I had an issue at one point getting Steam set up, and I used all of my available email addresses setting up user accounts. Each time I try it wants an email address, and it seems "pissed off at me" each time I give it one of those. After several attempts, and plenty of emails going nowhere, I threw in the towel. Nowadays, companies do not seem to want to publish a support phone number, and, after a few frustrating attempts to install, create a user account, and use the software, I want to speak to a human.

I'm sure I did something stupid (I was trying to run it through a proxy, for one thing), but, it just got ridiculous.

What ever happened to owning your own software? Sure...Steam will be around for my whole lifetime. Sure...they will honor payments I made 20 years ago. Had it been started in 1993, Steam would be keeping my 1993-purchased Doom copy in working condition, to this day, honoring my $40 purchase, for 22 years? For each computer I owned? Seems unlikely.

I'm very disappointed at the industry in general. I bought Rage pre-release for $60, and actually managed to get a refund, because the web site offering it failed to mention the internet requirement. The only reason I bought it was because I thought I could run it using the supplied media. But, of course, first thing the DVD install program did was look for an internet connection, so it could download 20+ Gb of update. Yes, I got a refund on opened software.

I will buy the new Strife off of someone, if you agree to delete your copy (no warez, please.)

If someone is interested, please PM me, and we can work out a PayPal payment, and a file transfer.

Quasar said:

I am similarly disappointed. I also have tired, but since I have no idea what I'm doing and trying to learn has felt like me trying to shove my head through a brick wall it's gone rather poorly.

I dunno, in general a fan-made sequel to Strife seems rather interesting. There's a lot of potential in Strife that really went unused, so even if there's not much in the way of narrative hooks it could still be a sequel in the way a lot of Dragon Quest games are sequels to the first - basically, take the aesthetic, notable designs, and gameplay elements, and improve them while using a new narrative.