Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Neill Blomkamp's Alien Movie

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/03/30/7-ways-neill-blomkamp-s-alien-5-could-go-wrong-2810494?lt_source=external,manual

I had read this article, where the author examines 7 different ways that the upcoming Alien movie could go wrong. It makes some interesting points, but I certainly hope that the movie does in fact turn out well.

I have never seen anything from this director, therefore, right now I can't make any meaningful predictions.

But as an Aliens fan, I'm a little concerned with Ripley being in the movie again. Unless of course they pull a Jason X, and just pretend that part 3, and Resurrection did not exist. Otherwise, I don't know how they will exactly make it work. I know Ripley's clone makes it back to earth, but picking up the story after Aliens resurrection would be a terrible idea, considering the fact that its a definitively bad movie.

Personally, I wish that they would just make a film that is within the Aliens universe, but not connected to the original characters at all. We've already seen their stories play out; I wish they would just leave it at that, to keep it un-tainted.

Kontra Kommando said:

Personally, I wish that they would just make a film that is within the Aliens universe, but not connected to the original characters at all.

They did. It was a very hit-and-miss thing.

Yes, they intend to ignore 3 and 4. I don't hate 3 like many people do, but I still think that's a good thing. It will be a shit movie regardless.

District 9 was cool, but not that cool and Blomkamp has been flopping ever since. He has good ideas, but he's terrible at bringing them to a satisfying conclusion. Even D9's ending was pretty lacklustre and the following movies are just painful. Even worse, he's preachy and he's unable to sell it naturally like Lord God Verhoeven.

Worst of all, they're bringing back Weaver and Biehn. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them dearly, but I see another Indy4 in the making. Biehn tweeted about Hicks getting to the 2nd base with Ripley... well, should've done that 25 years earlier, buddy. Did these guys watch the Crystal Skull and think Indy and Marion getting some pensioner action was the raddest shit ever? It's cringy!

And even more worstest of all, Scott seems to be involved. Again, Scott made some of my most favourite movies, but those date before 2000. He's been very inconsistent ever since and I think he's just losing his touch gradually. He can still make good movies, but he also makes really bad ones (Prometheus falls here). I hate the idea of him influencing the direction. I think much less of Cameron, but I'd much rather see him giving Blomkamp pointers.

I'm worried. I'm always worried when I see Fox's name on something. I remember an interview with the guy that wrote Wolverine he said Fox didn't care, he said Fox sells movies based on name alone.

I think the big thing here is what they'll add that's new. What new ground they'll break. You have the alien, then the queen, then the dog, then the mother alien. With this guy directing it I fear that we'll have half human aliens as commonplace that no one bats an eyelash at.

As for the too gory.... Aliens was more a movie to make you squeamish. Face raped, implied anal tail hooking, cutting a squid monster out of your uterus and you need to slide underneath of it sort of squeamish.

I'd be more optimistic if Signourney wasn't signed on to this... she's a fantastic actor, but some of her ideas for where the series was eventually to go were pretty inane.

Anyone ever read any of the comics / books that were an offshoot of the series pre Alien 3? Not saying they should use any of their plots, but they did have some occasionally interesting ideas in there.

I think Alien 3 was also a pretty good movie. Resurrection, and the AVP movies are the ones I really don't like.

The AVP series should be rebooted, and made much darker. Moreover, it should take place in the future, and involve colonial marines. That scenario could have a lot of room for originality. No teenagers, in the suburbs, like its a slasher movie. It should be truly sci-fi, in outer space.

Yeah, because space marines fighting monsters in space totally hasn't become a sci-fi cliché.

DoomUK said:

Yeah, because space marines fighting monsters in space totally hasn't become a sci-fi cliché.

At least it has the potential to be an enjoyable scifi cliche.

DoomUK said:

cliché or not, I think it would make for a better movie than the crap that was Resurrection, and the AVP movies. Besides, if its good, who cares if its been done before. People have been creating rehashes of ancient stories throughout human history. How many time have we seen stories similar David and Goliath; the underdog beating a superior foe, being played out in various forms and settings? Or a character like Siegfried, from old norse mythology, who must face seemingly insurmountable odds, to save the woman he desires?

