Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeffo2448

Suggestions on what to play

I've been on a Doom binge lately. On UV, I beat Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom (both TNT and Plutonia). I'm wondering if there are any good recommendations on what to play next. I'm not too familiar with downloading custom maps etc. but looking forward to playing some more Doom. Thanks all

A few suggestions:

Scythe - if you like short maps
Doom the way id did/Doom 2 the way id did - if you like Doom 2 and want more of it
Back to Saturn X (E1 and E2) - For excellent map design and fantastic visuals

Going Down by Mouldy- challenging but a pleasure to play.
Great maps, a unique progression and very interesting and original music too~!

Jeffo2448 said:

I'm not too familiar with downloading custom maps etc.

First thing to mention (in case you don't know), majority of finished wads are available on the Idgames Archive, which is where you can search for them and where you mostly download them from.

Anyway, a good place to start looking for particular good wads is here - 10+ awarded wads per each year.

http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

I can relate to the suggestions of guys above, and I'm adding Jenesis. You can also consider participating in Doomworld Megawad Club, which plays Doom 2 Reloaded this month.

There's also 10 Years of Doom, Doom Wad Station, the Wad Archive, and if you just want to download a bunch of levels with one click (and quality isn't a problem), the Doom Level CD Collection from archive.org.

Or maybe after a quick browse through a couple of pages of the Wads & Mods subforum you may find something that you like.

As you can see, the main "problem" is the abundance of options.

EDIT

2nd EDIT:

Jeffo2448 said:

I'm not too familiar with downloading custom maps etc.

It's very easy, I'm going to use PrBoom+ as an example:

-Download the port, unzip
-Put a copy of your Doom/Doom 2 IWAD in the same directory as your prboom-plus.exe

That's it, now to load mods:

-Download the mod/pwad/whatever, and unzip in your prboom-plus directory (as you did with your IWAD(s))
-Drag-and-drop your mod (e.g.: nuts.wad) on top of your prboom-plus.exe (or you can use the command line*)

*e.g.: prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file nuts.wad

Most ports work like this, but there are some (Risen3D, Doomsday, etc.) that use a launcher, but it's generally just a matter of "following the instructions".

That's it, good day.

I would highly recommend Alien Vendetta if you are looking for a 32 lengthy but amazingly fun and atmospheric maps. Some people don't like the later maps due to change-up in difficulty and gameplay, but give the earlier maps a try at least.

There's also many good mapsets with few maps or just single maps that are floating around everywhere. But these usually don't show up in suggestion lists because megawads are more predominant in our minds.

Does zdoom not allow Back to Saturn? I downloaded zdoom, dropped doom 1 and doom 2 wads in the folder, but it won't allow me to run the back to Saturn wad. And yes, I dropped it in the zdoom folder. Thanks

How are you doing it? Just select btsx_e1.wad, drag it, and drop it on top of zdoom.exe. If you have both doom.wad and doom2.wad in the folder, you will be shown a list. Select Doom 2, click OK, and you're done.

If you want to wander a bit farther out into the weird land of TCs then I would highly suggest The Adventures of Square. It's a free standalone TC based on ZDoom.

Zed said:

How are you doing it? Just select btsx_e1.wad, drag it, and drop it on top of zdoom.exe. If you have both doom.wad and doom2.wad in the folder, you will be shown a list. Select Doom 2, click OK, and you're done.

That's what I did and it wouldn't work. I got it to work through PR boom+ though. Im actually playing Scythe at the moment... Pretty good stuff

Jeffo2448 said:

That's what I did and it wouldn't work.

How so? Did it crash? Did it give you stock Doom 2 maps? Did nothing happen when drag-and-dropping? Associate the .wad suffix with ZDoom, then you'll be able to play wads in ZDoom by double clicking them. Alternatively, launch the wad via a command line (or batch file) using command "zdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file btsx_e1.wad", while you're in the ZDoom folder. If you were trying to run BTSX E2, remember that you need to load both wads at the same time ("zdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file btsx_e2a.wad btsx_e2b.wad").