Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Consumed earth: 7 map community project(on IDgames!)

Will you join?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join?

• Yes
    • No

walter confalonieri said:

You know what? I have a half idea for a short map (if a short map it's ok) for this project... It will use D_OPENIN

Wonderful! 5 contributers already!

I hope this fits the bill for what you want. I haven't thought of a name for it yet, I'll come up with something soon. :)

Download

Edit: Btw there are coop starts and some deathmatch starts, and I think there are difficulty settings implemented. I'll have to double check. It only takes me like 4 minutes to get to the exit on a casual play, 6:30 if I go for the optional secret places. If the map is too short I could extend it a bit by adding a new beginning area and teleporting to the current beginning area in the middle of the map.

Your demo desynced for me about halfway through, so I didn't get to see much past the start room.

What was confusing about it? I did put in an exit sign before it. Should it have been closer to the exit switch?

cannonball said:

I might have a crack at something here, you can count me in for D_IN_CIT

Holy-moly-cannonbally! You're so in.

FDA for Respawning Vats. I actually liked it. There was really little health, but it helped more than well in terms of challenge. The architecture was varied and elaborate, lighting work was simple, but present. Visuals looked IWAD-esque while distinct. Several interesting ideas were thrown in (fences, bounded archvile, the green lock signs). Progression was nonlinear and I've enjoyed fighting the monsters, their placement was simple yet sufficient for fun gameplay. Well done.

Just a small tip, if you want to avoid stuck monsters, turn square things on in DB2. It more accurately represents the hitboxes of things.

Here's the finished product:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h10gkgd8b5k1700/hellsK.wad

I fixed many of the texture problems, the stuck monsters, and the ammo and health count. This one also has difficulty levels. I'm keeping the name "Hell's Kitchen".

@joe-ilya. You said one of the Hell Knights were stuck under a hanging body? That's odd because it functioned normally when I tested it(if we're talking about the same one).

Uhm.. what program are you using for testing? Zdoom and related ports maybe? Since on that port been stuck in the dead hanging bodies \ objects doesn't work...

Also, shots from my map:

not really sure about texture choices... is that ok?

walter confalonieri said:

Uhm.. what program are you using for testing? Zdoom and related ports maybe?

I use an old version of GZDoom. When I mean old I mean a version from 2010 at oldest. But I'm not so sure what version it may be.
I use it because it's the only source port I have plus its been working well for me so I'm fine with it. Though, when it comes to ports, you can say I'm quite... uneducated.

If there's any tips or something I need, I'm all ears.

NxGangrel:

GZDoom is a popular source port because it 'fixes' a lot of things that can be considered "errors" in the original games code. Things like being able to walk over or under monsters and objects is a 'feature' added in GZDoom (and other zdoom based source ports) because it didn't seem to make sense in the original Doom game that objects would collide with each other even if they were at two totally different heights.

Many of us (but not all of us) are very loyal to the standards of the original game before GZDoom improved on them. It's not very important to know this if you're a player, but often when mapping for a project that doesn't state that is for zdoom, it is implied to be "vanilla" "limit removing" or "boom compatible." In which case its best to do all your testing in a source port more true to the original Doom such as PrBoom or Chocolate Doom, to make it easier to detect errors that will effect people who play in those source ports.

I hope that helped cleared things up for you, it can be kinda complicated here. Welcome to the mapping club :)

@walter confalonieri : The textures are fine and the layouts look nice, but I dislike the flatness in the upper-right screenshot, you could put a lake or something.

@40oz
That helps a bit. I appreciate it.

I'll find another port to test on, as well as update my map again. I apologize for the inconvenience.

FDA : https://www.mediafire.com/?gdtbz8g3hx4drde

The map was good, not perfect but here are some complaints.

-The AV trap should be fixed(I didn't even activate him in the demo)
-
This revenant and the other one at the very left are useless, you have to pikaboo shoot the one at the left, but the one on the right can't even shoot you.
-
Forced ammo is so uncool.
-
Get rid of drawseg overflows, this is supposed to be a pure vanilla episode, hence this is being a continuation to doom2.

This is going to be MAP02, 40oz's map's going to be MAP03, no more short maps will be accepted(apart from my own MAP01), only medium or long are accepted from now on.

Also : New rule: To make this episode feel like a long journey make exits and starts more compatible to fit other maps starts and finishes in there. (This rule isn't exiting in MAP01's start and MAP10's exit)
New rule 2: MAP10 will be based around a suburbia where you get home.

joe-ilya said:

Also : New rule: To make this episode feel like a long journey make exits and starts more compatible to fit other maps starts and finishes in there. (This rule isn't exiting in MAP01's start and MAP10's exit)
New rule 2: MAP10 will be based around a suburbia where you get home. [/B]

My (embarrassingly buggy) map used teleports for the beginning and exit, is this breaking rule 1? I also wanted to ask you if your episode would have a secret map or not.

When the episode is compiled, I/you will do that. No secret maps, I can't add secret exits as it's only able at MAP15/31.

Looks like you added more than just a map.

Haha. Maybe you take these "general good mapping principles" too literally, joe. Nitpicking a single small shell pickup... A single small shell pickup won't offend actual players, only nitpickers who seek imperfections instead of actually playing, I think.

scifista42 said:

A single small shell pickup won't offend actual players

Keep in mind, this is the 21st century. Every one gets offended by the smallest things. You know what triggering is don't you? O_o