Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cybersexdemon

Good hell /castle wads?

I'm a big castle fan. Here are some single map recommendations:

Castle of the Renegades - a classic from 1994 with some cute custom textures.
Fortress of DEATH - 1995, very cool with challenging gameplay.
Castle of Eternal Carrot in The Sky - 2001, a surreal floating castle inspired by a dream.
Castle Nevermore - 2004, in my opinion doesn't have that "epic" castle feel due to the overall crampedness but it is well designed.
Escape from Castle Chezcrea - 2008, fully indoors, it feels more like a dungeon level to be honest. But lots of creative ideas.

Alien Vendetta's has MAP11, "Nemesis" (a giant castle high up on an island) and MAP23, "Blood Sacrifice" which is also set in a castle.

JudgeDeadd said:

Alien Vendetta's has MAP11, "Nemesis" (a giant castle high up on an island) and MAP23, "Blood Sacrifice" which is also set in a castle.

Don't forget MAP14 from Icarus.

A levels off the top of my head...

Requiem Map02 (really short, but damn... in the brief time I spent in this map on my first playthrough, the atmosphere had much more of a lasting impression on me than 99.9% of the stuff I've played since).

Requiem Map04 because of Mattias' clever progression and tricks that use the layout in such a way that makes you more aware of the surroundings (if that makes sense).

Alien Vendetta map11... wow.. where to start? It's a huge non linear majestic exploratory masterpiece, it has a vantage point near the beginning in which you can see an ominous, desolate, intimidating and beautiful huge green marble castle in the distance and you get filled with this grim feeling of determination to conquer this mysterious place, and you know that you're in for an adventure, and that's exactly what you get, you'll get lost and you'll enjoy it (how the hell they made this vanilla compatible is beyond my imagination)...

Alien Vendetta map23 is obviously overshadowed by Kim's "Misri Halek", but this is quite amazing as well, has a brooding and gloomy atmosphere. It has a lot of special touches, lots of details that add to the feeling that you really are there in the castle.

Alien Vendetta map25 because I love it when Heretic textures are used properly, and I love when both slaughter gameplay / architecture / texturing / music all blend together to create an atmosphere that has a sense grandeur to it... I also appreciate slaughter maps with a lot of space to run around in that don't kick my ass immediately.

Eternal Doom IV: Return from Oblivion. Espi's map "The Shrine" (MAP27) is the castle-iest map in Doom. As in, there are several parts of it that look like a real castle.