Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why does Quake 2 look like crap compared to half-life in spite of using newer tech?

Right, sorry, I didn't even think about the content of your post much. I had missed the point (which was related to not-so-appropriate usage of the word), but I see it now, thanks.

It's funny because Quake 2 is a game I can keep playing while with Half Life 1 I got way too tired of that game after playing through it four times, I just can't play HL1 for more than a few minutes before getting completely bored of it now.

Any Half Life total conversions for Quake 2 or Quake 3?

Any Quake 2 or Quake 3 open source engines compatible with Half-Life content?

Think it'd be really cool to try Half-Life with Quake 2 or Quake 3 engine. Think Half-Life would have a meatier presentation (and gameplay?). Maybe with some HD textures too. Maybe Gordon would have better self-esteem about himself (maybe not?).

Q1 and Q2 have some of the worst guns I've used in a FPS. And the movement is shit. Is there a way to disable that annoying quick/sudden strafing?

Holering said:

Any Half Life total conversions for Quake 2 or Quake 3?

Any Quake 2 or Quake 3 open source engines compatible with Half-Life content?

Think it'd be really cool to try Half-Life with Quake 2 or Quake 3 engine. Think Half-Life would have a meatier presentation (and gameplay?). Maybe with some HD textures too. Maybe Gordon would have better self-esteem about himself (maybe not?).

looking for this one ?

Thnk that shows why Valve decided to upgrade the engine,and not to use it directly .

Graf Zahl said:

Agreed. Quake II's levels definitely had a somewhat non-human feel to them, aside from the technologically necessary simplifications they conveyed the 'alien planet' location rather well - emphasis on 'alien'.

Funny thing is, when having to name a 90's game that had realistic looking levels I'd still choose Redneck Rampage, not Half-Life. RR's levels were huge and despite only being a 2.5D engine managed a lot better than the early full 3D stuff.

Half-Life was a major room-after-room-after-room bore for long stretches, it surely had its good parts but there was too much filler in there.

They were breaking new ground indeed, but look where it got us: By finalizing the transition to 'realism' nearly all fun had been squeezed out of first person shooters. For me Half-Life will always be remembered as the beginning of the end of fun gaming.

What are you even talking about? Are you saying we should blame Valve and Half Life for what other companies do to linearize their games? God forbid Half-Life was different then the almighty Doom 2 or Quake where you stumble around in random rooms that use the same artstyle!

Also, about your point of being in an alien environment - Half-life has that too, it's called Xen and I think it was one of the better alien environments designed in a time where most alien environments were generic.

Yeah, Years ago when i played that chapter for first time i thought there will be no more puzzle solving and i'll just have to go forward and kill anything on my way,but looks like i was wrong (One of my fav chapters is ( XEN ) Chapter 15

MeetyourUnmaker said:

Also, to that person who thought Quake 2's soundtrack is better than Half-Life's.

I Heard Quake 2's songs, They both look very simillar to be honest .

MeetyourUnmaker said:

Also, about your point of being in an alien environment - Half-life has that too, it's called Xen and I think it was one of the better alien environments designed in a time where most alien environments were generic.

The only thing I remember about Xen is that it was one of the most annoying things that ever got presented to me as 'gameplay'.

At some point 'alien' becomes 'alienating'.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

looking for this one ?

Thnk that shows why Valve decided to upgrade the engine,and not to use it directly .

Can definitely see the polygon shaking in that video.

Looked on Google for "Half Life" total conversion for "Quake 1" and "Quake 3" but nothing...

Breezeep said:

This thread is making me wonder why you people didn't experience some of the latest Quake 1 maps yet.

That Metal Monstrosity map is quite good, although it seems to break Quake 1's original dark atmosphere, but in fact all of those maps do anyway.

hardcore_gamer said:

DMGUYDZ64, are you using some graphics mod? I don't remember the weapon models looking that good.

Umm Yeah,i don't remember exactly where i found the Mod (Maybe at Moddb ?) It's called Ultimate Half-Life .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Umm Yeah,i don't remember exactly where i found the Mod (Maybe at Moddb ?) It's called Ultimate Half-Life .

Ugh, so it's for the dreaded source version then? Pass.

VGA said:

Q1 and Q2 have some of the worst guns I've used in a FPS. And the movement is shit.

I disagree.

Is there a way to disable that annoying quick/sudden strafing?

Can you elaborate?

MeetyourUnmaker said:

Also, to that person who thought Quake 2's soundtrack is better than Half-Life's. I haven't listened to it myself, so I might be biased, but is there anything on it better than this?

You can hardly compare these soundtracks. They're completely different.

I still prefer Quake 2 and its missionpack music plus Quake 1's missionpack music over Half Life's music, but the main Quake 1 music not so much since it's just weak ambiance.

i don't get why people rat out on Quake's soundtrack but praise the PSX and 64 versions of Doom. what's so different about Quake's music that makes it so bad?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You know,just like what Jaxoon_R said before : "If the shoe fits, wear it" there's no need for all these objections,we were talking about the engine not the game ,Right ?
EDIT : I've been a fan for Half-Life series for years,and i don't care about missing small details in game as long as they don't affect the Main things i love in it .

You shut your whore mouth, boy! You some kind of San Francisco faggot? Gordon fucking Freeman doesn't come in here talking about all those cryptic skeletal structures and smack talk the long dick Quake 2 grunt and think he can get away with it! Not here, not in these fucking forums! Quake 2's so fucking brutal it just fucked Gordon's face without consent!

Doomhuntress said:

i don't get why people rat out on Quake's soundtrack but praise the PSX and 64 versions of Doom. what's so different about Quake's music that makes it so bad?

Different people, I'm guessing. If it's the same ones, no clue. Aubrey Hodge's Quake64 soundtrack is pretty weak in comparison.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Different people, I'm guessing. If it's the same ones, no clue. Aubrey Hodge's Quake64 soundtrack is pretty weak in comparison.

i thought it was pretty cool, but NIN's Quake soundtrack is just a lot more "dirty" and ominous in its sound-scape in comparison. Aubrey's is a bit too droning, which works for Doom 64's atmosphere but not so much here.