Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Getting to know you, part 1.

Nothing in particular - everything which sounds good.
(I listen to the Doom MP3s a few times a year).
I think my favorite genre is metal music (as long as it's not downright braindead metal music), but I kinda like good ambient too.

I like everything that is pleasant to listen to. Various examples: backstreet boys, enya, tori amos, depeche mode, DT/LTE, ayeron, robbie williams, simon & garfunkel, beethoven.
Quite diverse stuff...

The only music I generally dislike is rap/hip-hop/R&B.

Erik said:

I like everything that is pleasant to listen to. Various examples: backstreet boys, enya, tori amos, depeche mode, DT/LTE, ayeron, robbie williams, simon & garfunkel, beethoven.
Quite diverse stuff...

The only music I generally dislike is rap/hip-hop/R&B.

I only feel the same about Simon & Garfunkel and Beethoven. The rest... heh

And yeah, rap/hip-hop/R&B sucks badly.

Well, I think music is dying and I think a lot of people would agree with me. However that is besides the point I suppose, so here is what I listen to; Pink Floyd, Marilyn Manson, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Rob Zombie/White Zombie, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Oingo Boingo, KMFDM, Slayer, AC/DC, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles/John Lennon etc.

Anything that has a meaning that is more than face value I guess. Typically I've always prefered heavy metal, but I make exceptions for the really 'great' bands as you can see. I like a lot of other bands and I listen to a lot of film music (generally Danny Elfman stuff) and video game soundtracks too.

I also think that bands aren't really bands anymore. Their priorities are along the lines of one third music, two thirds gimmick and that is fine if you're actually singing about something. It was never a problem with Manson or Alice Cooper or even Zombie to me but bands now are like more about sex appeal or stupid irrelevant shit then they are about 'good' music. Or maybe I'm just being prejudice to every band that has come out in the last 4 years or so. Either way.

The King of Thieves,
Black

I listen to whatever sounds good to me - regardless of band etc. However, nowadays everything is the same identical crap with slightly differently marketed performers (no they are not artists).

GS-1719 said:

I listen to whatever sounds good to me - regardless of band etc. However, nowadays everything is the same identical crap with slightly differently marketed performers (no they are not artists).

What about independent music then? Bands signed on their own small unafiliated labels. Maybe even the young hopes without a contract. They may take some effort to find, but go look in your neighbourhood. You may just find something you like.

Even though the grand corporate Babylon is trying to conquer all creativity they will never truly win the fight.

Absolutely anything as long as it's top notch stuff from each specific genre. A varied repertory of music is quite great when you need inspiration for totally different themes.

VileSlay said:

METAL!! black, death, doom, gore, grindcore, 80's. cradle of filth, mayhem, hypocrisy, iron maiden, twisted sister, kreator, mortician, just to name a few. and my all time favorite, GWAR!!!!

I also like reggae.

Yeah! long live the metal fans! reggae?

Yeah what about reggae?

Reggae is cool. Especially some of the newer badass stuff. I never really liked the "popular" stuff.

Kinda weird statement from one who likes industrial. But ok, i'm only a rivethead halfbreed.

Wow...why have I not seen this thread before. Anyway, since music is my #1 love in life I'm going to have to give you my 2c.

I just love industrial. Its my favorite genre, mainly because its so experimental and innovative. Thats what I really enjoy. Good original music. I also like at lot of the groundbreaking music of the 60s-70s like The Beattles, Jimmi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, and especialy Pink Floyd. Also some of the newer unique sounding artists like Beck and Cake. And of course I've got to give some credit to the master of experimental music, Frank Zappa.

Okay, and now for my current top 20 list (current because it always changes and 20 because 10 just isn't enough):

1. ohGr -lead singer of skinny puppy gone solo (brilliant!)
2. Tool - greatest rock band ever
3. KMFDM - kick ass industrial metal
4. Das Ich - cool inovative German industrial
5. Pop Will Eat Itself - industrial from England...yay!
6. Pink Floyd - their old stuff is better than their popular stuff
7. Skinny Puppy - evil sounding industrial
8. Nine Inch Nails - not very original in style, but pretty damn good
9. Black Sabbath - the original metal band!
10. Alice in Chains - cuz I used to love grunge sooo much
11. Razed in Black - yay...goth industrial
12. Wumpscut - yay...more goth industrial
13. Jimi Hendrix - best guitarist ever
14. Nirvana - at least the unplugged album...
15. Slick Idiot - cuz En Esche is so damn sexy
16. Devo - isn't Mark Mothersbaugh doing music for kids cartoons now?
17. Meat Beat Manifesto - funky industrial that gets stuck in your head
18. Beck - indescribable in style...each song sounds different from the last
19. System of a Down - the only good metal out there nowadays
20. Genitorturers - chicks n' sex n' industrial music...whooo!

Think i'll just list my small CD collection and you can draw your own conclusions. In no paticular order.

