Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romero

More goodies from Romero (DoomEd source, maps, graphics)

Well, so now in theory we have DoomEd. The question is, once it's up and running, will anyone seriously use it? By performing in several weeks (at best) what Doombuilder can achieve in a few days/hours?

Maes said:

Well, so now in theory we have DoomEd. The question is, once it's up and running, will anyone seriously use it? By performing in several weeks (at best) what Doombuilder can achieve in a few days/hours?

Actually, one of the reasons for wanting to get this up and running again is that it works very differently to fan-made Doom editors. Properties are applied to sectors and lines in DoomEd using something akin to a flood-fill algorithm. So in theory this could even be far more efficient to use than Doombuilder is.

Basically don't knock DoomEd, it may be far more awesome than you imagine :)

EDIT: doom2maps/ has levels up to MAP36, and DoomMapSE/ has an E5M1. So that's interesting ...

EDIT 2: Anyone noticed the beta version of Ultimate Doom's doom.exe with the "Doom Special Edition" banner at the startup screen?

EDIT 3: Here's map01.ps (presumably output from doomprint) converted to PDF format.

I suppose it could make a great model for future map editors or updates to existing editors.

fraggle said:

Basically don't knock DoomEd, it may be far more awesome than you imagine :)

Perhaps in the same way that vi is more awesome than Word ;-)

If it really has such a cool flood-fill algorithm built-in though, it might indeed be something refreshing, sharing some elements with various more esoteric "procedural" WAD generating tools like WadC. But then again, how long until DB2 copies it?

Maes said:

Perhaps in the same way that vi is more awesome than Word ;-)

If it really has such a cool flood-fill algorithm built-in though, it might indeed be something refreshing, sharing some elements with various more esoteric "procedural" WAD generating tools like WadC. But then again, how long until DB2 copies it?

to be honest, romero's "flood fill" and "line only" method would help people like me in making maps. I hate the current way of having to juggle which sector is near each line, but with flood filling, all that goes away. I can draw my lines, then paint in my sectors, then throw on textures. how simple can it get?

Xaser said:

For more fun curiosity, Kinsie has been compiling the maps and writing down the notable stuff (with screenshots as appropriate):

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1148345&p=47574442#post47574442

Haven't finished playing through the wads linked in his second post there, but they're really interesting, everyone should check them out.

MAP07 is something else entirely, MAP06 has familiar bits with a completely unrecognizable start, MAP02 and 03 have tougher enemies, MAP03 has a completely different texture theme, MAP13 has some cool docks in the back.

Note that the sergeant is NOT stuck in the wall next to the barrel in early-MAP02. This supports my theory that it was intentional.

This is a pleasant surprise! The first wave of unreleased Doom stuff from a while back was really neat, and its great to see even more!

Thanks for being awesome John! :D

Linguica said:

Note that the sergeant is NOT stuck in the wall next to the barrel in early-MAP02. This supports my theory that it was intentional.

http://i.imgur.com/9KUbbgPh.png

In the Courtyard, the see-through wall that's missing a texture has its texture. Did they intentionally remove it? :p

I was hoping to find some new black TEKWALL fragments, but no luck. Nevertheless, I found some interesting things, some of them I actually needed.

Thanks a lot!

Linguica said:

https://tcrf.net/Doom_II:_Hell_on_Earth_(PC)/Revisional_Differences#Level_2:_Underhalls

The Cutting Room Floor says:
Like Level 1, the entire map was shifted southwest to be closer to the 0, 0 coordinate in v1.8. And once again, some flats became unaligned, the most obvious being the secret teleporter. This was fixed in 1.9.

Things were shifted too, with hilarious results as several enemies ended up stuck in the walls. These were also mostly corrected for v1.9, with the exception of a single shotgun guy who is still stuck in a barrel near the blue key.

Linguica said:

He wasn't stuck in v1.666 either. That only happened after they moved the map around for whatever reason.

Jaws in Space beat me to it.

Gez said:

In the Courtyard, the see-through wall that's missing a texture has its texture. Did they intentionally remove it? :p

Missing linedef ;)

So I wrote a quick Python script that converts from .dwd to .udmf. Unfortunately I don't have anything that can do anything with .udmf, but maybe someone could look at the converted maps and post some screenshots.

Also let me know if the converter is completely broken / buggy, which it probably is.

I'm particularly curious what these look like.

I wish more game devs were as forthcoming with this type of "making of" material as id and Romero in particular have been. It's always interesting to see.

fraggle said:

EDIT 3: Here's map01.ps (presumably output from doomprint) converted to PDF format.

That's clearly the tool they used to give Prima maps for the official strategy guide:

fraggle said:

Also let me know if the converter is completely broken / buggy, which it probably is.

It looks like you're converting mid textures to lower and vice-versa. Otherwise it seems to be converting properly. E1M1 is the v1.2+ version, pre-Ultimate, with the secret lift by the shotgun.

ShawnMap is a spiral staircase, Shawn2 is one of the dropped alpha maps.

Dragonsbrethren said:

It looks like you're converting mid textures to lower and vice-versa.

Fixed. Thanks.

I guessed at the meaning of a lot of these fields. The x/y offsets might be completely wrong so if you see some screwed up offsets it might just be my fault.

EDIT: Checked against the doombsp code, it should all be correct now.