Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

The Keep

Peering into the sky. A sky of blackness, clouds swirling angrily overhead, thunder booming nonstop now. Clutching your chaingun, you gaze ahead at the fortress in front of you. It appears to be made of a mixture of flesh and metal. Torches light the area up around the fortress, and within is blackness. Utter and absolute. You step forward and the great wooden door rises up, beckoning you to your fate. You step inside and the door slowly lowers back into place.
You hear eerie laughter from somewhere. To your left and right are two sets of spiral stairs. You take the stairs to the left. The laughter increases. Nevertheless, you go up the stairs slowly, as they make a lot of noise each time you put your foot down on them. You notice as you get closer to the top of the stairs that there is a terrible odor lingering in the air. Finally, you stand at the top of the steps. To your immediate right is a window, looking out of which you can the open plain where you were standing only moments ago.
You walk forward down the hall, hearting thumping in your ears. The laughter of a few seconds ago fades. Your hands become sweaty, and you drop your weapon. It clatters loudly, too loudly, and a for seconds you wish you were deaf so that you might not hear the echoes. Down the hall, which is made of marble, are sets of doors. One either side of the halls are two doors each. You try the first door on the left, and find it is locked. You try the next door on down the hall, and it too locked. You then go the right hand side of the hall. You try the first right hand door and it also is locked. You feel despair rising within you. You try the last door and to your great suprise it rises up. Inside are the hung corpses of what used to be men, you are sure. There is blood two inches deep on the floor, and a single torch on the insdie of the room, with a blue flame, lights the aperture. The lights flickers eerily. You perceive by the light of the torch that there are Satanic symbols etched on the walls. Strangely and terrifyingly enough, blood seems to be oozing out of them. Just then, you hear the unmistakable laughter drifting to your ears once again. You heft your chaingun to your shoulder, ready to fire.
You go out of the room and down the stairs. They once again creak noisily, and before you know it, you stand at the place between the stairs again. You go up the right hand stairs this time and hear that damn mocking laughter again. You head up the stairs, and thunders crashes so loudly you start and stumble down the stairs unintentionally. You land at the base of the stairs with a thump and a grunt. You curse. You pick up your chaingun and then head back up the stairs, trembling minutely from fear. You finally make to the top of the stairs without any more incidents or accidents. At the top of these stairs, the hall is made of skin and bloody metal. The hall reeks nauseatingly of rotten blood and rotting flesh. You retch.
You see a small glowing square at the end of the hall. As you tiptoe down the hall, lightning cracks over head and by the split-second light it provides, you think you see the form of an Archvile, which would explain the eerie laughter. You race down the hall, as the mocking laughter turns into an angry hiss.
You leap into the square of light and are instantly teleported, angry and scared, back out the castle(!). Outside the storm overhead intensifies, and suddenly demons of all kinds begin to teleport in.
Demons, Barons, Knights, Imps, you name it. And of course an Archvile joins the throng.
Before you realize what's happening to you, you begin to fire your chaingun into the masses. Many demons fall before you, but many also survive, and some are only wounded. They surround you in a tight semi-circle, and suddenly, you're out of ammo-the chaingun stops roaring and subsides into silence........

Incredible so active this forum has become.
The story isn't so bad really, but you should watch your spelling and grammar, for instance:

To your immediate right is a window, looking out of which you can the open plain where you were standing only moments ago.

I miss a "see" here.
There are other mistakes, mostly spelling mistakes.

I see those now. Dammit!
Oh well, even us good typers can have spelling mistakes, eh?

Yeah, I make lots of 'em for instance ;-)

your story is quite good, very interesting, have you played our underworld wad yet? i think you should, you might want to check out my level, map02. blood keep! your story and my map are quite similar

Thanks for your praise :)
Underworld wad, eh? I may have to look it up. :)

I like the use of perspective here and in this case your story actually involves the reader but I must warn you that using this junction as a means of telling a prolonged story isn't advisable, you probably knew this anyway but I feel that I should at least point out.
Great story none the less and I hope you'll release others in the near future. And be sure to read mine. (Hint hint).