Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why does Quake 2 look like crap compared to half-life in spite of using newer tech?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Loved Opposing Force more then Bshift ,It had more bosses and less bore :I

I couldn't get into OF, for some reason. Granted I stopped playing when I got suck somewhere. But I was having more fun in that then base HL, too.

Clonehunter said:

I couldn't get into OF, for some reason. Granted I stopped playing when I got suck somewhere. But I was having more fun in that then base HL, too.

I May help you if you told me where (If you want), Going to tell you what to do .

^DMGUYDZ64: Don't be naive. If he wanted to, he would look it up on the internet a long time ago. But he probably decided that it wasn't worth it enough to continue playing the game.

scifista42 said:

^DMGUYDZ64: Don't be naive. If he wanted to, he would look it up on the internet a long time ago. But he probably decided that it wasn't worth it enough to continue playing the game.

Euh, we're here to help no ?

Sometimes I think I'm in the minority when I say that Half-Life bored me to tears most of the time. The absolute worst thing though is the intro. Don't make the player spend their first five fucking minutes confined to a box on rails! I don't give a shit what you might be trying to show off, we've been seeing and playing full 3D for years now!

And then there's the 'AI' lie (particularly egregious on the PS2 box). "UNPARALLELED AI!" screams a caption under a screenshot... a screenshot of a scripted event, you fucking bare-faced lying bastard!

The rest? As far as FPS goes I find it pretty sub-par in the action stakes, which is what really matters. Caught somewhere in that horrible limbo between trying to tell a story during gameplay (a commendable direction), but not quite having the tech to make it as immersive as intended. As such we're still actually stuck doing fuck all while NPC's drone on and on and on and on...

DMGUYDZ64 said:

After all this is a Sci-fi game,it's supposed to be boring "Deal with it" :P

Hear the fanboy. Care to provide some useful contributions instead?

Graf Zahl said:

Hear the fanboy. Care to provide some useful contributions instead?

You know,just like what Jaxoon_R said before : "If the shoe fits, wear it" there's no need for all these objections,we were talking about the engine not the game ,Right ?
EDIT : I've been a fan for Half-Life series for years,and i don't care about missing small details in game as long as they don't affect the Main things i love in it .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

EDIT : I've been a fan for Half-Life series for years

That's quite obvious to see from how you react to criticism about the game. Some objectivity lost, I presume.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

After all this is a Sci-fi game,it's supposed to be boring "Deal with it" :P

in that case, Doom is boring, too, because it is, by essence, a sci-fi horror piece of work. :p

Doomhuntress said:

in that case, Doom is boring, too, because it is, by essence, a sci-fi horror piece of work. :p

Good eye .

Doomhuntress said:

Doom isn't sci-fi, it's horror (maybe dark humor?) and supernatural. There's no aliens. It only has earthborn spiritual creatures (aka demons). Their reality, and being, is beyond human understanding and logic. It only seems sci-fi because these evil creatures somehow arrived on the moon base. You ever play Warcraft?

Holering said:

Doom isn't sci-fi, it's horror

i could say both,Space,Technologie .. you know.

Holering said:

Doom isn't sci-fi ... It only seems sci-fi because these evil creatures somehow arrived on the moon base.

Fucking HELLFIRE, do you even READ what you post?

Piper Maru said:

Doom is sci-fi horror...like Aliens meets Evil Dead for example.

Isn't that more like Duke 3D? Doom seems more "Evil Dead" meets "Apollo 13" IMO.

Holering said:

Doom seems more "Evil Dead" meets "Apollo 13" IMO.

Your posts make my fucking head hurt sometimes. How in the name of Christ did you come to this conclusion?

Piper Maru said:

I remember playing the Quake II expansion pack called The Reckoning. Wasn't there another mission pack as well, or am I misremembering?

In fact there are more than you think.
Yes, there was another mission pack, Ground Zero and there was another called Unseen, but unfortunatly it was never released, but you can see some gameplay of it here:

And there are 2 more expansions, although unofficial, Zaero and Juggernaut.

BaronOfStuff said:

And then there's the 'AI' lie (particularly egregious on the PS2 box). "UNPARALLELED AI!" screams a caption under a screenshot... a screenshot of a scripted event, you fucking bare-faced lying bastard!

I wouldn't say that's a lie. Is AI only limited to being dynamic and interacting with the player and its surroundings? In my first play through, I found their behavior to be a little unpredictable at times, like retreating when they're taking damage. Also they say things that make them sound like they're communicating with each other, which is far more interesting than repeating breathing noises and only walking in 8 different angles always toward the player with no pathfinding skills you'll see in id software's games.

I don't think a screenshot of a guy shooting at the player would really sell that point as well as a scripted event would.

Holering said:

Isn't that more like Duke 3D? Doom seems more "Evil Dead" meets "Apollo 13" IMO.

Dude, Apollo 13 came out in 1995, and Doom came out in 1993. Doom is Evil Dead meets Aliens, with influences from D&D ; its universally accepted truth. Doom was supposed to be an Aliens game originally. But they decided against making it an Aliens game, so they could have more freedom of creativity.

Kontra Kommando said:

Dude, Apollo 13 came out in 1995, and Doom came out in 1993. Doom is Evil Dead meets Aliens, with influences from D&D ; its universally accepted truth. Doom was supposed to be an Aliens game originally. But they decided against making it an Aliens game, so they could have more freedom of creativity.

DooM = H.R. Giger + Satan + ID soft. + Wolf3D.

Half Life wasn't perfect but it earned its spot in time and it pushed first person shooters further into its current direction. ID software was not the only software crew doing great things, Valve truly did push Graphics and technology to, although i tend to refuse to call software a technology.

half life did not just 'receive' its position in gaming history because it just exists. The pressure on valve must be enormous with that title so its normal they would rather not release 3 yet, or at all, to not fall under the extreme reputation they need to fill.

FireFish said:

i tend to refuse to call software a technology.

I'm sorry, but what? Technology is the practical application of science. How then, is software not a practical application of science?

Sodaholic said:

I'm sorry, but what? Technology is the practical application of science. How then, is software not a practical application of science?

I guess i need to explain my view ;
Most people just write 3D applications or software utilizing existing ready-made systems. If one applies a bit of math which tells an existing graphics card technology to render a cube, it would not be a cube rendering technology made by the programmer... it are a few instructions to use existing hardware technology its abilities. Its my personal response to a hype i hate where ''technology'' became a buzz word where people claim they invented ''new technology'' while the eventual programs or objects resulting from it already exist for more than 10 years...

"Technology" is what Sodaholic said, and FireFish got the term confused and mixed with a "technological device". An algorithm or process can be an example of technology.

scifista42 said:

"Technology" is what Sodaholic said, and FireFish got the term confused and mixed with a "technological device". An algorithm or process can be an example of technology.

I think you missed the point in the explanation about why i tend to ignore the word for certain software based systems. Do not get me wrong, gaming companies make technology.