1)Never Mind the Bollocks Here's The Sex pistols
2) Pulp Fiction (soundtrack)
3) Nin Halo 9: Closer (both Cds)
4) Nin Halo 17: And All That Could of Been (SE)
5) Eminem: Slim Shady LP (SE)
6) Daft Punk: Homework
7) Hannibal (soundtrack)
8) Event Horizon (soundtrack)
9) Eminem: Marshal mathers EP
10) D12: Devil's night
11) Alien Trilogy (soundtrack)
12) Gorillaz
13) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (soundtrack)
14) Alien vs Predator (soundtrack)
15) N.W.A: Greatest Hits
16) Film Four: Essential Soundtracks
17) The Best Classical Album of the Millienium... Ever (Gayest Name Award 2001)
18) Interview with the Vampire (soundtrack)
19) Dre: Chronic 2001

darknation said:

3) Nin Halo 9: Closer (both Cds)

Umm...both? I count only one...is that one of those damn imports? Those things piss me off.

4) Nin Halo 17: And All That Could of Been (SE)

Dammit. I had to buy the damn DVD instead of the special edition CD. WHY!?! Now there is no special edition CD for me... ... ...only pain.

a) CD1 - Further Away
1 Closer
2 Closer (Deviation)
3 Closer (further Away)
4 Closer (precurser) *personal favourate*
5 Closer (internal)

CD 2 - Closer to God
1 Closer to God
2 Heresy (blind)
3 memorabilia
4 march of the fuckheads

(b) You're not missing much.

Is the second CD (Closer to God) cooler?

I have the first CD (Further away) and I'm rather dissapointed with it. None of the remixes adds anything of value to the original. The coolest remix of a NIN track I have heard is the Charlie Clouser version of Ruiner on the digipack version of Further Down the Spiral, but I still think that the Jewelcase version is teh l33test.

1 Closer to God About the same quality as the Closer Remixes on disc 1. Slightly different lyrics (wanna fuck you/ wanna taste you/ wanna feel you/ wanna be you etc.) It's OK but nothing new.

2 Heresy (blind) Heresy Remix. I have not heard the original, so I can't really compare. I think this is probally the best track on the CD.

3 Memoribila NO. NiN meets hip-hop beats. NO. I could eat a curry and FART a better song than this. It might be tolerable if the voices singing were less gay.

4 March of the Fuckheads WEIRD. Pure instrumental, no lyrics. Think Quake meets Terminator. It's repetive as fuck but I kinda like it. I'd like to hear it with Trent singing Closer over the top accually, I think it would be bad ass.

Lüt warned me that this CD was "a nightmare" approximately two minutes after I ordered it from amazon. I'm inclined to agree, the only song that I 100% like is Heresy and I bet the original is better.

Kaaza it up before you buy.

[edit] Just remembered, when I first heard the songs it reminded me hellishly of Prodigy. It also reminded me that that whore Alan still has my Fat of the Land CD, the bitch). [/edit]

[edit2] and the above sentence is technically correct, it just looks like a dog [/edit]

darknation said:

1 Closer to God About the same quality as the Closer Remixes on disc 1. Slightly different lyrics (wanna fuck you/ wanna taste you/ wanna feel you/ wanna be you etc.) It's OK but nothing new.

I kinda like it, but it's one of those ones that needed a few more weeks of work. And the ending is just god-awful, way to kill an almost decent song. Possibly the best example of why Reznor drives me fucking nuts.

darknation said:

the only song that I 100% like is Heresy and I bet the original is better.

I don't think so. This is a good case of somebody else fixing up Reznor's mistakes in a remix. I think I like the original better in terms of music, but Reznor makes it sound like you're trying to listen to it on a $40 radio with a 6-inch antenna in the basement of an underground bomb shelter. (IOW, the original version is fuzz heaven - might as well listen to TV static.) The remix fixes this problem, although it doesn't seem to know where to go musically.

There goes Lüt again with his hyperbole. :P

Anyway, I have Closer to God, but its on just one disk. Same tracks, different order, one disk. Personaly, I think it is the third most retarded NIN album ever.

Wow - i consider myself a NiN fan, but i don't go chasing after the imports/rare singles. The most we get are the 'remix' albums, ie 'Things Falling Apart', 'Further Down The Spiral', etc.
Btw, which version of 'Closer' has the extra 'fuck me' and 'i want to fuck you...' lyrics in?

We heard it at the Krazyhouse club last nite and have been searching for it on Kazaa for a while.

"Closer to God" (track one of the Closer to God CD, which is the 2nd CD of the UK Closer Set)

Nine inch nails are so fucking annoying with their 20 different versions of the same CD.

Cheers DN - we'll have a root around for it in a bit.
I've been a bit annoyed by the Krazyhouse lately. They play about six songs from each band, but only two from NiN. Plus the DJ there NEVER has the bloody 'Broken' CD... i miss dancing to 'Wish'...

Little Faith said:

I get so happy when I hear that song that I have to bounce around.

Well, imagine about 100 people on a large club floor, bouncing around like sentient pogo sticks as soon as 'Wish' came on... yeah, good innit?

First time i heard that song in the Krazyhouse i was headbanging so hard that when my mate offered me a drink, my head came down on the bottle. Suffice to say, the bottle got smashed and my eyebrow got split open :p