Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Mortal Kombat X

Two weeks until release, but is anyone else looking forward to this? I really got into MK9, and I'm expecting even greater things from MKX.

The only bummer is that High Voltage Software are handling the PC port again, which will probably mean horrible netcode and broken online multiplayer. But one can hope.

I'd look forward to it a lot more if I didn't know everything about it already. I wish they kept something a secret before launch. Know how everyone hated Evolve for its DLC? Everyone loves MKX for DLC its everything people can't stop talking about.

I got into MK9 as well around last year but I ended up 100 percenting it and getting bored of it after, it was basically the second MK game I ever owned besides for MK4.

The fact that MKX seems to have a similar plot to MK4 makes me interested in it.

It's interesting to see Tremor will be in it.

Avoozl said:

I got into MK9 as well around last year but I ended up 100 percenting it and getting bored of it after, it was basically the second MK game I ever owned besides for MK4.

The fact that MKX seems to have a similar plot to MK4 makes me interested in it.

It's interesting to see Tremor will be in it.

MK4 the one everyone hates. I always thought Kira was the daughter of Kano and Sonya. Guess I was wrong.

since I am a huge fighting game fan I'm of course looking forward to the release. but yeah.. didn't preorder it and not gonna buy it on release. especially as a PC gamer we were disappointed a little bit too much with non-functional netcodes. I'm still angry about Street Fighter X Tekken, which I really wanted to get into. and the DLC and price politics on MKX takes the cake.
definitely gonna wait for user reviews on the technical aspects of the game.

I haven't really kept with that series but I find the gore in the recent ones is a big turn-off. In the older games it was ridiculous; now it's just gross. I can't say exactly when it changed because I stopped paying attention to it at Mortal Kombat 4, and it only got on my radar again because of this:

this kind of over the top fatalities with realistic graphics was introduced with MK9 I would say. especially with the new xray-moves (it's like an SF4-Ultra equivalent) where you do an automatic combo to the enemy with xray vision and you can see how his bones get crushed in slowmo.

funny enough though that in the tournament scene nobody cares about fatalities since it doesn't affect the match itself. it's more like a feature which has to be there because of the history and character of the series (of course it's also an "awesome" show-off feature for the casual player). nowadays nobody cares about those things anyway, the controversial things are rape (hotline miami) and torture (GTA5).

My fighting game skills are on the same level as a toddler. But I have a morbid curiosity when it comes to video game violence. So I'm really looking forward to this.

Meh, stopped caring after Deadly Alliance. PSX port of MK Trilogy is still the best MK evar.

Frankly, I suck at Mortal Kombat, and fighting games in general. Hell, MK9 is really the only Mortal Kombat game I own - I love it, I enjoy it, but I still suck at it (but at least I feel like I have a chance, as opposed to other Mortal Kombat games). Having not even mastered MK9, I have no interest in MK10, because I don't want to be utterly humiliated.

My friend is very good at the game, so playing against him is a challenge; but I can beat him. Me and a few of my friends like to play against one another when we hang out. I think the gore is fine, and its just the right amount for Mortal Kombat. The fatalities have become more sadistic overtime, which is a change from its more humorous, over-the-top presentation in the early games. Maybe this is where some might find distaste. But I think it is viable creative decision on the part of the creators. I've been a fan of MK since 1992, so I'm definitely going to enjoy this.

I played every Mortal Kombat there is next to X and once owned all but 3 of them ; The second one for the ps2, 9, and X. The only changes i noticed where the recent steps back from the full 3D motion to the 2D classic viewpoint in 9 and X, or the odd redesign of the characters.

When it comes to the fatalities they always where extreme, people tend to forget the trouble they went trough with mk1 because the blood and gore was seen as extreme and brutal in the 90's. They are just doing it again but with modern graphics capabilities in 9 and X.

I really do not understand this hypocritical "not in our times" by those whom where kids and teens in the early 90's.

To me, the series goes like this - 1, 2, 3, 9. I'm really looking forward to X, 9 kept me entertained for ages and is just simply an incredible fighting game. I'm not going to preorder though, I hate that shit - When I can afford a hard copy in person, I'll get it right away.

FireFish said:

When it comes to the fatalities they always where extreme, people tend to forget the trouble they went trough with mk1 because the blood and gore was seen as extreme and brutal in the 90's

I'll never forget seeing Sub-Zero's spine rip for the first time. Games were generally seen as cute and cuddly experiences in 1992, and no one expected to see a character's head and spinal cord being ripped out of them.

With MK2, they went in a more tongue-in-cheek direction with the gore and finishing moves. And MK3 was basically a parody of the first two games. Remember the anamalities? They dialed it back a little with MK4, and I guess the tone of the series remained consistently MK2-ish until it was rebooted in 2011. YMMV and all that.

