Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Will Doom 4 have music like Doom 1 and 2?

Had this dream one night, years ago, of seeing a DOOM trailer in the graphic art and style of the DOOM comic book where Doom guy is running through a demon infested UAC labs corridors in animation motion, ripping and tearing everything apart in his path, with pause-zoom in's, close ups, speed up's and slo-mo on his face during each expression and as he was gutting an imp and some zombiemen in absolute lunancy and rage.

Song that was playing during this comic-style trailer was Flashdance's "Maniac". No joke. And for reference, here's that song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjbGr2nk2c

As crazy and terrible as that sounds, from what I vaguely remember, it was a comically hilarious, yet awkwardly intense mashup.

If I remember correctly, I was reading some of the DOOM novels and that song just so happened to be on the radio earlier that day, hence why it probably did that crazy connection of stuff we encounter during a day deep within my head during my slumber. Or it could have been all the acid I dropped that night. Who knows.

Touchdown said:

...for a proper AAA title soundtrack is there to enhance the visuals and the tone.

It's kind of sad that this has become a fact of modern AAA game design. I rather miss when even the top-tier games weren't afraid to have catchy soundtracks instead of ambient ones attempting to be modern Hollywood movies.

I don't expect Doom 4 to buck that particular trend at this point, though. It'll have metal music, to be sure, but I don't expect it'll be constantly playing like it did in Doom or even Quake; rather, it'll only rev up when action starts happening, and otherwise opt for dull ambience during the lulls. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm feeling rather cynical.

I'm assuming that Doom 4 will have metal music like in Brutal Doom. I'm not really expecting it, or care too much about it, but that's what I imagine it will have.
It might also be interesting if Doom 4 decided to use midi music like the original Doom, but I doubt it.

Avoozl said:

I agree the whole osts are not timeless but some tracks do still stand out quite well, but when they are redone with better instruments and effects they can be quite nice.

D_E1M3
D_E1M5
D_E1M7
D_E1M8
D_E2M2
D_E2M4
D_E2M6
D_E2M8
D_STALKS
D_COUNTD
D_IN_CIT
D_ROMERO
D_TENSE
D_OPENIN

Stuff like those tracks?

Regarding Doom 2, I fucking laughed my ass off at Taco Bell elevator music.. That describes map02's music perfectly!

To be serious though, thats the only 'wow that's stupid' song in the game. Map06's music is kinda boring but other than those two I think the music is quite good.

Regarding Doom 4, I would really like a majority ambient (but catchy!) soundtrack with the occasinal metal song. The same distribution as Doom 1 and hopefully just as memorable. Not being stuck with the limitations of MIDI, we could end up with a very gritty and moody soundtrack, which I feel was honestly a big aspect of the first game.

Doomkid said:

Regarding Doom 2, I fucking laughed my ass off at Taco Bell elevator music.. That describes map02's music perfectly!

To be serious though, thats the only 'wow that's stupid' song in the game.

Strangely, I actually liked that song.

IMX said:

everything is pointing out at Mick Gordon getting involved in the music for Doom 4

I love the living shit out of Mick's work. That 3-second music snippet in the E3 reveal teaser even sounded a whole lot like him, so I'm naturally excited to hear his music in the game itself now.

It didn't have any memorable music at Quakecon demo.

Everyone remembers the Doom 1 and 2 themes from various levels. They should have made modern versions of them...

Gruson said:

It didn't have any memorable music at Quakecon demo.

Everyone remembers the Doom 1 and 2 themes from various levels. They should have made modern versions of them...

Most would be terribly out of place. E1M7 and E2M7 could work though.

ChickenOrBeef said:

How does this imply he's working on Doom 4? Am I missing something?

I don't know if that video points toward Doom. I agree with you there. I find it interesting, though, that his banner image on Twitter is the revenant. And apparently, he worked on the "Call of Doom 4" iteration and leaked a couple of tracks from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lPnu5jOmII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCIzcGcCjk

I hope he's still attached. I feel he should be. The leaked tracks don't give us much to work with - just a couple of short ambient pieces - but considering some of his other output, I'm not bothered.

DooM_RO said:

Most would be terribly out of place. E1M7 and E2M7 could work though.

Redone versions of these songs could be incredibly moody and suitable for the new Doom:

E1M3
E1M7 - Would be insanely epic with an orchestral feel
E1M8
E2M2 - Containment Area Theme? I mean come on, that's BEGGING to be redone with high quality sound and an added layer of grit!
E2M6 - This would also be mind-blowingly awesome with an orchestral feel!

The original Doom music (not the "metal" tracks even) is prime pickins for modern remakes, far as I'm concerned.

I'm crossing my fingers for no metalcore, post-nu metal or generic Painkiller-esque hard rock. I'm slightly worried because I think the teaser wanted to go for the "get you pumped the fuck up" style, whereas I'm hoping for something more droning and ambient.

I think the soundtrack will consist of creepy ambience for the more slow paced moody sections and faster metal music for the more action oriented firefights. At least that's way I think it will go.

probably not. this is a brand-spanking new game, not a 90s PC game. it is possible to have something of slightly higher production-value than GM MIDI files, and they'd be stupid not to try and utilize that. not to rag on Doom's music, mind, but i'm 99% sure that such music would be very unfitting for Doom 4.

Linguica said:

I really hope they don't try and include a bunch of garbage metal.

I have to agree

Linguica said:

I don't want Slipknot in my Doom 4 either but it's a very real possibility.

Linguica said:

I don't think Doom 4 will include Metalcore, Nu Metal, or Brostep (not that I think those genres are 100% bad).

I think the most likely scenario would be Industrial Metal, which would be a perfect fit. Thrash metal was cool in the original games because it provided that "I don't give a fuck" attitude, but Industrial Metal would actually be a much better fit for a modern Doom game.

That along with dark ambient tracks as well.

I think something in the vein of Portal and similar would fit quite well. At least for some parts.

Piper Maru said:

I certainly hope not, the Taco Bell elevator music of Doom II will not fit in with Doom 4.

LOL, that is a perfect way to describe that song.

Also, games like Killing Floor and Painkiller have metal tracks, so if anything, DooM 4 could potentially sound like that if it has any metal sections.

There are also the Brutal Doom song remakes so that could give an idea of what remakes of classic songs sound like. I'm pretty sure there's no way they're using existing fan remakes.

it is with certainty that the dev's of the new DOOM are actively reviewing feedback here, unbeknownst to (most) of us.

Whatever general consensus on such topics are may highly influence the outcome of the game.

Keep that in mind.

potnop said:

LOL, that is a perfect way to describe that song.

Also, games like Killing Floor and Painkiller have metal tracks, so if anything, DooM 4 could potentially sound like that if it has any metal sections.

There are also the Brutal Doom song remakes so that could give an idea of what remakes of classic songs sound like. I'm pretty sure there's no way they're using existing fan remakes.

Painkiller has some of the worst "metal" I've ever heard, and I grew up during the nu metal era. Metal sucks mostly. And this is coming from a fan of 16 years. I'm already cringing at the thought of "heavy" music being in the game.

GoatLord said:

Painkiller has some of the worst "metal" I've ever heard, and I grew up during the nu metal era. Metal sucks mostly. And this is coming from a fan of 16 years. I'm already cringing at the thought of "heavy" music being in the game.

I don't remember what the music even sounds like actually. Metal isn't a huge deal for me.

My most favorite songs in DooM are usually the less metal ones like E1M3, Halls of The damned, E1M9, Into Sandy's City, etc...