Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Postal 2: Paradise Lost

So Running With Scissors is coming out with a new expansion pack for Postal 2, titled Paradise Lost where the Dude returns 11 years later to the nuked town to take care of some unfinished business. It's said to be open world and day/mission based like the original P2, not linear and 100% scripted like Apocalypse Weekend was.

It was originally slated for Fall 2014, but has been pushed back to the final release date of the 17th this month. According to one of the devs, it shouldn't be any higher than the base game's price.

So, fine citizens of Doomworld, do you have any interest in this upcoming game?

Sodaholic said:

So Running With Scissors is coming out with a new expansion pack for Postal 2

Jesus christ....May as well cross my fingers for a new dawn of war exp pack.

Why do this? Postal 2 has not aged very well and imo it wasn't a fun game to begin with.

Does postal 2 even install properly let alone run on win 7 or 8?

Postal 2 was always fun for me, even though the game's lighting seemed to be absolutely broken. The washed out look was horrible. I'm sort of looking forward to this.

Much as I welcome more Postal 2 I'm more interested in seeing how the HD Redux for Postal 1 will turn out, if it's even half as violent as Hatred if RWS will get the SJW treatment, since nobody nor their mothers seem to care about Postal 2.

Quast said:

Why do this?

Because there's an unquestionable demand. The re-release of POSTAL 2 on Steam (and other services such as GOG) has done exceptionally well in sales. I don't have exact figures, but it's estimated at somewhere over half a million digital copies sold. Even today, it receives overwhelmingly positive reviews. This isn't bad for a decade old game. Considering that Running With Scissors has long supported its fan base, we decided that giving P2 one last hurrah was a no-brainer.

Does postal 2 even install properly let alone run on win 7 or 8?

POSTAL 2 has always worked on modern operating systems, and it was ported to Mac and Linux long ago as well. The recent re-release has received even more updates, adding Steam integration along with additional DRM-free support and a great deal of new playable content.

Quest said:

Why do this? Doom has not aged very well and imo it wasn't a fun game to begin with.

Does doom even install properly let alone run on win 7 or 8?

Pippy Marrow said:

I didn't even know Doom still existed.

Meanwhile on FALLOUTWORLD.

This is true. Doom existed at one time but no more. In 2005 all copies of Doom were rounded up, hard drives wiped, publications confiscated from libraries, and the entire development team was executed and their bodies cremated in a mass grave.

I enjoyed the original Postal 2, so this is cool, but it's a bit disappointing that they didn't just make a new game, because these graphics didn't look good in 2004 and they certainly don't look good now. Graphics do not a game make, but they play a fundamental role regardless.

Geez even if they took all the games existing assets and stuck them into a newer unreal build it would make the game a lot more tolerable. Just because you hilariously signpost your loading zones doesn't make them not annoying.

GoatLord said:

I enjoyed the original Postal 2, so this is cool, but it's a bit disappointing that they didn't just make a new game, because these graphics didn't look good in 2004 and they certainly don't look good now. Graphics do not a game make, but they play a fundamental role regardless.

Except the game was relased in 2003 and it did look good. As for the Paradise Lost it's a bullshit money grab I loved Postal 2 but relasing expansion pack in 2015 on the same engine? It's even worse than this piece of shit Doom BFG Edition.

Only Cybersexdemon could speak words so bold.

Also, I'm glad to hear this is returning to the open world format. Any word on Gary Coleman like celebs to do some bit role?

Cybersexdemon said:

As for the Paradise Lost it's a bullshit money grab I loved Postal 2 but relasing expansion pack in 2015 on the same engine? It's even worse than this piece of shit Doom BFG Edition.

It's worth noting that the trailer was made several months before the original projected release date of Fall 2014, and that the release date has been delayed by several months past that. The game's been overhauled since that trailer. There will be all new mission objectives.

Yes, it's based on the old Paradise town maps, but it has unique gameplay and visuals, much more than a simple reskin.

Captain Red said:

Just because you hilariously signpost your loading zones doesn't make them not annoying.

It's really more to serve the functional purpose of informing the player that if they walk any further that they'll be stuck at a loading screen so they should be sure of whether they want to leave the map and put up with the loading screen. If those signs weren't there, new players would have no idea when they'd be about to be thrown into a new loading screen and would feel less inclined to explore.

Cybersexdemon said:

As for the Paradise Lost it's a bullshit money grab I loved Postal 2 but relasing expansion pack in 2015 on the same engine? It's even worse than this piece of shit Doom BFG Edition.