The only good thing about MK4 was the darker music, and only a few of the new characters.

@DoomUK ;
Sadly i was to young to experience the true impact of 1 and 2, but damn have i freaked over those games and their lore in my gaming life.

And i have seen multiple documentaries going back to VHS recordings... and they just do not make any sense anymore looking at which games people tend to celebrate as the best.

Its funny how weird it all has become, Mortal Kombat 3 always had been seen as one of the worst Mortal Kombat games ever made for its gameplay but liked for the character pile up, even the creators said it was a fluke in one of the old documentaries. 4 was a Playstation hit while it was the end of the arcade scene in many western countries. And now you see people claiming 3 is the bomb, this just seems to be a giant shift in interest concerning the players and the games.

DoomUK said:

I'll never forget seeing Sub-Zero's spine rip for the first time. Games were generally seen as cute and cuddly experiences in 1992, and no one expected to see a character's head and spinal cord being ripped out of them.

With MK2, they went in a more tongue-in-cheek direction with the gore and finishing moves. And MK3 was basically a parody of the first two games. Remember the anamalities? They dialed it back a little with MK4, and I guess the tone of the series remained consistently MK2-ish until it was rebooted in 2011. YMMV and all that.

I recall a conversation from my youth, describing the spine rip fatality to my uncle. In turn he had described Doom to me, which was the first time I had heard of it. He said something a long the lines of "you see what the player sees." Despite the fact that there already were FPS before doom, I was only 7 or 8 at the time, so I had no idea, and that's what had initially intrigued me about Doom.

There should be a Doom-equivalent to Godwin's Law. Id's Law?

I also remember, from back in grade school, the big argument of what was the better fight game; Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat. I was always on the side of Mortal Kombat, even though I liked Street Fighter a lot too.

One of the big talking points for supremacy was that, MK had "real people" in the game, instead of drawn sprites. At this time, everyone was impressed with CD-Roms, and live-action videos in games; but blood was something relatively new, and really captured the attitude-shift in the 90s. It was the Sega version's Blood code, that put MK on the map. It also made a lot of kids choose Genesis over SNES. Nintendo was seen by some as the pussier version of the two 16-bit consoles for things, such as this. But by the time MK II came out, SNES made sure to include blood, to meet the demands of what people wanted. Mortal Kombat helped to facilitate a paradigm shift in video games.

EDIT: I owned the SNES verision of MK, and was jealous of the kids that had it on Genesis.

Can't wait to play as Erron Black and Kotl Khan. MKX is shaping up to be the best MK yet.

Kontra Kommando said:

I also remember, from back in grade school, the big argument of what was the better fight game; Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat. I was always on the side of Mortal Kombat, even though I liked Street Fighter a lot too.

Heh, we had those arguments too. And I was also more of a Mortal Kombat kid than a Street Fighter kid, despite liking Street Fighter very much. I think MK's 'realism' was what won me over, which was juxtaposed with a fantasy martial arts horror B-movie vibe. I loved the hell out of it.

Ya, MK was always better for me too :3

Mortal Kombat 1-4 were great, and I didn't really get back into it until Mortal Kombat 9 (and before, MKxDC). Also, Shaolin Monks on PS2/XBOX was a fucking great MK/Coop game. Mortal Kombat X really looks stellar.

Deadly Alliance and its 2 children, while decent games, became dumbed down due to their inclusion on consoles rather than in arcades. Granted, technology was changing, but I just don't remember anything remarkable about them (aside from a few fighting stances).

Kontra Kommando said:

I owned the SNES verision of MK, and was jealous of the kids that had it on Genesis.

I think I'm the only person who actually preferred the SNES version all along, even back in elementary school. I remember seeing the Genesis version and being blown away by how shitty the graphics were by comparison. This was after I was already a Doom addict though (probably like '98-'99) so I wasn't really "wowed" by blood in games anymore.

EDIT: I didn't even know there was a second MK until years later, then I realized I'd missed out on a whole series of games. Playing an emulated version of MK II really impressed me, the controls felt a lot tighter and everything was just spot on. I'm glad to say I own 1, 2 and 3 in cart form nowadays :)

You are not the only one, the genesis versions just looks like a palette glitch on a broken system while it should have been able to do better when looking at the colors in other games. But it was a cool console even if it did not have many memorable titles.

FireFish said:

But it was a cool console even if it did not have many memorable titles.

The Genesis/Mega Drive doesn't have many memorable titles? Are you out of your mind?

boris said:

They didn't even bother putting it in the german Steam store :)

regarding this there is actually a pretty serious misinformation on a lot of keyshop sites. like MK9 you can actually buy MKX from other shops and activate and play it just fine in germany. so there is no region lock.