Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

What does a blind playthrough mean?

I see this on YT and Twitch, what the heck is it supposed to mean? At first I thought they were playing having the map memorized or maybe watching the automap all the time, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

That's why they're playing so bad? I was watching a video and thought he was playing actually blindly by listening to the monsters and shooting them.

But I understand now he actually was playing normally and sucked badly.

Why not call it "First playthrough" ?

VGA said:

"Blind" is shorter and cooler. The word is an association to "without foresight", which is an association to "without foreknowledge".

I too dislike the term "blind playthrough" and think that "first" would be a much better and more clear word in this case. But I don't know English well so maybe that's why the connection between "blind" and "without foreknowledge" is not so natural to me as it is for native speakers.

Btw I also dislike the term "FDA", which sounds more like a first attempt at recording a demo after learning the level and planning a speedrun route. That's actually how Qaatar from the demo forum interpreted it for a long time.

Blind playthrough means closing your eyes while playing . (The real meaning in language)
Just how fun :

It's supposed to mean first? Man... I've been doing it completely wrong then.

Tarnsman said:

It's supposed to mean first? Man... I've been doing it completely wrong then.

Nope. Everybody else did it wrong.

VGA said:

For the same reason that "blind date" !== "first date".

"Blind" here refers not to doing something without looking/seeing, but to the way you decide what to do. It's about the choice, not the act itself.

Yeah, English is a crazy language, but if we all somehow agreed on reducing our respective languages to a basic set of words and meanings that could be translated literally in any situation and context, we would end up with something dry, artificial and lifeless, like Esperanto.

Never_Again said:

For the same reason that "blind date" !== "first date".

So a blind playthrough would be when you never heard of the game before and actually see it for the first time at your playthrough?

While in a normal first playthrough you roughly know what to expect, because you have all kinds of info beforehand?

I think you're allowed to have played the game before, but not extensively. Like enough to make sure it installed properly and that you've got enough of a handle on the controls that it's not a complicate embarrassment to watch you fumble about. It could also apply if you started the game a long time ago but didn't get far and now intend to finish it.

The important part is that to one degree or another you don't know what's coming, and therefor, are playing it "blind".

So when checking out new wads posted in this forum, we're actually doing blind playthroughs?

purist said:

It means they've never played the game before. Or PWAD if it's a Doom video.

so... it's a FDA in other words

It's not a First Demo Attempt if the person is not recording a demo. It's still a first attempt, though.

Memfis said:

I too dislike the term "blind playthrough" and think that "first" would be a much better and more clear word in this case.

I left it out from my first reply by accident, but I'm with you here. "Blind playthrough" is just pretentious geek-speak. "First" is clear and to the point. Some nerds just like to put a little extra pizzazz on their shit to make it stand out from the million of other nerds' shit.

Memfis said:

Btw I also dislike the term "FDA", which sounds more like a first attempt at recording a demo after learning the level and planning a speedrun route. That's actually how Qaatar from the demo forum interpreted it for a long time.

"FDA" is a poorly chosen term indeed. didiertranber was another notable victim of its ambiguity. What it literally means is "an attempt at the first demo", which is pretty much how you are inclined to interpret it. Even using the same initials with "FAD" – "a demo of the first attempt" – would have been better, although I'd prefer "FTD" (a first-try demo). Anyway, FDA's been around for ten years, so we are stuck with it now.

There seems to be a question of style. If you've been around a while, that is a kind of posture statement. So, if it's more appropriate 'FDA' or 'Blind Playthrough', probably it is because the hippies abused it so many times, no one remembers caring about it anymore. They're hippies, and it's something kids with names like 'Sun Child' want to face. You can't believe it was the hippies fault.
As it relates to DOOM, "you kill, and kill, and kill again". "kill 'em all and let God sort them out", or even "Veni vidi vici" ( 'We came, we saw, we kicked their ass" ), so "it's any mans game" and "pick your poison".

Sometimes I do things called blind races and i suppose it's a term that can work with "blind races and blind playthrough".

VGA said:

I was watching a video and thought he was playing actually blindly by listening to the monsters and shooting them.

The first campaign in the Mega Drive version of G-LOC can actually be beaten blindfolded. And with one hand.

I'm serious, I've done it.

iarann said:

This was hysterical to watch. The point where he is opening a blue key door yelling about how he doesn't want a door but wants to find the blue key was priceless.

For those who don't have patience for it, it is at 1:32:40.

If you want to see a bad blind playthrough, watch me playing Final Fantasy VII Hardcore. Seriously, fuck Venus, Theo and Locke. And the Midgar Zolom. And the monsters around Cosmo Canyon.