Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romero

More goodies from Romero (DoomEd source, maps, graphics)

Now you really made us your bitches :-)

Graf Zahl said:

You should be able to convert them to proper maps by running them through IDBSP which you can find on /idgames.

Thanks for the tip, though I can't get IDBSP to work. All it spits out are 1kb WAD files with nothing in them.

[EDIT] Kinsie helped me out over Steamchat; long story short, you need to use the v1.0 version of idbsp and add a "level" directive (e.g. "level:E1M1") to the second line of the .dwd in order to get it to compile. But yep, it works. :P

Proof: "E5M1" shots:

There wasn't a water-based Chasm building for Sandy to plaster that texture onto. Its omission makes perfect sense!

great waterfall :D also found all eight directions of the computer console tile, haha

Xaser said:

[EDIT] Kinsie helped me out over Steamchat; long story short, you need to use the v1.0 version of idbsp and add a "level" directive (e.g. "level:E1M1") to the second line of the .dwd in order to get it to compile. But yep, it works. :P

Proof: "E5M1" shots:

Welp. I smell a community project coming.

Would be cool if there was a release for cut development stuff for Quake 1 but that would be asking for too much.

Graf Zahl said:

One question: What graphics tool can still open those .lbm files? Nothing I tried so far worked. :(

SLADE 3 can see them but I don't remember if I've uploaded a build with built-in support for them yet.

If not, it can see them anyway (FreeImage handles lbm files) but it doesn't know about it. You have to trick it by making it believe that they're another format FreeImage handles directly (so, not a game format and not PNG), such as tga. Selecting them and then typing into the console something like "type img_tga force" should do the trick.

Romero said:

Sorry it took me forever to find this thread!

You want the source to DoomEd for NEXTSTEP?

Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rphr5ty6k7r3r6/DoomEd.zip?dl=0

Romero said:

Oh, you want more???

How about the map sources and their backups to.....

Original DOOM

The Ultimate DOOM

DOOM II

...and code for a DOOM PRINT tool we wrote.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u0ezmvn87tcxqb/doom-maps.zip?dl=0

Romero said:

Awesome, this is a really nice surprise. Thanks! :)

Awesome! Somebody should change the thread title, really. (to make an announcement) EDIT: I've noticed it's in DW News now, but anyway.

I would like to point out that 95% of the content of each zip keeps the original date where they were last modified, which means that one could easily recreate the timeline where each graphic or level was made, at some extent.

Whoaaaaa!!! Look how appreciative everyone is all of a sudden after you guys spat in JRs face by voting e2m2 as Dooms best map!

Haha this is all super cool :)

Amazing stuff. It's nice to have that excited feeling that there are still undiscovered treasures for Doom.

Wow, so much lost content. Thank you for sharing those, I'm sure everyone here is very excited to see cut materials from the game.

Romero said:

Oh, you want more???

We always want more. I doubt there is any tidbit too trivial for our interest.

Does this mean we get to see the original Dead Simple before it was "prettied-up"?

Irfanview can open, view and mass convert .lbm files, but it may require a plugin. In any case, it seems most of the good stuff has already been found and converted. :p

What could go easily overlooked in the frenzy over unused levels and textures is that according to the diff posted here, there were two unused switch definitions. By which I mean they're not even programmed into either game.

Everybody, meet SW#GSTBL and SW#ICK1:

EDIT:
Animated versions, because why not:

I actually really like this version of The Catacombs ( or at least the map that occupies its slot ) and the concept behind Dead Simple. Think I'll remake this version of Dead Simple, see how that turns out.

Now I'd really like to see a similar content dump done for Heretic and Hexen. (For Strife would be good as well, but probably impossible.)

Oh my god this is amazing. Romero you are the freaking best, thanks so much for being so loyal to your fans & giving us all this awesome old Doom stuff.

Romero said:

Sorry it took me forever to find this thread!

You want the source to DoomEd for NEXTSTEP?

Here you go.

So, all apologies to Romero, he gave me the DoomEd sources about a year ago and I promised him an OS X port of it but haven't delivered.

My work so far is here.