Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lee Griggs

Best handheld for playing doom wads?

Hi, I used to play doom on my ds and then could not get it to work on my 3ds.

So I was wondering what the best handheld console, android or otherwise, is for playing doom wads?

Cheers,
Lee

If you don't have the option for Android a PSP makes for a good system to play Doom on- I used to back when I had my custom firmware phat console (before it was throw at a wall ;_; ) and that could handle some good stuff, wads and even DEH files!

Honestly, I reccommend using a DS, the way you've been doing it. They aren't too expensive on ebay, and touch screens blow arsehole.

Alternatively you could try to find yourself a PSP, apparently there are a few good Doom ports for it that have pwad support. I'm not sure how much they cost though, I've never had the urge to buy one.

There is a Doom Legacy port for PSP, it's named PSP Legacy. There was an older Doom port, too, I don't remember what it was based on.

Also, the upcoming Retroarch PSP version will include prboom. But sadly I haven't gotten it to work yet (others have though)

But the best option would be a cheap Android tablet with KitKat and beloko's D-Touch. I think you can connect a gamepad and play it that way, too, much better than touch controls.

Thanks guys. That D-Touch looks interesting. Need to find a decent android tablet with controls. Any recommendations?

Nvidia shield portable or some chinese android console. jxd i think. they got a bunch of different models

So, I got a JXD in the end. However, the only version of Doom I can see are DoomGlES which is disappointing and the GBA version. Anyone know where I can get a better version for it?

Cheers,
Lee

Anything with a proper gamepad. Still not ideal, but much better than rubbing your thumbs on the screen like an idiot.

Lee Griggs said:

So, I got a JXD in the end. However, the only version of Doom I can see are DoomGlES which is disappointing and the GBA version. Anyone know where I can get a better version for it?

Cheers,
Lee

Android-compatible, right? I think Beloko's D-Touch is still available through the Amazon App Store, which you're going to have to install separately, since Google Play decided to be assholes and nuke all his stuff.

Beloko's D-Touch s my favourite Android Doom sourceport, it runs most of my fav mods and allows me to play online through Chocolate Doom , you should give it a shot, it's on Amazon appstore for only about 2$

I tried downloading the Amazon app but it says its not compatible with my device (JXD). Apparently, the system software is uptodate. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,
Lee

This is probably Amazon Appstore being stupid again, or it maybe because it will not work for your device .

Gentlepoke said:

I think I might go and find my Game Boy Advance, much less hassle than having to deal with loading in PWads.

Indeed. I used to play Doom on my DS but you could tell the port was never really finished. It's a little quirky and is hit and miss when it comes to PWADs.

I've said it a million times before but I've always wished there was a way to 'inject' PWADs into the GBA games. I'd love to have Alien Vendetta or Suspended in Dusk on my GBA Micro... :)

As it stands, these days, I tend to use my Asus T100 2-in-1 netbook/tablet as my Doom 'handheld'. It runs Doom Retro and ZDoom smoothly and I can also read my comics on it!
It's not the perfect solution as it is a bit big for my pocket but the battery lasts for ages. :)