Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

Zauberer

Yes, I Think so too. I'll have to Think about what monsters to replace with them, and start implementing sprites.

I have a Quick question: Is it possible to spawn a specific monster in ZDoom? If so, how do I do it?
Edit: I Think I figured it out. Summon (monstername). Obviously I'm doing something wrong though, the monsters turn up invisible.
Edit 2: Nevermind, I had forgotten to convert the sprites to correct fromat.

I've added the skeletons and can confirm that they work successfully. I've also changed the palette to Hexen's again for the moment. The current IWAD has one working weapon and two monsters now. I'll have to work on implementing more sprites, most of the existing ones are placeholders at the moment.
Edit: I've also removed the blasphemer Resources now, since we agreed on that the games shouldn't share them, and we're going to use a different license for Zauberer anyway.
Edit 2: New very WIP version upped on GitHub. Write in console:
give jadewand
summon demon
summon baronofhell
Also map map01 since the menusystem is gone

im trying to get the freedoom caco done right now, after that ill try to put a player sprite together, if its okay, feel free to suggest ideas for how it should be

Thanks a lot! I'll let you decide whether you want to do the fighter, cleric or mage replacement.

I'm happy to see there is a project similar to Freedoom and Blasphemer, but this time inspired by Hexen.

I may consider to map for this project, but maybe it is in an early stage and don't need maps at the moment.

In addition, Hexen was hub based, so I suppose that Zauberer will be done in the same way. This will require more attention to level design and gameplay implementation, right?

Thanks! Yup, it's still in early stage, but I see no reason why maps wouldn't be needed though, I would be happy if you would like to map for it! Thanks for bringing up the question about the hub system. What would you people prefer the most? Hub based maps, like Hexen or more like Doom or Heretic?

Yes, I Think so too. Also, the current maps in the IWAD are just Oblige placeholder, just to clarify.

raymoohawk said:

i think we should take advantage of all hexen has to offer, and that includes hubs

I agree... but we have to admit that it will require a lot of attention in the level design: style consistency within the same hub can be easily managed (more or less like the typical style in a Doom or Heretic episode) but puzzles scattered among levels can be very difficult to realize and fix, when levels are created by various authors.

Also, what source port should we aim for? Vanilla Hexen, limit removing or something else? The most ideal would be not going for a non-free licensed port, right?
What would be the best idea to go about the IWAD Creation, create a complete placeholder IWAD first, or fill in the IWAD with real Resources as time goes?
What we currently have in the WAD is a Hexen Playpal, Oblige maps, the Jade Wand, the skeletons, and also some unused sprites at the moment. We should ideally have unique maps, but to save time, could the Oblige maps possibly be used as base to build upon? Or inspiration? Should we keep the Jade Wand or is it too Close to Hexens sapphire wand? Should the skeletons be left in the long run? Sorry for so many questions :P

raymoohawk said:

methinks vanilla, since it could be used in more source ports

Eventually limits removing, as most 99% ports are limits removing.

Regarding the hub/puzzles design, it would be interesting to know how Raven Software did it, that is how level design, hub consistency, puzzles were harmonized among the designers.

I Think we should try and flesh out a working placeholder IWAD and then replace the placeholders with real content with time. Do you agree?

raymoohawk said:

methinks vanilla, since it could be used in more source ports

Going limit removing would only exclude a single source port, Chocolate Hexen, as that's the only non-limit removing port with Hexen support.

Guest Unregistered account

Hey! I just finished some concept art for a new enemy, take a look!

(linked because I'm using a phone and can't resize)

I think it would be a neat replacement for the Wendigo, because imagine if we made desert + tomb levels! We should still have ice levels, too, of course... but still!

The only problem I can think of with this guy is that it would conflict with the themes of levels that use ice AND Wendigos.

I wouldn't be able to sprite it, so maybe Raymoohawk could? What does everyone think?

Spoiler

Facts (in case you can't tell from the image)
-He's actually wearing metal gauntlets.
-I gave him glowing eyes. I think this makes him keep a small part of the Wendigo's feel.
-I have no idea what colour the fire should be.

If Zauberer is going to be a replacement like Freedoom, that is to allow people to play hexen pwads, maybe it is better to leave the same theme wendigo => ice and so on.

But the monster looks cool. Maybe a replacement for something else?

Joe667 said:

Hey! I just finished some concept art for a new enemy, take a look!

(linked because I'm using a phone and can't resize)

I think it would be a neat replacement for the Wendigo, because imagine if we made desert + tomb levels! We should still have ice levels, too, of course... but still!

The only problem I can think of with this guy is that it would conflict with the themes of levels that use ice AND Wendigos.

I wouldn't be able to sprite it, so maybe Raymoohawk could? What does everyone think?

Spoiler

Facts (in case you can't tell from the image)
-He's actually wearing metal gauntlets.
-I gave him glowing eyes. I think this makes him keep a small part of the Wendigo's feel.
-I have no idea what colour the fire should be.

that dude make me think in a mummy fredoom marine.

i like it, and spriting an ice mummy seems like a fun chalenge, however i would like to see more of the overarching theme develop before i start the serious spriting

Did some sprite Changes on Zauberer, also tried to implement the giant Lizard as the ettin replacement, looks a bit weird right now because it's missing many frames. Also, it's bigger than the ettin.

So I'll say I'm curious about this, what's the general theme of this project? Would I be wrong to assume it's Fantasy like the original Hexen? I saw you expressing interest in attaining a concept designer, do you think I could be of assistance?