Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Beta BFG 2704 Dehacked enabler

Oh, hello, I was interested in MBF's beta BFG and was searching around the forum/google but didn't find a BEX patch to enable the BFG's beta behaviour.

EDIT:
OK, this is a new upload which has the gfx that Doom Retro needs. I tested this in ZDoom, prboom+, Zandronum, Doom Retro, Eternity.

http://tinyurl.com/hjq7kwe

Older Zandronum versions don't work properly, they waste too much ammo, use the 3.x versions or newer.

If you made this only for convenience and/or easy use, you should have outright embedded it into a wad as well as providing the bex.

Like this: https://www.sendspace.com/file/e5iyrn (this link will probably expire within half a year)

First, it's easier to use by double clicking a .wad file, which many people might have associated with their favorite port, while .bex file might be associated with a DEHACKED editor (that's how I have set it up). Secondly, I think multiplayer launchers can only handle PWADs, not directly .deh or .bex patches.

EDIT:

I've found a problem with Zandronum - each of the shots consumes 40 ammo, which depletes all of your cells quickly. Easily fixed by adding this DEHACKED code to change BFG ammo per shot:

Misc 0
BFG Cells/Shot = 1
Other ports won't be affected by this change (because they always handle the beta-BFG codepointer properly), so it's OK to use. I've updated my link with this change.

I always keep my deh and bex files separate but I can see how the end users should just get one file, it's easier.

Interesting Zandronum fail :-D

Thanks for this, (and the reupload!), but I think I am doing it wrong. I press shoot and my BFG appears and an imp appears in the corner. Using the version of PrBoom+ recommended.

Your default complevel is probably different than a MBF-compatible one. Try launching the game with parameter "-complevel 11".

Just to report all of the download links and mirrors in this thread are long-dead. Did you all forget about /idgames?

Edit: a working patch for zdoom, prboom+ is as follows (crashes doom retro, probably because beta gfx are missing)

Weapon 6 (BFG 9000)
Shooting frame = 1000

Updated the first post with new link which works fine on all ports that support the beta stuff.

In some ports, the beta BFG has autoaim and in others it doesn't, hmmm.