We don't think it's a bullshit money grab. Most everyone here on the team has a long and established history with the POSTAL series and its modding scene. We're developing Paradise Lost as a love letter to the game that impassioned us for these many years and to the fans who continue to support the series through thick and thin, ourselves among them. I don't think many IP owners out there would offer this sort of opportunity to a group of fans, so we are truly honored to have this chance to build something for a game we love.

We chose to begin with an expansion for the POSTAL 2 because, as noted above, there's still a considerable demand for the original game over a decade later. Running With Scissors loves to support its games and community, and after seeing the overwhelming positive fan response to the big Steam updates and the many holiday events (all free, if you're concerned about money), giving POSTAL 2 one final moment of glory is well warranted.

Clonehunter said:

Any word on Gary Coleman like celebs to do some bit role?

Another former child star may show up in PL.

Bucket said:

This is true. Doom existed at one time but no more. In 2005 all copies of Doom were rounded up, hard drives wiped, publications confiscated from libraries, and the entire development team was executed and their bodies cremated in a mass grave.

Fuck you talking about?

What could it possibly mean?

Hint: Check Postal 2's store page and see if anything is unusually... low. As for the other thing, I leave it to your imagination until the seventeenth.

I do not remember if postal 2 used the unreal engine 2.5 (probably not or it would have looked more like Bioshock), but it looked alright and it was a lot of fun to play inside the humor, dark humor, explicit humor.

fight middle east terrorists inside a western church (lol), the sexual references, the parody on itself and game developers wanting money, etc.

And just doing weird stuff for the fun of it, warning ;

Spoiler

piss yourself out when on fire (piss up), piss on characters their faces to make them puke, to then decapitate them and see the puke spray out of their neck while they fall down.

there is no harm, weirdness, or blame in releasing an expansion for an old game with a reputation which keeps attracting attention to it. It is practically the only one of its kind in the west. Who knows, within ten years it might be an online cult secret ; "hey dude, have you heard about this special game ? Well, let me show you something !" (and actually, its already how postal 2 spreads its name.)

Captain Red said:

Only one of it's kind in the west? Are there Eastern European shooting spree games I haven't heard of?

Thats the wrong interpretation of what i wrote. :)

*cough* a hint *cough*
In japan they have adult games involving rape since the 80's. And its legal there because not one healthy man or woman would confuse it with reality and go postal. fiction with brutal content which is accepted as normal entertainment for 18+ audiences. (ignoring that new game whats-it-name.)
*cough* end hint *cough*

Well i hope that explains what the actual interpretation should be, without explaining it to its core.

FireFish said:

I do not remember if postal 2 used the unreal engine 2.5 (probably not or it would have looked more like Bioshock)

Postal 2 uses early Unreal 2, and it even has bits of UT99's netcode IIRC. Bioshock might have been derived from 2.5, but the renderer was heavily rewritten.

FireFish said:

Thats the wrong interpretation of what i wrote. :) [...] Well i hope that explains what the actual interpretation should be, without explaining it to its core.

What on earth are you talking about?

interesting, but how the hell do you know about the netcode ?

edit ;
yes, the newly programmed water rendering and some other effects where a focus point in an old bioshock feature of which i have long forgotten its name or goal from before the initial release.

Just to make sure you understand and to let you know i know about that.

FireFish said:

I do not remember if postal 2 used the unreal engine 2.5 (probably not or it would have looked more like Bioshock)

Unreal Engine 1.5 apparently, I thought it was using 2 but Wikipedia says otherwise. There is excerpts/leftovers of code pertaining to UT2003 in there though.

For a game from 2003 / 2004 it had decent graphics, you simply cant compare it to revolutionary games like doom 3, farcry or half life 2, they where the first of a kind.

Its kind of interesting to see people invest time in such and middle aged game and attempting to release an expansion for it.

Just a few more hours until launch! EDIT: Nevermind, assumed midnight EST like a fool. 10AM PST is the actual scheduled release time.

Just as a reminder, the Steam version of the base game is still only a dollar as of now. Even if you don't get PL, I suggest picking it up for having access to the 2013 overhaul content, unless you hate it and thought the original 2003 version was better (personally I find it quite empty compared to the new one, especially with the lack of vocal variety on characters).

And if you have an XInput compatible controller (or at least a DirectInput one with an XInput wrapper), please give it a whirl, at least for the novelty factor. I want to know if the general public thinks it's playable and comfortable.