Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

Zauberer

"Anthro cat" isn't the most original concept in the world. Though it would be best to steer clear of anything too similar in name or costuming.

Kherjit was only meant as a placeholder name. And I only intended for the Khajiit concept to be seen as inspiration only, not that we should have Khajiit's in Zauberer. I don't Think having anthro cats would be a problem. I Think they should be more egyptian styled to better fit the theme anyway.

Another concept for inspiration:

[img]http://api.ning.com/files/Xl3n4nptF*rV0VeTwFHB5nC0cTPoKL0hrxuyGk7BjdWIiDeiO9fWjDkCGqjo4K2HlNccRN*3EDBiXdYJKQvw8L3r-5RiBBlX/sekhmet_lioness_mask_by_senorwongd4h3qdk.jpg[/img]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/BLANK.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/PICUP5.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/PUNCHMIS.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/WIND3.wav

Did a few minor sound effects. Sad thing that the punch sound came out sounding a bit like a dog's bark. They're in unsigned 8-bit PCM and ready to be converted to Doom Format.

More ideas and concepts:

Concept for The Empire's banner. Similar style as this:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/f/f8/Lordaeron's_coat_of_arms.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080426215022

Darkred background with two crossed swords and something similar to the concept Picture I posted Before in the middle.

Achievement idies

”One before whom evil trembles” fear 1000 enemies
”Slayer” kill 1000 enemies
”Power of the sun” kill 100 enemies using the Sun disk
”Army of the dead” resurrect 50 allies using the Resurrection scroll
”Lady of Slaughter” as cleric kill 10 000 enemies

Game concepts
Mob concepts

Imperial (good faction) mobs
Kherjit warrior basic mob, armed with a sword, low hp and damage
Berserker armed with a two-handed sword, low hp, high damage
Defender sword and shield, high hp and low damage
Honor guard rare mob, two-handed axe, high hp and damage
Lancer warrior riding a lion, charge attack, high damage
Commander miniboss, sword, high hp and damage
K`Sharra the Conqueror boss, sword, high hp and damage

Order of the Great Flame (good faction) mobs (all primely ranged mobs)

Acolyte basic mob, no melee, weak ranged attack, low hp
Priestess weak melee, strong ranged attack, low hp
High priestess rare mob, uses a sword in melee, strong ranged, high hp
Satsekhem boss, , uses a sword in melee, strong ranged, high hp

Legion of the Chaos Serpent (evil faction) mobs
Skeleton basic mob, sword, low hp and damage
Skeleton defender sword and shield, high hp and low damage
Chaos priest ranged mob
Spawn of Apep rare mob, snakelike demon, ranged, high hp and damage
Gatekeeper unique boss, see earlier concept
Mummy basic mob
Sphinx rare mob, charge attack, high damage
Weapons and items

Two-handed axe slow attack, high damage, warrior
Spear ranged, warrior
Purging flame flaming khopesh sword, extra fire damage and life steal, warrior and cleric
Flamethrower spell cleric
Scepter of Was staff, shoots fireballs, cleric
Sun disk ultimate, cleric
Steampink blasterrifle ultimate, warrior

Items

Mighty roar scares enemies, warrior and cleric
Flame cloak damage enemies in melee-range, cleric
Courage buff allied mobs attack, all classes
Bloodlust simular to the beserk powerup in ”Brutal doom”, warrior and cleric

Level-names

Final hub The Underworld (basicly Hell)

Sublevels
Pits of Fire
The Dark Fortress
Halls of agany
The Serpent spire

A new WAD has been uploaded to GitHub with the latest submissions added.

Hi!

The graphics from this thread are now mirrored at https://github.com/saniv/free-game-art/tree/master/frontview/Zauberer

I have also recolored the horned skull by Ravenmore (http://opengameart.org/content/fantasy-ui-elements-by-ravenmore) into Hexen's palette:
github.com/saniv/free-game-art/blob/master/ui/widgets/ui02-horned-skull.png

Hope it would come handy in replacing the skull on the Hexen's panel.

Good luck with the project! It would be cool to play both original Hexen, as well as the new maps with new graphics.

