Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noshutdown

id Anthology finaldoom executable

according to doomwiki(which also quoted some threads on this forum but i am just too lazy to link), the id Anthology contains an updated version of doom2.exe for finaldoom. its the same 722629 bytes long as the original finaldoom, but with a few bugs fixed:

crashes looking for the fourth demo
teleporters destination height
sky textures not changing between maps
and probably other unknown changes.

so does it mean that demos recorded with this exe would be incompatible with prboom's complevel4? and would it be compatible with complevel3 instead? if neither works, would there be a complevel for this version of finaldoom(despite being rare)?

noshutdown said:

so does it mean that demos recorded with this exe would be incompatible with prboom's complevel4?

Yes.

noshutdown said:

and would it be compatible with complevel3 instead?

No.

noshutdown said:

if neither works, would there be a complevel for this version of finaldoom(despite being rare)?

Nope. Chocolate Doom emulates this version (with the "-gameversion final2" parameter), but I don't think any other source port has bothered.

Was Doom95 never considered a valid option for demo recording then? It never had the teleport bug, iIrc, so I'd assume that there was a complevel all along.

Doom95 was based on vanilla 1.8 with its own patch to support Ultimate Doom's fourth episode. It's not supposed to be compatible with any of the vanilla versions, and neither does PrBoom have any complevels for it.

chungy said:

It's not supposed to be compatible with any of the vanilla versions, and neither does PrBoom have any complevels for it.

I don't know what you base these claims upon but they are patently incorrect. Doom95 differs very little from the Ultimate DOOM exec as far as compatibility goes. The only notable difference is that, like Chocolate DOOM, Doom95 silently bombs out when Medusa comes into view, although Choco appears to be more tolerant and doesn't crash in all cases.

Prb+ accomodates Doom95 with "-complevel 3". From usage.txt:

3	ultdoom_compatibility		 Emulates Ultimate Doom v1.9 and Doom95
It doesn't attempt to emulate Doom95's squashed aspect ratio, slowed-down SFX and the like because they don't fall under demo compatibility, which is Prboom-plus' raison-d'ĂȘtre. It could not emulate Doom95's Medusa behavior even if it was the goal because Doom95 produces no demo when it crashes. Other than that, there are dozens of Doom95 demos, mostly by Maikl, on DSDA that Prb+ plays back and not one that it has problems with. That's AFAIK, of course, if you know of any problem Doom95 demos for D1 please share your knowledge.

Prboom-plus' Doom95 emulation is not limited to accomodating it with "-complevel 3". There's even a cmd-line switch -doom95 dedicated to it:

entryway said:
Also because of lack of doom95 level of compatibility PrBoom-Plus has "-doom95" command line switch for correct emulation/detection of stack overflow in P_FindNextHighestFloor, because doom95 raises MAX_ADJOINING_SECTORS limit from 20 to 500. (SVN description says this emulation is needed for napalm.wad by Eternal)

What exactly does make the Anthology executable of Final Doom incompatible to the Ultimate Doom executable? As far as I know, it is only the addition of map names and intermission texts which make them different.
Or does Ultimate Doom compatibility mode in ports also affect intermission texts, just like it would if you rename the IWAD to DOOM2.WAD and run it with DOOM.EXE? That could screw the timing, I suppose.

The Final Doom exe from the id Anthology doesn't have any demo incompatibilities with the Ultimate Doom exe. It's just a version of the Final Doom exe that fixes the teleport destination height so it makes demos compatible. Aside from that, if you run it with the Ultimate Doom's IWAD, it won't play DEMO4, so it's an executable that was only intended to be used with Final Doom.