Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glenzinho

New Doom Article

He links to bad wikia. :( But it's a good article, favorable to the good aspects of Doom's level design and gameplay, aspects that I personally also admire. The writer's conclusions seem basically right to me.

Guest Unregistered account

Had fun reading this - and now I can use "Chronological Snobbery" against the peepsbat school. ;D

He writes: "Because Doom was so old, I figured it had nothing to teach me."

This is a big, big error.

Because it is old Doom can teach you a lot about game and level design, and for example how they changed with time.

Angry Saint said:

He writes: "Because Doom was so old, I figured it had nothing to teach me."

This is a big, big error.

Because it is old Doom can teach you a lot about game and level design, and for example how they changed with time.

To be fair, this is a common misconception with just about everything, largely because our society (American, at least, I probably shouldn't speak for every culture) teaches history with the underlying tone of "future = progress", with humanity always striving fowards, making things better than they were before.

@Angry Saint: you're not giving him credit for admitting the error of his way, which he did. Twice.
It's a good article.

Magnusblitz said:

To be fair, this is a common misconception with just about everything, largely because our society (American, at least, I probably shouldn't speak for every culture) teaches history with the underlying tone of "future = progress", with humanity always striving fowards, making things better than they were before.

Yeah, people forget that the past did things right as well and in general people forget that total crap and absolute greatness exists in both past and present. The future has possibility for mistakes too.

Good article in which the writer touches on a lot of what made (and continues to make) Doom special - it's not the be-all and end-all of the game's potential, but his identification of the game's strengths is pretty much Doom Mapping 101.

@Never_Again: you're right. He admits the error. We will forgive him.

The true fact is that in the past they did thing... differently, not better or worse.

Angry Saint said:

The true fact is that in the past they did thing... differently, not better or worse.

No. Generally speaking, very often it's very possible to say whether they did something particular better or worse in the past than we do in the present time.

Xegethra said:

Yeah, people forget that the past did things right as well and in general people forget that total crap and absolute greatness exists in both past and present. The future has possibility for mistakes too.

The future can only become brighter if we use the past to teach us, both what works and what doesn't work.