Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Title pic concept for phase 1

With phase 1 getting it's own set of maps that are different from phase 2, I though that maybe we could use a different titlepic for phase 1.
http://i.imgur.com/IkO9qpQ.jpg

I drew this sketch of a titlepic. It is inspired by Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" cover, in the spirit of old games who took direct inspiration from music and movie posters(i.e Duke Nukem 3d, Turrican, Contra). I tried to keep with the theme of broken shackles symbolizing freedom.
I plan on scanning and digitalizing the sketch for use in freedoom. I never done such a thing, but I reckon it should be just like making sprites/pixel art, so it should work out fine.
There are a few things off with the pic(mainly the use of a mobius strip instead of an infinity sign, and the fact that I'm unsure whether AGM is a good or a corrupt company, which would clash with the marine holding it heroically and proud), but those should be ironed out during digitalization.

So, yay or nay, Thoughts, ideas?

The symbol I think would be better as a plaque mounted on a piece of rubble/ruins or carved into a piece of ruins in area around feet. Still plainly visible. This leaves AGM ambiguous in its mission as well.

It looks awesome.

I like it... I just think the marine should have in its hand another weapon and not the rotating thing... just for the immediacy of the picture.

And the flagpole is pointing at the upper right angle of the picture, but it is void... maybe adding something?

Looks pretty damn cool, I could see this as a titlepic (coloured in of course).

Great work!

HorrorMovieGuy said:

There are a few things off with the pic(mainly the use of a mobius strip instead of an infinity sign, and the fact that I'm unsure whether AGM is a good or a corrupt company, which would clash with the marine holding it heroically and proud), but those should be ironed out during digitalization.

Usual assumption is that it's a corrupt company, but maybe there's some plausible reason why the marine would be holding a flag with its symbol on.

all this talk and this new titlepic make me wonder the reverse, looks like the freedoomer is the evil and the monsters are trying to defend his homeland (well i got that side of view).

That pose all that blood and some impaled zombies, looks like they only kill for fun. (well i also kill him for fun :P)

Alright, thanks everyone for the feedback.
I'm gonna try and make 2 versions. One true to the sketch, and other where there's something else on the flag(or maybe another weapon?) and have the AGM logo on a collapsed building in the background. Then we'll decide which one's cooler.

Protox said:

That pose all that blood and some impaled zombies, looks like they only kill for fun.

Maybe he's angry? I'd be angry if aliens invaded and started killing people. Or maybe he's had one too many berserk kits

raymoohawk said:

i placed a request over at opengameart

Oh, that's helpful. Hope they consider giving it a try

fraggle said:

Great work!

Usual assumption is that it's a corrupt company, but maybe there's some plausible reason why the marine would be holding a flag with its symbol on.

Maybe AGM are the good guys, and their bases got overrun. He's trying to Free the AGM guys from their Doom.

kracov (DTWID, flashback to hell) has started working on a title screen based on this sketch, he also may or may not do a title screen for phase 2 as well as intermission screens

EDIT

does anyone know who edited the title pic for DTWID once kracov finished it?

A lot of titlepics for a lot of wads tend to suffer the same trope of just being a title with a cool font and a textured backdrop or just some abstract background or photo. It's good to see a titlepic that transcends that by showing the protagonist and the fighting like the original Doom 1 and 2 title art does. It gives a good representation of what the game is about right from the start.

raymoohawk said:

kracov (DTWID, flashback to hell) has started working on a title screen based on this sketch, he also may or may not do a title screen for phase 2 as well as intermission screen

That's great to hear! I loved his title screen art.

just spoke with kracov, he only requires his username and website (kracov.org) to be included in the credits. hes also agreed to help out with intermission screens, as long as we provide sketches of what they would be

Eh, fuck hiatuses.

We need a new logo IMO. I'm not a fan of the blue/green color scheme, and I think it might be a bit too reminiscent of the original Doom logo in shape. In short, it's ugly and derivative.