Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Trooper

Player drops into floor (bad sector?)

I have a level I am working on with over a thousand sectors. One of the sectors the player drops down into the floor by about 16 pixels. He can walk around most of the individual sector ok but part of it he always drops into the floor on one side of the sector.

I ran map analysis on DoomBuilder and Check Map on WadAuthor. Both concluded that there are no errors in the map.

I even manually checked all the surrounding sectors to make sure none of the line-defs were flip flopped or mis-numbered or anything. Yet it still happens!

This seems to have started when I removed several sectors on another area of the map somewhere else completely unrelated. Does anyone know what happened?

The glitch seems to manifest itself in both ZDaemon and Zandronum.

Please help.

A map I tested recently had a similar issue.

It's a nodes problem. Try changing the nodebuilder's settings or use another nodebuilder. To avoid this problem in the future don't set your grid too low.

If the player doesn't drop in non-Zdoom-based engines it's the same error.
I'm curious if any of the adjacent sectors have a floor 16 units lower than the floor of the problem sector.

That has happened to me too in some PWAD I was reviewing -a sector behaved like a "deep water" one, with the player sinking in it. Rebuilding the nodes fixed the problem.

Never_Again said:

The link in my first post links by proxy to one of your old favorites. Did you not encounter the same bug there, too?

I don't think any of those old favorites even uses self-referencing sectors (except for UAC_DEAD, of course). Am I missing anything?

LogicDeLuxe said:

I recorded a demo of forgex.wad [...].
Also seen is an imp trapped in the floor due to a blockmap bug from the really old bps builder. You can fall in there as well when walking slow on that spot.

Heh, never noticed it. I might revisit it sometime.

Problem Resolved! It was indeed the node builder. Now I'm using ZDBSP. Thanks guys. Now my maps are building at a retarded fast speed. LOL.