Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Mapping Dream Teams

Many mappers have shown a distinguishable style, and sometimes when paired with other mappers, can create some truly amazing maps. Kristian Aro and Paul Corfiatis blessed us with Whispers of Satan, Joshy and Darkwave000 gave us Speed of Doom, and we wouldn't have seen something like No End In Sight without NaturalTvventy, Xaser, and Lutz working together. And of course many of us are excited to see Sunlust by Ribbiks and Dannebubinga when its done.

If you had the authority to hand pick mappers, both active and inactive, to work together on a single project, what mappers would you like to see collaborating together?

I'd love to see Erik Alm and one or both of the Casali brothers mapping together on some kinda Scythe/Plutonia hybrid.

For me, if we ever did see a Memento Mori 3, I'd love for Memfis, Valkiriforce and JoeIlya to be the top contributing members, perhaps with a guest map here and there by franckfrag, deathevokation, and if we were lucky enough, a couple of the original Memento Mori mappers like Mackey McCandlish, Dario Casali, or Tom Mustaine.

Obsidian and General Rainbow Bacon are already a great team. I don't know if Z86 has made anything before or after Hellbound, but it would be fascinating to see the 3 of them work on an ambitious megawad project together.

Rottking, Snakes, and Pavera all have struck me with interesting similar styles that I think would make a good project together.

I haven't played anything by tourniquet yet, but going from screenshots, I feel like mouldy and tourniquet could make some amazing artsy hell themed maps together.

Darkreaver and Rayzik are a few of my favorites that might make a great pair too.

Shadow mans older maps have a really cool cyberpunk atmosphere to them that I think would look awesome with the help of Iika keranens art assets and mapping.

So lets have a little bit of a circle jerk and talk about mappers you'd love to see working together! Who are some of your favorite mappers and who do you think would make the best doom maps together?

darkreaver and deathevokation should finish Revelations of Doom before committing to any dream team projects imo

I would love to see RottKing team up with Ralphis and make a new double impact imo that would be great imo

kmxexii said:

darkreaver and deathevokation should finish Revelations of Doom before committing to any dream team projects imo

Yes.

Anyway, easiest answer I can give- Anders Johnsen and Erik Alm. Another would be tatsurd-caco and evocalvin.

Ralphis said:

I would love to see RottKing team up with Ralphis and make a new double impact imo that would be great imo

Andy Johnson and Malcolm Sailor! Mmmmm Mmmmm that would be a match made in heaven for me.

Joe Ilya with American McGee doing the testing, detailing and quality control.

40oz said:

Obsidian and General Rainbow Bacon are already a great team. I don't know if Z86 has made anything before or after Hellbound, but it would be fascinating to see the 3 of them work on an ambitious megawad project together.

That actually sounds genius, I'm utter tripe at making long maps and this would balance that out considerably.

I think Jimmy and Tango would make something that felt cohesive together.

I think Memfis would be good paired with someone who would encourage him to continue mapping for one project but I'm not sure who. Maybe Joe Ilya since they seem to have a mutual appreciation of each other.

Marcaek and 40oz also. Their styles contrast but Marc mentioned in passing on IRC that 40 should collaborate with a different person for each UU2 episode, which I thought it was a cool idea and I think this pairing would make for a unique (probably final, Marcaek likes hard maps) episode.

Mouldy and Alfonso would come up with some pretty crazy concepts between them.

Don't put me in any teams, I hate teamwork and just want to delete everything that my partner does. Been there done that.

40oz said:

I feel like mouldy and tourniquet could make some amazing artsy hell themed maps together.

I guess we're both loners in one way or another plus i'm on of those who would rather approve a mouldy/dobu combo.

RottKing and iceman57
KingReol and mouldy
DarkJedi and Little Temple
Doom Marine and Ebola

I'll show myself out.

Nicholas Monti could use collaborating with someone else, his level designs are elaborate and wonderful, but gameplay is often repetitive, confusing or out of balance. Dunno who in particular, it shouldn't be someone who would rework or take over his style and vision completely, though. I'd team up with him myself. :)

yakfak said:

Xaser on vox
Nil on sax
Jim Flynn on rhythm guitar
Lainos on drums

I'm not sure I can imagine this entire team, and I don't actually know who Nil is, but a two-man megawad by Xaser and Lainos (or Xaser and Azamael, perhaps) would really be something to try to wrap one's head around.

I also like purist's idea of a Jimmy/Tango pairing.

Not Jabba said:

I don't actually know who Nil is

I urge you to check out j4rio's run of Whitemare MAP08 :D

AD_79 said:

i'd like to see tarnsman team up with joe-ilya

This probably will happen in some form one day - joe shows a lot of improvement, and tarnsman is a pretty prolific contributor to the Doom community.

Shamus Young (TORMENT), icecreamsoldier (COMMANDO) and eschdoom (D2RELOAD) for a megawad of clean bases with touches of realism and fun gameplay.

Cameron Newham (BARREL2), Jim FLynn (ORACLE), Bob Evans (ODESSA*), Jon Landis (!PIPE!) and Zan Zan Zawa-veia (SMINKY2) for an episode of maps that would require a PhD in quantum physics to solve and defy any attempts to figure out with cheats and map editors. An episode would be enough, I think, any more than that might put unreasonable strain on mental health institutions.

Drake O'Brien (TNT maps 20, 21 and 27), arma kero (ARMADOSIA) and Z86 (HELLBND) for one humungous atmospheric map with minimum completion time of 24 hours.

Kurt Kessler (KMETL*), Kaiser (KAISER*) and Chris Hansen (CHRETRO) for the ultimate in class.

An MM3 could not use that name without the participation of Möller brothers, Jens Nielsen, Orin Flaharty and Matthias Worch, IMO.

Skillsaw & Ed - for sexy masterfulness, plus I think ed's imaginative creations would pair excellently with skillsaw's perfect approach to layout and thing placement

Kristus & Iori - I'd love to see these two combine their architectural senseibilities and am willing to bet that it'd be a fun, difficult blast to play to boot

Memfis said:

Don't put me in any teams, I hate teamwork and just want to delete everything that my partner does. Been there done that.

That sucks, are you sure?

Pinchy with SuperCupcakeTactics. Their styles are similar to each other, both full of interesting varied shapes and unconventional (often hectic) gameplay scenarios. Pinchy can create a coherent theme and atmosphere, but his maps tend to have linear progression. SuperCupcakeTactics makes crazily colorful, disorganized nonlinear maps. If these mappers teamed up, the results might be great.

joe-ilya said:

That sucks, are you sure?

Yeah sorry, when you suggested that we do a collaboration I tried to be polite so I didn't outright refuse, but to be honest I absolutely don't want to do any teamwork. I tried it a bit a few times and I always thought that my vision was superior to my partner's, so I just wanted him out of the project so that I could do everything the right way lol.

Also it just sucks to have a "commitment" as opposed to being a free bird.