Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grandfathersir

id Anthology

I have the idanthology in the original box with plastic wrap never been opened. If anyone could tell me what it is worth that would be great. Thanks for any help.

I bought one several years ago, complete but without the plastic wrap for ~£200 ($300). Still sealed, I'd expect it to be worth a lot more - anything up to $500.

Grandfathersir said:

I have the idanthology in the original box with plastic wrap never been opened. If anyone could tell me what it is worth that would be great. Thanks for any help.

Is Ebay the best place to try and sell it?

It's the most common place to sell Doom collectibles, but you might also find collectors here on Doomworld who are interested in buying.

fraggle said:

It's the most common place to sell Doom collectibles, but you might also find collectors here on Doomworld who are interested in buying.

Thanks for the help. New to Doomworld, what forum should I post on?

Grandfathersir said:

New to Doomworld, what forum should I post on?

Post a link in this thread when you'll be done registering the item on Ebay. You should also rename the thread to "id Anthology in original plastic wrap for sale" to attract buyers. If you make your item biddable, then you might want to advertise it elsewhere too, so you can get the most money from it.

I got a complete albeit opened copy for about $75 a year or two ago I think. I did get a little lucky I guess. I know I wouldn't have spent over $100 on it at least. The seller, apparently from Lucas Arts judging by the stationary, even claimed it was given to him by John Carmack during a visit to id. If that's true or not doesn't really matter to me of course, I was just interested in the Mac version of Wolf3D.

axdoom1 said:

I found one on Ebay. €450 and not even new.

They can vary a lot in price. Mine cost about $130, but like so many used copies it was missing the t-shirt.

The t-shirt is nothing special, but I'd like to know its size by curiosity. I've been given copies of the four CDs and the only things I'd like to find are the dog tags and the Doom comic.

The one in my set is an XL. I'm not sure if they are all like that or not since my version didn't have the fixed version of Final Doom. I would assume they are all different?

Although being sealed that long will have it's downsides.

I got a reply:

Email reply says:
I listed it and have already sold. I may have another one available if you are interested. Not sure yet.

Best,
Jack

aaah bad memories...
I bought it from someone on the forum here, I paid but never received it.
I found he was selling it elswhere at the same time and he told me that he had 2 boxes...
He told me he sent it, on problem, if it never arrive to my home the insurance will give my money back. Nothing happened, and he didn't reply anymore...
He talked to me again after I came back here to told the story, maybe annoyed for his reputation.
After stalking him a lot he gave me half my money back and was supposed to give me the other half next month and never had any news from him.
I must have been about 10 years ago, but I still feel my ass burning when I think to it. :/

That sucks, man. Reminds me a lot of the similar shit transactions that happen on NA/assembler.

mekka said:

aaah bad memories...

Yeah, I saw that.

The best idea is to buy it on Ebay, pay with Paypal (they will refund you if the seller suddenly disappears) and to get a tracking number. That way, a buyer has all the protection on his side.

mekka said:

aaah bad memories...
I bought it from someone on the forum here, I paid but never received it.
I found he was selling it elswhere at the same time and he told me that he had 2 boxes...
He told me he sent it, on problem, if it never arrive to my home the insurance will give my money back. Nothing happened, and he didn't reply anymore...
He talked to me again after I came back here to told the story, maybe annoyed for his reputation.
After stalking him a lot he gave me half my money back and was supposed to give me the other half next month and never had any news from him.
I must have been about 10 years ago, but I still feel my ass burning when I think to it. :/

Oh my. This guy.

That's why anytime I ship anything international anymore, I tell people ahead of time it will take months (if ever) to arrive. Also why I noted it on my mapping contest on the WAD/MOD thread (if winner is international, it could a LONG time to arrive)

At the time used USPS (United States Postal Service), shipped via insured w/ tracking.

