Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Why was /idgames2 discontinued unlike /idgames?

I hope I don't offend anyone by asking this, but why didn't /idgames2 survive the time, unlike /idgames? Why is there not a definitive unified place for Quake-engine user content the same as there is for Doom ones?

printz said:

I hope I don't offend anyone by asking this

Why would it be offensive?

I think it's really unfortunate that it's gone. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't know.

Avoozl said:

Because this isn't QuakeWorld?

You are aware that Doomworld doesn't operate /idgames either, right?

Sodaholic said:

You are aware that Doomworld doesn't operate /idgames either, right?

I always thought they worked together with DoomWorld, I guess I must've missed something there.

Avoozl said:

I always thought they worked together with DoomWorld, I guess I must've missed something there.

There's a very close community tie and most people access the archive through Doomworld's frontend, but make no mistake, the archive operates independently.

I haven't played any single player maps for Quake 1 (and a lot less for II) in a really long time but afaik nobody maps for Quake anymore? It seemed to all grind to a halt in the early 2000s.

Well that's cool to know, I played almost everything there was on the old Team Shambler Q1 SP level reviews website.

printz said:

why didn't /idgames2 survive the time, unlike /idgames?

There's been a lot of posts pointing out where the alternatives went, but this seems like an interesting question that wasn't answered. Did its death coincide with that of cdrom.com or was there some other reason for it being discontinued?

File sizes of Quake & Quake II mods are also much larger than Doom so hosting costs were more of an issue during the pre-cloud era.

Afterglow said:

File sizes of Quake & Quake II mods are also much larger than Doom so hosting costs were more of an issue during the pre-cloud era.

I've counted 47 releases with more than 10mb size on quaddicted.