EDIT: Let's hope its regarded as trope, and not a cliché.

DoomUK said:

They did. It was a very hit-and-miss thing.

I actually did like Prometheus as well. Michael Fassbender was fantastic in his role as David. However, I wonder if it would have been a better movie, had they chosen to keep certain aspects of it, that they had decided to change. For Example, they were supposed to have a new xenomorph type, known as the Ultramorph, as the main antagonist.

dew said:

Yes, they intend to ignore 3 and 4. I don't hate 3 like many people do, but I still think that's a good thing. It will be a shit movie regardless.

District 9 was cool, but not that cool and Blomkamp has been flopping ever since. He has good ideas, but he's terrible at bringing them to a satisfying conclusion. Even D9's ending was pretty lacklustre and the following movies are just painful. Even worse, he's preachy and he's unable to sell it naturally like Lord God Verhoeven.

Worst of all, they're bringing back Weaver and Biehn. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them dearly, but I see another Indy4 in the making. Biehn tweeted about Hicks getting to the 2nd base with Ripley... well, should've done that 25 years earlier, buddy. Did these guys watch the Crystal Skull and think Indy and Marion getting some pensioner action was the raddest shit ever? It's cringy!

And even more worstest of all, Scott seems to be involved. Again, Scott made some of my most favourite movies, but those date before 2000. He's been very inconsistent ever since and I think he's just losing his touch gradually. He can still make good movies, but he also makes really bad ones (Prometheus falls here). I hate the idea of him influencing the direction. I think much less of Cameron, but I'd much rather see him giving Blomkamp pointers.

I think it would have been cool if they had kept the Alien 3 story as to how they were planning on doing it until the last second. It was actually supposed to be a little more like Aliens, where Hicks was supposed to take the lead role. However, the movie studios changed the story to what we were presented with. Biehm was incredibly pissed about this, naturally, and forced them to pay him millions in return for just showing his image briefly in the film.

Here is another interesting and somewhat humorous fact about Alien 3:

wiki said:
The Academy Awards overlooked Giger's contribution to Alien 3. However, Ridley Scott included Giger's name along with nominees Carlo Rambaldi and Richard Johnson in the 1980 Academy Awards. Fox, at the time Alien 3 was released, pointed out that studios are precluded from submitting nominees in the effects category directly to the Academy. This upset Giger so much that at one point he sent Academy president Karl Malden a fax with this closing comment: "I am under the strong impression that my contribution to the visual effects of the nominated movie has been intentionally suppressed", signing the letter with a large black pentagram.

Giger however would comment that he thought the resulting film was "okay" and that the Alien was "better than in the second film."

http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Runner

I don't understand the hate for the third, it seems to have a sort of cult following now I think, if you go by the Assembly Cut it is a lot better than the theatrical, but then it's still not perfect due to all the problems they had in making it and the end result is just Alien 3 being 40 minutes longer with more character development, but still, it has a unique atmosphere and theme (not to mention a terrific score) and I think its a massive copout that it got disowned via that DLC for the dreadful ACM game because some butthurt idiot can't live with the fact that Hicks is DEAD (they made it officially canon).

The only Alien film I hate is Resurrection. It should of all came to an end with 3, it was never a happy movie with a happy universe, Aliens' sappy ending where everybody lives happily ever after was very forced.

I never got the Assembly cut, really. I like some of the extra character stuff, but I don't understand the whole Cow vs Dog chestburster thing. A dog is more horrific imo. A cow getting turned inside out is something I expect out of South Park.

I liked the first AvP, but the second was awful

Clonehunter said:

I never got the Assembly cut, really. I like some of the extra character stuff, but I don't understand the whole Cow vs Dog chestburster thing. A dog is more horrific imo. A cow getting turned inside out is something I expect out of South Park.

The trailer is the movie all in order. I think Fox loves to derail itself.