I collect a shit-ton of DOOM-related memorabilia (for instance, currently en route to me is a original mail ordered boxed copy of DOOM v1.2, sealed boxed copy of DOOM 2, (2) exclusive edition knee deep in the dead dioramas, already received the signed nextstation, already received the signed D!zone, currently purchasing (2) more id anthology's (I tried buying from this poster, but he never responded), well, you get the picture...)

I've sold a lot of stuff over the years. Even international, no problem.

Mekka purchased it was a full id anthology and a signed doom poster (correct me if im wrong on that) that I had posted here. I ship, he claims he never received it, comes here, fraggle raises my attention via facebook or myspace that he's asking for me, so I ask him to do the usual (check with his local carrier, neighbor, etc for delivery) while I do my due diligence here. I check with my post office. They blatantly say "international shipment, all we can tell you is it got to customs, and that's it. It's out of our hands once it leaves this country. Sorry". They wont let me file an insurance claim. So I ask "WHY WOULD YOU LET ME ADD INSURANCE IF YOU CANT INSURE IT"? Their response was if the package arrived damaged, it could be claimed.

So I check with another dude I shipped some stuff to in (Netherlands, I think?) and he hadn't received his. So I think "maybe it takes awhi,e since both haven't arrived yet". Weeks go by, Mekka still hasn't received anything. But the dude in Netherlands did.... it took almost 3 months. Also the guy in the Netherlands said it looked like the box had been open post-shipping and was missing stuff. I showed Mekka verification (and openly let him contact this other dude, not sure if he did) that yes, it took months for this stuff to arrive, and it looks like customs somewhere along the lines got into the box [or someone did out there]).

Mekka says "dude, whatever, just refund me my cash".

I go back to the post office one last time to see if anything was returned or exception noted, and again "It's out of our hands once it leaves this country. But be mindful that you have no way to prove they didn't receive it, either...."

So I refunded him half the payment. I can't prove he never received. So now, not only am I out of product, Ive got to fork out half repayment that I could never recoup on a package that may or may not have been delivered. there were some red flags on why I was hesitant to give reimbursement, but I couldn't rule out that he didn't get it. but I don't think it's at all unreasonable I reimbursed him half simply based on the account that while I couldn't prove it ever arrived, I couldn't disprove it either. I have nothing against mekka and stealing someone's hard earned cash is the most dick move I can think of when it comes to online sales... but I took a loss as well (product, shipping costs, reimbursement)

this was my first and so far last issue I've ever had with international buyers... albeit it takes time for stuff to arrive (in almost every instance). course now I read about how amazon and ebay and specialty shippers can ship international at the same cost a time frame as local as of recent.. instead of ridicolous prices and months long wait, but that's only as of recent.

@axdoom1... I do everything through paypal. I think that's how this was handled.

Buckshot said:

At the time used USPS (United States Postal Service), shipped via insured w/ tracking.

If you have the tracking number and it is valid, then you have the proof that you've shipped the item.

Buckshot said:

Also the guy in the Netherlands said it looked like the box had been open post-shipping and was missing stuff.

Sometimes, the customs may check if the package contains unlawful stuff. That's sad, because even if the item is an unopened collectible, they have to open it to check inside.

axdoom1 said:

If you have the tracking number and it is valid, then you have the proof that you've shipped the item.

hmmm. I may still have it actually. I've moved a few times since 2007, but I think I kept stuff like that in a specific folder in a box. see if I can dig it up and see what the last status is.

I remember having it when I went to usps to ask. but course, that was years ago, and that was last mention accirding to their status system.

I know all about customs from work experience. they are absolutely a pain in the ass... especially when you're expecting something. I can't count how many times I was expecting something that you presume would have no issue passing thru, and then have it delayed for weeks on end while they do who knows what with it. specifically I had ordered like 400 usb thumb drives from some dude in Germany for work (he was a good vendor).. when I got the package almost 4 and a,half months later, the box had been ripped open, taped back together all half assed and only 40 or 60 of those thumb drives were in it. such a joke customs/border patrol/etc is.