Thanks! I added the skull to the status bar, it will be included in the next release that I am working on. I will probably resize it to look better, and the rest of the status bar has to be created, but it is a good start! Other changes which I will work on for the next release includes adding the Zauberer logo as the title picture, more sprites and wall textures.

Cire said:

Thanks! I added the skull to the status bar, it will be included in the next release that I am working on. I will probably resize it to look better, and the rest of the status bar has to be created, but it is a good start! Other changes which I will work on for the next release includes adding the Zauberer logo as the title picture, more sprites and wall textures.

Just don't forget that it has CC-BY license, so you have to credit Ravenmore as an artist somewhere. Preferably in game's credits.

Began work on a credits file, currently with Ravenmore as artist. Also uploaded a new update with more/better graphics placeholders.

Wraith from manaworld could serve as a replacement for spirit/ghost coming out of clerics cross:
github.com/saniv/free-game-art/blob/master/topdown/mana-world/graphics/sprites/monsters/wraith.png

Added the spirit replacement. Needs improvement though, I will work on making it look better.

we are trying to create new assets from scratch for this project. it makes the project go slowly, but it will be worth it in the long run, since it will increase the resource pool for people seeking to use the doom engine for new game development

Updated Zauberer WAD again. See the chagelogs at GitHub eg. made improvements on the skies and tried to implement weather effects like Lightning and scrolling sky, fog etc. in the early maps and fixing a few bugs. Please give comments on it, mention if anything doesn't work as intended etc. Would be really nice if someone could do a test/showcase map, perhaps based on some of the existing maps in the WAD or something using the Resources that's available in the WAD right now. In the meantime I'll try to learn working with Doom Builder to see if I can improve the maps. I also have problems when I try to make a STARTUP replacement. Would be good if someone can explain how to convert it to Planar format.

Maps should be interesting. How does the Hexen's "hub" system work?

IIRC, Hexen also supports multi-floor maps (i.e. real 3d world representation). Although I've node idea how it is done and how object movement is handled between levels.

Hexen also adds scripting to the Doom engine. That allows more map designing freedoom.

Nikita_Sadkov said:

IIRC, Hexen also supports multi-floor maps (i.e. real 3d world representation).

The original Hexen did not have any multi-floor capability, except for magic 3d bridges... which have nothing to do with the zdoom 3d bridges.

@Angry Saint: That's what I thought too, thanks for clarifying!

Angry Saint said:

The original Hexen did not have any multi-floor capability, except for magic 3d bridges... which have nothing to do with the zdoom 3d bridges.

I've googled it out of curiosity, getting back to the doomworld.com:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/54145-multiple-floors/

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Room-over-room said:

Room-over-room designates methods allowing to transcend Doom's 2.5D engine. The effect can be faked in the normal Doom rendering engine through various tricks (such as moving sectors, as in Industrial Zone's south-east building, self-referencing sectors, etc.) or through source port features, notably 3D middle textures, 3D floors and portals; with only the latter two offering a fully convincing effect.

so basically it is possible with unmodded Doom Engine and therefore Hexen.

I'm also looking for someone who can make user interface graphics (like fonts, status bar, etc.) from scratch for the project.
@Nikita: Yup, fake-Room-over-Room should be possible.
EDIT: Is it possible to have items with cooldown before it's possible to use them again?
I was also thinking that one of the characters could be evil, and the other two good, story-wise, and that the maps have different monster placement according to which character the player is playing as.
I'd like someone to modify the Viking skeleton that is in the WAD to look like the themed skeletons in the last picture on page three and I'd also like some kind of mummy. I'd like the fighter's first melee attack to be a claw animation instead of a normal punch.
Is it possible to have upgradable weapons?

another player concept, for the cleric replacement, doesnt look like a priestess, but neither does the original guy

I believe a Jinni would go naturally as a replacement for minotaur, especially with egyptian lamp inventory item. Although some bastet cat-girl or anubis can be used too.

A concept for egyptian theme skeleton (undead anubis):

im already designing a replacement for the malotaur, i just havent figured out the pallete yet

besides it would be strange for a genie to not be able to fly (ill probably tweak my design to make more sense with the summoning mechanic)

the egytian theme, will only apply to some of the enemies (kind of how in quake the medieval theme only partially applied)