Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

doomworld or bad general internet behaviour. thoughts ?

I do not know what happened to DoomWorld over the last two years, with the advent rise in sarcastic posts and less content next to the wads section. But this recipe might be of use ;

Troldarium ;
Mingle one spoon of trollidus with a cup of trollinum which should be at room temperature. Stir it until it becomes a bland clean liquid. Let it rest for five minutes. Now add 20 milligrams of idutroll which will stiffen the brew into a liquid dough.

put the brew into a pan and let it bake until it resembles a pancake. After a while it will start to troll you with weird noises. Do not fear, it is just the air escaping the Troldarium. It is not intelligent to begin with so do not let it anger you.

Now take this Troldarium as it is a powerful magic item, fight your way to the icon of dumb and throw it into his brain. The icon of dumb its brain will shrink and it will produce odd non intelligent sounds in an attempt to anger you. Eventually it will die because of anger induced brain damage.

It is best to play the song 'baby got back' by sir mixalot for added comedy.

Your thoughts on this odd shift on doomworld and the users their behaviour ?

Yes the odd humor was always there, but something really feels off lately. especially compared to when i just joined. It was never venomous to use Jaxoon R his description.

I like sarcasm. Most boards I visit are filled with high-strung crazies that take everything too seriously. Some people make me laugh.

FireFish said:

The kinds of people that post here and the kinds of content they bring have remained pretty static for a decade or more. Honestly.

FireFish said:

Some people are simply like that, some other people get influenced by them, maybe because it seems cool, while very few people actively un-learn these habits, because that's uncool. :(
Over time, people also slowly lose their interest and appreciation for wads. Thankfully, some don't.

When reading very old posts, it seems like the forum atmosphere must've been quite different before I joined, and I've observed change since I've joined. But as for any kind of recent shift? No, I fail to see it.

The shift I've noticed is just a gradual slide towards less activity. That doesn't surprise me. People move on or disappear, and there haven't been so many DOOM events in the news or otherwise to attract new people in recent years.

DW used to be a lot worse, if I remember correctly, although there was way more activity to keep people entertained in all sections of the forums. People were flaming the shit out of each other in the /newstuff threads. People had ideological stances they had to argue out every damn week, as if anyone would ever stop liking what they wanted to play.

If anything I think people have actually become a lot friendlier on DW and the trolling is limited to basic one-liners. No one goes into complex idiosyncratic trolling except in the political, religion, and sex threads.

It's almost as if everyone is playing chaotic good characters in a DnD 3.5 system and everyone wants to play a gay race like Sun Elf. Things are actually pretty civil around here

To be pretty honest, I'm pretty much sarcastic online and offline unless I'm talking about a topic that I take very seriously.

I get the overall feeling if you haven't been here since the beginning or sometime before/around/shortly after Doom 3's release you missed out. But the humor/sarcasm here has always been present.

I don't call some who hates someone else for no reason mellow.I call them an asshole.Good night,and pleasant dreams,everyone

grouchbag said:

I don't call some who hates someone else for no reason mellow.I call them an asshole.Good night,and pleasant dreams,everyone

Three years and still bitter over one comment.

DW, as far as I know, has always been this way.
Don't believe me? Look to the place where all the bad posts go to die; Post Hell.

Technician said:

This place has actually mellowed out, dude. The internet just got more safe-minded.

Yep. When I first joined back in 2001 (yes, I had an earlier banned profile) it was pretty hardcore. It has tamed down A LOT since those days...

Darknation is a relic here now (hasn't changed even though this forum/userbase has), but he reminds me of old DW, in the best way possible.

Technician said:

Three years and still bitter over one comment.

Actually,I was referring to some one else.And whether you like it or not,I'm a member of DW forums.Pleasant dreams,dear.

Its better than Youtube and Twitter comments. Those seem to be people trying to prove they're the funniest.

You can judge a lot about something by watching its fans interact. Even between Youtube channel to channel. Some Youtubers attract a hateful, disrespectful fan base while others have a respectful and loving fan base.

Chu said:

Darknation is a relic here now (hasn't changed even though this forum/userbase has), but he reminds me of old DW, in the best way possible.

DarkNation's meds got to him as a youngling. I wasn't here for it, it was before my time on this site, but I still know why he's a delicate static flower.

Love you, hun.

The unique and diverse attitude of the Doomworld community is the very reason I finally joined and made an account here after lurking for so many years. There's some consistently humorous posters, deep thinkers, sarcastic individuals, serious individuals, technically intelligent coders and mappers, (at times) very diverse general political opinions, talented drawers and musicians, metal and rock music fans - a little bit of everything really. It's a nice vibrant place with lots of creativity and just enough moderator control to stop retarded threads from taking over. I feel it's always been this way and continues to be so, which is a very good thing. Long live Doomworld.

Clonehunter said:

DarkNation's meds got to him as a youngling. I wasn't here for it, it was before my time on this site, but I still know why he's a delicate static flower.

this should be good. Go on, share your insights.