I wonder how they'll pull off ignoring the 3rd and 4th if they'll travel back in time to stop Ripley from turning into an alien and laying her eggs all over Earth or if it'll be like yeah it never happened here are the actors 30 years later.

Clonehunter said:

The first one was not as bad as the second one. I guess it was just missing an exceptional actor, to carry the movie further. Also, I dislike the way it was shot.

Ripley should be passing the torch to Newt. I wonder if that character will be in the movie. I thought they'd do it with Wynona Ryder, but time makes fools of us all. An android fighting aliens? Crazy talk.

I think people "hated" Alien 3 because it followed Aliens. Its tough to go from a big budget action movie to a horror movie. Even if Alien 1 followed up Aliens it would have been hated.

Its not bad to us the Doomers in the same way that the Internet hates COD yet off the Internet there's COD selling millions of copies and uber popular. As unaccepting as the Internet is, if it goes against mainstream conventionalism it'll be the new Shovel Knight and still sell 1/500th of the copies that the latest COD did.

geo said:

Yeah, online many people just seem to fall into some weird brainless mode acting as if they hate everything, in group, which they themselves buy, use, and like, in their daily life.

I do not hate change, and if a new incarnation of an old classic really fails to get the point i just ignore it and watch it as if its a standalone movie... Its the same thing i did with the last two star-trek action-sex-flare-abominations.

Alien started as a great atmospheric horror movie in space which logically flowed and progressed into one great action movie when they went out to destroy the xenomorphs, which still looks great and atmospheric. So any director and writer understanding the recipe and why people really like the first 2 should do fine... if not, it might become another AVP, robocop, startrek modernization with no reason to exist.

I almost think this movie is destine to fail like the new Jurassic Park, Star Wars or Doom.

20 or 30 years of memories tied to something that nothing can replace. That's why I'm a big fan of calling something Dinoland: Worst Vacation Ever, Space Marine on Mars or Guardians of the Galaxy.

Slimy Lizards From Space. Meh. How about... Immigrant 5: Back For More. You're gonna need a bigger fence.

Lots of people seem to like Neill Blomkamp's work. Personally I'm not a fan. Something about his films and his particular style just completely fails to connect with me - it feels kind of like I'm watching a video game that someone else is playing, and I just end up completely bored. I had the same experience watching District 9 and Elysium, though I haven't seen CHAPPiE.

geo said:

I think people "hated" Alien 3 because it followed Aliens. Its tough to go from a big budget action movie to a horror movie.

Aliens is a 2 1/2 hour film with maybe 15 minutes of 'action' and much much more suspense. I don't believe it's the stylistic differences that cause alien 3 hate even if you could put aside how badly alien 3 was made and edited.

Aliens has a happily-ever-after ending and perhaps because of that, it doesn't really leave itself open for continuation. Alien 3 destroys that in every possible way.

raymoohawk said:

elysium was fairly good

That giant plothole of a movie was good eh? I guess you never asked yourself then how future humans would be able to substain the high standard of living on the station with the space station being flooded with people, even though the whole reason life there was good in the first place was because only few people were living there while the rest was somewhere else.

The movie was probably trying to have some kind of a pro-immigration or anti-classist theme going on in order to take advantage of the immigration and wealth inequality debate, but the hillarious thing is that the plot of the movie fails for the same reason that liberal immigration and economic policy does: It assumes wealth can be created out of nothing.

New Aliens movie, ergo I am worried by default.

The only possible saving grace is the plan to sidestep 3 and Resurrection - Alien³ missed the point of Aliens by killing off not only the main character, but every possible replacement. Resurrection ... guh.

I've only seen District 9 and Elysium, and I thoroughly enjoyed both, but given what the Alien franchise has gone through post-Aliens, I've come to the conclusion that the franchise has become something of a poison chalice.

In a nutshell, it'll be crap. Perhaps not as crap as the AvP movies, but crap nonetheless.

Kontra Kommando said:

Is it possible that they may reboot the series like they did to Batman? At least that way Ripley's character can have a fresh start.

No, it a direct sequel to Alien 1 & 2.