Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romero

More goodies from Romero (DoomEd source, maps, graphics)

After looking at the ''compiled'' results of the DoomSE and Doom folders it made me conclude that i played to much of doom 2 and not enough doom to even notice anything at all...

-> DoomSE (ultimate doom)
It already seems to contain the censored nazi-cross (manji, swastika) elevator, and at first sight i cant notice any difference in the maps i played (up to now), but there could be small differences or changes in maps i haven't played yet.

-> The doom maps folder
i am still at doubt here. Most map sources have backup files with severely differing access times so it would be really odd if there where no differences at all. Although there might be less monsters on UV ???

Those are 'the' iwad levels with minor differences, which makes me doubt if i should upload the wads... and nobody else seems to have done it either.

Well, someone uploaded the compiled Doom II maps (and I don't mean the Beta ones), so I Think it should be safe to do so.

Doom maps compiled from the 'main' dwd files in mr. romero his file dump ;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu01eagkxmbzwef/DoomMaps01.wad?dl=0

Doom SE maps compiled from the 'main' dwd files in mr. romero his file dump ;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j562dn8rammyaj6/DoomSE01.wad?dl=0

The wads only contain MAP data. To play them you need doom. They have the number 01 appended to them as there are enough files to compile multiple versions of those wads.

- Can not be played without doom and its iwad
- Uploaded to help those without idbsp or time.
- mr. Romero gave them away, so it cant be that bad to upload it right ?

neozeed said:

Not that I'm going to cry, but yeah it's the 1.2 BINARY.....

If you want to re-live the NeXT excitement, there is Previous, a pretty amazing NeXT emulator! It can do the 030 and 040 cubes, some of the NeXTStation hardware etc. It's pretty awesome.

Yeah, I know, but there's not much I can do about that. That's the only version they released for NeXTSTEP. id really prioritized updates for DOS, but NeXTSTEP was the red-headed stepchild locked away in the attic... probably not even .1% of their market.

Honestly, it doesn't really play that well on NeXTSTEP anyways. The mouse doesn't do what you expect it to coming from the DOS version. The mouse always interacts with the OS, not the window, so mouse-turning is not even there. You're relegated to keyboard controls. When I first tried it upon gettng my NeXT system, I was brimming with excitement to play the original native version of Doom. It was a pretty big letdown.

But! If you want to do work with DoomEd and test in the actual environment, it'd probably be ok for that.

Incidentally, thanks for that emulator. I've always loved the NeXT interface, so I'll definitely be checking that out.

Another pic here

For all those guys providing graphics, the community is silently screaming thank you! This is some illuminating content..

Something I'd like Mr. Romero to disclose, if that info is still available: is/was there any specific VGA/SVGA card which was capable of functioning with the 0.4 Alpha's HiColor mode without crashing?

Doom 1 - Shawnmap
https://www.dropbox.com/s/30bd35vodsttnm9/D1-SHAWNMAP.WAD?dl=0

ShawnMap ; has untextured hallways, and shawn textured hallways... and monsters.

Doom 1 - shawn2.wad
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fupc528f3zw3cd/D1-SHAWN2.WAD?dl=0

Shawn2 ; I only checked if the player spawned, to then see an untextured wall.

FireFish said:

Doom maps compiled from the 'main' dwd files in mr. romero his file dump ;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu01eagkxmbzwef/DoomMaps01.wad?dl=0

Doom SE maps compiled from the 'main' dwd files in mr. romero his file dump ;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j562dn8rammyaj6/DoomSE01.wad?dl=0

The wads only contain MAP data. To play them you need doom. They have the number 01 appended to them as there are enough files to compile multiple versions of those wads.

- Can not be played without doom and its iwad
- Uploaded to help those without idbsp or time.
- mr. Romero gave them away, so it cant be that bad to upload it right ?

Apologies for the bump, but was anyone able to find the sounds that Urban Space Cowboy was looking for? I'm also looking for them.

Sorry for double bumping, but the bossit sounds can be downloaded again, at least I was able to. I'll attach them here for preservation, in case anyone is interested

bossit.zip

Hey guys, sorry for the extreme bump here, but does anyone have a full, compiled pack of ALL the Alpha/Beta/Doom1/Doom2 stuff Romero released? Most of the links in this thread work, but a lot are broken too and I can't help but think I'm missing stuff..

Having it all in one easy-to-download pack would be great and I'd be happy to make it but I want to be sure I'm not leaving anything out.

Getting all of these is almost like finding a secret episode you never knew existed. It's Doom as it was being built! Thanks, John - this is fantastic!

this is so awesome! Did not know it existed and just found it a week ago. Of course I downloaded it and played through the doom2 levels with the beta 1.5 for the full beta feeling! made a video so everybody who does not want to set up can see all the differences in a 3 hour video:

On 4/23/2015 at 3:43 AM, fraggle said:

Dear lazy Doomworld: anyone have any ideas about where cygnus.lbm comes from?

gegVDVy.png

Heavy metal album cover? D&D manual? Looks a bit like the Doom big box cover.

TinEye and Google Image search give nothing.

Sorry for bumping this thread. Raptor lead dev recently went through raptor art files livestream and overpainted versions of this picture was there.