Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Killing floor 2's harsh EULA

So Killing floor 2 just entered early access on steam and I bought it instantly. But then I saw this thing: http://nichegamer.com/2015/04/killing-floor-2-devs-will-ban-your-cd-key-for-cyber-bullying-on-forums/

Ouch, that's a pretty harsh EULA. What do you think? Is this going to far or is this ok? I don't really go to their forums or talk in-game so I don't really care much, but others probably do. Thoughts?

Clonehunter said:

I didn't realize that griefing was considered cyber-bullying

Seems you never happened to be on a server targeted by Myg0t or in a miserable Cilean ZDaemon BFG spammers' fest, then ;-)

Though I have to admit, the line between certain "1337 pr0 c0mp3t1t1v3" practices like "zoning" (aka spamming), "area control" (aka camping) etc. and plain old laming/griefing/trolling can be really thin, and how they will be perceived depends a lot on the id and overall attitude of whoever performs them.

the article said:

[UPDATE]

Tripwire Interactive have clarified their stance on the EULA for Killing Floor 2.

Their justification convinced me that it's alright. They won't abuse the policy, it won't give them any profit anyway. It's meant as a defense against the worst cases of bad scenarios.

Any company that wants to ban morons from inflicting their anti-social "personalities" on genuine gamers is all right in my book. What's the problem here?

MajorRawne said:

Any company that wants to ban morons from inflicting their anti-social "personalities" on genuine gamers is all right in my book. What's the problem here?

The idea that if you say something on a internet forum then the game that you just paid money for can be taken away from you.

Yes. Developers of a multiplayer game expect those players to not be actual scum on more places than just in game, but in public too. It reflects on their game the state of the community that plays it.

If that's a problem with you, then perhaps you're the problem to start with.

hardcore_gamer said:

The idea that if you say something on a internet forum then the game that you just paid money for can be taken away from you.

Don't screw up then

So, reading the EULA bits:

This includes, but not limited to, "griefing", racist bigotry, sexism or any other forms of "cyber bullying"

Oookay? I guess those could be applicable to some extent, but good luck defining what is cyber bullying and what is berating your bad teammate.

We will also not tolerate anyone hosting servers for the game where such behaviors are continually or repeatedly allowed to take place.

What. Are they trying to enforce that on private servers? Host (and possibly server provider) decides what rules are put in the place. Good luck with that.

If we find you are a Cheater or Abusive, we will revoke your CD key and ban you from the KF2 servers and tell your mom!

I really, really doubt they are going enforce that EULA, because it is just so ridiculously worded. They really need to run that through some lawyer, because it is riddled with loopholes that could end up both company and players abusing it.
Thanks for the morning laugh, though.

A developer wants it's game players to stop being whiny cunts? What's the problem here?

I will use an example from my first KF2 match for how this could go wrong. A new round had just started and I was still buying some weapons from the vendor. But before I was done my idiot teammates left and then wielded the door behind them shut (a common defensive tactic in this game) with me on the other side, leaving me with all the monsters. I used the chat menu to call them a bunch of stupid motherfuckers because of it. They knew that I was saying it in a lighthearted sort of way and thus they did not get angry and just opened the door again, but what if they had been a bunch of stupid teens who had gotten pissed and reported me? Would the game have been taken away from me? This is why I don't like these kinds of rules.

I'm an avid Killing Floor player, been one for a long time and I actually am happy to see this. Why? Because if you haven't played the game than you haven't seen some of the incredibly trollish bullshit people like to pull. Weapon hoarding, basically stabbing you in the fucking back in a fire fight by just pussying out and running away leaving you to fend off like 200 Zed's alone, to creating mods that actually can completely break a fun game and such. That shit gets annoying really quick and some of those are also the same reasons I don't play L4D at all anymore.

Now the part of this I don't like is the restrictions on modding when it comes to mods using somewhat derivative stuff from other games. Some of my favorite memories of matches in custom servers were someone randomly spawned in a few of Doom3's Hell knights or an Imp stampede lol. It was hilarious because it made no sense to happen and KF is already a pretty bizarre game to begin with. Hell the Steam Workshop for KF1 contains thousands of weapons mods which are literally just recolored models ported from CS: Source. I don't see why free advertisement should matter so much.

This isn't the first Tripwire game with such a policy. They have rightfully banned people in the past and only done so in extreme cases as well. So I'm 100% fine with this.

Some asshat was running around on Red Orchestra 2 with a hack that would crashed servers almost instantly. Once Tripwire tracked him down and had enough evidence to bury him, they revoked his rights to his game key. That is an example of the kind of situation where Tripwire is going to revoke the rights to your game key. Honestly hardcore, you are worrying way to much about this.

flubbernugget said:

With the exception of fulgrim's example isn't this something server admins should be handling?

One would like to think getting banned from a hand full of servers for things like bigotry would cause someone to pull their head out of their ass. But the simple truth is, for some people, they simply never learn.

Tripwire isn't going to start revoking game keys for a first offense in most cases. If lets say someone has been banned from several servers and Tripwire is able to pull evidence that clearly shows a pattern of negative behavior, the person in question is going to get warned and loose their game key if the behavior continues.

In a perfect world parents would be monitoring what their kid is doing on the Internet and dealing out punishment when need be. Also in a perfect world, every adult would conduct themselves as such. But, as we all know, this isn't a perfect world.