Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Hellish texture pack

The lack of variation in Doom's hell textures has been mentioned a few times recently, so I thought a texture pack containing entirely hellish textures might be a good idea.

Possibilities for textures: fire and lava; torches and other hellish light sources; black/dark brown/red rocks; dirty and/or crumbling bricks; rusty metal; marble; bodies; flesh, skin and bones; wood; runes and other hellish symbols; gargoyles; banners and carpets; stained glass.

I'm looking for community contributions for this, so please chuck anything appropriate this way! Just bear in mind the following rules:

1) The new textures should be "Doom style", i.e. fit in with the existing textures.
2) No game rips, unless heavily modified to fit with 1)

To start with, here are some existing variants of Doom (2) textures.

Spoiler

(The textures above are all based or inspired by GothicDM and SlaughterDM textures - the 64x64 patches are the originals.)

(Forgive the large number of differently sized variations for the last three sets, really they should only have at maximum the number in the GothicDM based sets but I didn't have the time to cut out the excess.

(Some of the textures in the bottom most image are by Eriance and Cage.)

Memento Mori has some excellent hell textures:

i find the huge amount of different size 8x8 16x8 16x16 etc variations to be a huge burden rather than an advantage in a texture pack, bloat means finding the texture you need much more difficult. especially when you couple it with a variety of colours. Here you've turned essentially 1 texture into 70 seperate textures, with only a small percentage of them actually useful.

Just my 2c

Yeah, other than the last two sets they're all just images I'd already uploaded to the 'net elsewhere as I haven't had time to edit them.

I've made a note in the OP that the METAL, WOOD, and WOODMET based sets should have been trimmed down to the same selection as seen in the GothicDM sets - at one point or another I've personally made use of all these sizes, so they're potentially useful to me at least.

(Incidentally there are no 16x8 variations :).)

jmickle66666666 said:

i find the huge amount of different size 8x8 16x8 16x16 etc variations to be a huge burden rather than an advantage in a texture pack,

On the contrary, it suits my needs for precision rather well.

Because I already did essentially the same thing with the Doom2 metal textures, so I like this kind of thing.

Hey Nightmare, if you don't mind, is it possible to pull individual textures without using the whole pack? Because I've already got some existing texture packs that I'd rather add to instead of trying to pile multiple texture WADs on top of eachother (since IIRC the game only selects one texture list from the last WAD loaded rather than combining them all).

If so, then nobody has to worry about texture spam - they can just pull the ones they need and leave out the ones they don't.

I can't say I'm going to make a credit list for every individual texture in the final product, but I'll at least include the name under "texture contributors" as well as the pack file that they came from.

What an awesome brown mausoleum texture with four slots for bones! Just seeing that in a dim room would be creepy beyond belief

The metallic supports with 45° sloped tiles + the full 128x128 skull walls would complement the stock textures very nicely. I like these ones in particular.

A texture myself I would love to see more of is ADEL_G04 (GothicTX)related stuff- one of my fav textures oddly! It's something about the dark wood that appeals to me.

Would love to see more of this kind of stuff- like large scale wooden things for tiling! Maybe different sizes and styles of the metal too.

This may be weird, but when I think of dooms hell, I literally think about unaligned textures, strange abstract and jagged shaped sectors, and extreme height variation sure Sandy has a lot to do with that, but hell themed maps with supports and perfectly aligned textures with rooms that are shaped with the grid have a very 'calming' effect on me when i play, which to me feels like the opposite of how I should feel when I'm in hell.

That said I don't see myself using most of these textures. I do think doom is lacking stained glass and window pane textures though. You really have to reach into the depths of your imagination to come up with good hell textures.

FuzzballFox said:

A texture myself I would love to see more of is ADEL_G04 (GothicTX)related stuff- one of my fav textures oddly! It's something about the dark wood that appeals to me.

Combine away!

Spoiler

!!! :D :D :D :D :D Amazing stuff thank you!
~~

I don't think I made the other but here are a couple of larger teleporters done forever ago:

..and a random panel from...something I forget...probably an unfinished map :P

Do as you wish with these!
EDIT:

Had some fun with those textures!

C:

The pentagrams with these strokes look like pen drawings to me... Weird style for Doom.

It does look odd at first. Upon second glance I thought those big teleporters would look great with the translucency effect, like if the shapes were carved into a pane of glass rather messily.

Yessssss, more hell textures, I will use them all! Well maybe not all the 8x8 squared textures, those look weird to me. I agree with fuzzballfox, that's one of the best gothic textures. Surprised nothing really uses that style.

Memfis said:

The pentagrams with these strokes look like pen drawings to me... Weird style for Doom.

Well it's made with a tablet sooooo that would be why, but I can't imagine hell being able to make perfect circles with just smooth clean line, so I like to think they are "stroke" gouges into the material, it might be a bit hard to see but there is texture and depth to the shape.