Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Valiant + Sawdust demos [-complevel 11]

Surprised you've managed to save so much time just by rocketing everything instead of going for a slower but way more reliable Plasma ending. Also that run through the ledge was perfect.

Yeah, if I feel like it I may go ahead and optimize the end a bit as I wasn't fully happy with it but I'll take this for now. Playing around with other maps atm, trying to unrust. 

Map 18 UV-Max in 9:31

Had this routed a while back. Monster placement in this map sometimes feels like the map was enlarged with the scale function in an editor, but without adding more monsters. :)

va18-931.zip

Nice. Route looks awkward with so much backtracking and a few spots have visible mistakes on your part, but can't argue with 107 seconds down.

MAP24 is the last one left in need of a decent demo. I hope you're up to the task, I keep getting owned on that one when trying to go fast.

Yeah, I knew it has some mistakes. I still like it because unlike a few earlier Valiant demos of mine it was pleasant for me to watch thanks to my new mouse setup, which isn't fully refined yet but is finally acceptable. 

Anyway, I'd do 24 -- some fun setpieces, and a rare opportunity in Valiant for what can be a tight cyb two-shot, if it wanders to an awkward spot -- but it has a lot of that "scattered" monster placement in which the challenge feels more about remembering where all the cliffbound monsters are than surviving fights, so it's not too appealing for routing at the moment. The mood might strike me I guess, but it's unlikely. 

Edited by rdwpa

Map 06 UV-Max in 5:52

Had halfheartedly entertained doing this one a while back as well. Goal was sub-6:30 so sub-6 will do; arachnorb bunching got really lucky, along with the requisite "an imp isn't somewhere using the toilet at the end of the run" luck.

va06-552.zip

Edited by rdwpa

MAP24 UV-Max in 13:16, PrBoom+ v2.5.1.5, -complevel 11

My first and only exit in a speedrun context (the previous casual one in ZDoom was 21:03). Routed this for safety to optimise my health pickups and make sure not to skip any monster. Still took around 4 hours worth of bashing my head against cathedral AVs refusing to die, Cyberdemon refusing to shoot until walking straight into my face, random Daedabuses not bunching up and backstabbing me at most inopportune moments and just general choking.

va24-1316.zip

On 10/05/2015 at 3:39 AM, PjSpartacus said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (nearly three years later), but I found a Chaingunner you missed in the central area. :O

5 hours ago, Poncho said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (nearly three years later), but I found a Chaingunner you missed in the central area. :O

Great, probably my best Valiant demo too. Someone else can have at it cause im not touching it lol

This is why you should always play with advanced HUD on, even if it doesn't show the ammo counters (why???).

Biggest update to the previous route was rocketing Cacodemons instantly after dropping down to lava in #3 optional area. Some of them tend to bunch up right off the bat, but rarely all of them as they did here. A few other minor adjustments include running straight to the opposite of Plasma Rifle platform to increase chances of Daedabus vs Mancubi infight and some careful Minigun use after initial BK teleport to provoke Mancubus vs Pyro Knights infight (didn't happen here unfortunately).

In hindsight I should've used Plasma Gun on AV + 2 Pinkies guarding Megasphere secret to save two or three seconds there, but then I'd risk running out of cells for RK area and being unable to safely kill at least the first Daedabus. Maybe could've instead used a few more rockets at the beginning of YK area to save some cells.

Also my movement will suck forever.

This is my last Valiant IL demo. I might return to it in the second half of the year to do some episode maxes if I feel like it and no one does them first.

va23-629.zip

Edited by tchkb

On 4.02.2018 at 2:28 PM, tchkb said:

This is why you should always play with advanced HUD on, even if it doesn't show the ammo counters (why???).

No.

But it's good habit to check the demo.

I mean, I never use HUD that shows the kills/remaining (and some demos are Vanilla/Doom2+/Chocolate) , but before I write the text I watch the demo and check the remaining monsters count :-P

Valiant map 24 "none more ellastic" UVmax in 11:43:

va24-1143.zip

Run went far from "optimal", but I figured I'd upload it anyway, since it's an improvement over the previous 13:16 which was routed in a way that I thought was a bit weird here and there. Also I really don't wanna play that map again to be honest.

Got some kinda messed up movement in there, and I'm not sure if it is my keyboard that's the problem here. Seems it doesn't always accept key presses lately. :/

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

On 2/22/2018 at 11:56 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Got some kinda messed up movement in there, and I'm not sure if it is my keyboard that's the problem here. Seems it doesn't always accept key presses lately. :/

Sounds like it's time for some mouse-only runs 😎

Valiant D2EP3 UV Max in 1:04:27, PRBoom v2.5.1.5cl11

First try (not counting multiple MAP14 resets) by some damn miracle. I didn't deserve this after all the fuckups in the last two maps, especially dropping down to MAP18 Mastermind trap without a rad suit and not realising it until I'm almost dead.

Video

vae3-10427.zip

Edited by tchkb

Valiant MAP19 UV Max in 2:36, PRBoom v2.5.1.5cl11

Slow, ugly and full of fuckups, but I'm still submitting this just to demonstrate how smooth the rest of the level goes if you manage to get multiple Cyberdemons infight Daedabuses immediatelly after taking the secret.

EDIT please don't upload, I'll make a better demo soon.

va19-236.zip

Edited by tchkb

Valiant D2EP4 UV Max in 49:29, PRBoom v2.5.1.5cl11

First try again (not counting 30 or so MAP19 resets), even more underserved than the last one. Also updated MAP19 record by another 2 seconds.

Video

vae4-4929.zip