Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Most demanding limit-removing map?

Which map is the most demanding in terms of detail and size, vanilla doom format? Not talking about joke shitmaps, serious maps only please.

Mainly interested for port testing and benchmarking.

Not sure if its the most complex, but Misri Halek from Alien Vendetta is one of the most massive vanilla maps I've ever seen.

Hellbound Map29 has so much stuff visible at the same time that the author even included a specially made "lite version".

I was going to mention Frozen Time for the excessively detailed open scene that has practically frozen down my computer. However, I've found out that it's Boom compatible, not limit-removing.

scifista42 said:

I was going to mention Frozen Time for the excessively detailed open scene that has practically frozen down my computer. However, I've found out that it's Boom compatible, not limit-removing.

Yes, it's nominally Boom-compatible but it only uses translucent lines as a genuine Boom feature and should work in a limited fashion with limit-removing ports that do not support all of Boom's features. (i.e. some hires graphics won't display correctly and of course the translucency effect will be absent.)

Here's the list of maps that were used for a round of GZDoom benching. Some of them do require compatibility with Boom, Legacy, or ZDoom, though. Boom maps can probably still be loaded in a pure limit-removing port for benchmarking the renderer even if the gameplay will be broken. Anyway, the list was:

• Cheogsh MAP01
  • The Darkest Hour MAP04
  • Epic MAP05
  • Hellcore MAP09
  • Operation Overlord MAP01
  • Phobos: Anomaly Reborn E1M6
  • Phobia: The Age MAP05
  • Super Sonic Doom MAP02
  • Super Sonic Doom MAP10
  • Sunder MAP10
  • Knee-Deep in ZDoom Z1M6
  • The Ultimate Torment & Torture TNT04CN
  • ZPack E1M0
So the most interesting maps here are Epic, Hellcore, Sunder, and P:AR.

To that I'd add Planisphere 2.

Hellcore and Sunder are definitve stress tests but the heaviest is still Frozen Time.

BTW, on my Core i7, 3.2GHz it runs at 1920x1080 with 11 fps in ZDoom and 60 fps in GZDoom with OpenGL. (Hellcore runs at >150fps in GL on the same system with same spec.)

i think op is talking vanilla maps, or maps that don't make use of boom or zdoom extensions, although they exceeds the limits of vanilla doom.
entryway's doomp/doom2p seems to be a good limit-removing vanilla HACK.
i think hell revealed 2 map32 is also a good vanilla map for benchmarking.

Graf Zahl said:

Hellcore and Sunder are definitve stress tests but the heaviest is still Frozen Time.

BTW, on my Core i7, 3.2GHz it runs at 1920x1080 with 11 fps in ZDoom and 60 fps in GZDoom with OpenGL. (Hellcore runs at >150fps in GL on the same system with same spec.)

Isn't an i7 little or no benefit over an i5 or an i3 in ZDoom due to lack of multithreading?

Gez said:

Boom maps can probably still be loaded in a pure limit-removing port for benchmarking the renderer even if the gameplay will be broken.

Doesn't seem that useful to me. Given, you don't touch an illegal sector type, so the game doesn't quit immediately, you might encounter the medusa effect, which pretty much kills the benchmark.

Woolie Wool said:

Isn't an i7 little or no benefit over an i5 or an i3 in ZDoom due to lack of multithreading?

For Doom related use it shouldn't matter - but it's what I bought 3 years ago as a working machine. GZDoom uses approx. 2 cores, one for the game, one half for sound and one half for OpenGL.