Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 1500. 34 maps! Playtesting and stuff this month!

So whats it gonna be?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. So whats it gonna be?

• Gothic texture pack
    • NMN texture pack (1 or 2...its a mystery!)
    • UAC ultra texture pack

Urthar said:

May15_Ch2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2uy2whq2rsildp9

Definitely looks and plays like a doom level, but it really needs some heavier weapons and more resources a lot earlier for my tastes. Then again, I might simply need to try it on a lower difficulty setting.

Thanks for playing the level and providing some feedback! Is it the ammo and health, that you feel are lacking in the beginning? The SS can be picked relatively early and you already have the chaingun. What if I provide some more ammo with the chaingun? That should make it a bit easier to get the SS.

Maybe I could answer some of my own questions if I could load your demo. But I can't :( I try to load it using prboom+ 2.5.13 with -complevel 9. But nothing happens. zdoom can't read the file. Any advice? :)

Chris Hansen said:

Thanks for playing the level and providing some feedback! Is it the ammo and health, that you feel are lacking in the beginning? The SS can be picked relatively early and you already have the chaingun. What if I provide some more ammo with the chaingun? That should make it a bit easier to get the SS.

Maybe I could answer some of my own questions if I could load your demo. But I can't :( I try to load it using prboom+ 2.5.13 with -complevel 9. But nothing happens. zdoom can't read the file. Any advice? :)

I'm a pretty average player at best, and sometimes impatient, so I tend to prefer having the tools to take down mid to high tier monsters before I have to fight them. I sense you intend for the player to dodge past a lot of the inital monsters to get to the better weapons, which would work better if those objectives were visible from an early position.

There's a viewpoint just before the first cacodemons appear, that over looks a large area. I'd personally place the SSG somewhere very prominent in that area, perhaps on the bridge that leads to the two teleports. Throwing more chaingun ammo at the player early on wouldn't hurt either.

I just checked my demo, and it seems to play back just fine. Do you have GOTHMASH.WAD and DOOM2.WAD in your PrBoom directory? To play back I just dragged the lmp file on top of the prboom-plus.exe application.

Obsidian said:

Could you make one called Look to La Luna? :P

Its possible, but there is a 1 map limit, unfortunately.

There is no one map limit, or did I miss it? Past MAYHEMs had multiple maps by same authors.

Allright here's my map: Bond of Blood

Music: Give in with Pleasure by Mark Klem

Tested with prboom+, complevel 9.

Later I will play some of the other maps.

Edit: fixed a couple of things on the map, download it again if you have done it before my edit.

Urthar said:

I'm a pretty average player at best, and sometimes impatient, so I tend to prefer having the tools to take down mid to high tier monsters before I have to fight them. I sense you intend for the player to dodge past a lot of the inital monsters to get to the better weapons, which would work better if those objectives were visible from an early position.

There's a viewpoint just before the first cacodemons appear, that over looks a large area. I'd personally place the SSG somewhere very prominent in that area, perhaps on the bridge that leads to the two teleports. Throwing more chaingun ammo at the player early on wouldn't hurt either.

I just checked my demo, and it seems to play back just fine. Do you have GOTHMASH.WAD and DOOM2.WAD in your PrBoom directory? To play back I just dragged the lmp file on top of the prboom-plus.exe application.

Average player or not, I can still see what you mean and I will definitely take a look at it.

I had forgotten to add the texture pack... d'oh! But alas, it didn't help. It looks like everything loads just fine, but the demo doesn't play. I'll keep trying! :)

I_InitScreenResolution: Using resolution 1920x1080
 found D:\Doom\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/prboom-plus.wad
 found D:\Doom\Levels\Ufærdige\may15_ch2.wad
 found D:\Doom\Ressourcer\Textures\GOTHMASH.WAD
Playing demo may15_ch2_urthr_comp9.lmp
 found D:\Doom\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/doom2.wad
D_InitNetGame: Checking for network game.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding D:\Doom\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/doom2.wad
 adding D:\Doom\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/prboom-plus.wad
 adding D:\Doom\Levels\Ufærdige\may15_ch2.wad
 adding D:\Doom\Ressourcer\Textures\GOTHMASH.WAD
W_InitCache
I dunno man... it's hard getting old! :D

I played some maps:

-Venom Canyon: very fun map, it seems complicated at first but it turns out to be easy to navigate.

-Sleep with the Fishes: cool theme, I like how you managed to re-use the same place without making the fights too similar. I think using some more wood would improve the visuals.

-Mayhem AB: very fun and challening, died 3 times on UV. Thought I think I had luck because I always took the "easiest" roads at the start.

-No Mayhem: cool map! I really liked the clean style.

-Still more Mayhem: very fun, getting the powerups behind the Spiderdemon was tricky. I really loved how used such perfect shapes, and bonus points for the music!

-May15_Ch2: the map is very good. Maybe highlight just a little where are the weapons. Until I got the SSG I had to run from the monsters and let them infight, thought it was pretty cool.

-Isle of Descendents: seems ok I guess. Pretty easy but fun. That midi isn't very fitting, though I think that a rock midi here helps to give a more deep-90's vibe.

-You Are Worshiping A Sun God: nice map and cool progression! I liked how it starts very atmospheric and eerie and than it gets more intense.

scifista42 said:

There is no one map limit, or did I miss it? Past MAYHEMs had multiple maps by same authors.

There's no map submission limitation on OP, i think Inkie mistaken this with Doomworld Community Project?

A few more maps...

Tech Center: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ce50ad2xc51gbpe

I had to rename the WAD to TechCenter.wad to get my demo recording command line to work properly. (It doesn't like files with spaces in their name). So you may need to rename the WAD to view the demo.

I liked the geometry in this map, it had large open structures that made me think of Dark Forces. Texture wise, it's a bit of a mixed bag, but no worse than any number of early 90s maps.

Gameplay was pretty easy, and flowed quite well. Progression worked fine. While the encounter design wasn't particularly strong, it seemed to work in the context of the map just fine.

Sun God: http://www.mediafire.com/download/erdroqhmuj2dose

This is a pretty nice map. For someone of my skill level, it probably needs some more health to increase the margin for error.

The music and atmosphere work very well and the encounters seem pretty solid. Liked it.

Bond Of Blood: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x9gvx8u7tycwfn1

Once again renamed the WAD to bond_of_blood.wad, to remove the space.

This is a visually pleasing map, with solid game play. Good colour work helps tie the texture work together. My personnal perference would be to add a bit more health to increase margin of error since this is fast flowing map (perhaps on a lower difficulty setting), and perhaps a ssg or rl or more cells before the Baron.

Urthar said:

This is a visually pleasing map, with solid game play. Good colour work helps tie the texture work together. My personnal perference would be to add a bit more health to increase margin of error since this is fast flowing map (perhaps on a lower difficulty setting), and perhaps a ssg or rl or more cells before the Baron.

Thanks for the demo! I'm glad you liked the map. I see the need of more health, also I think I will provide a health buff at the start. I dont know if I will put other weapons, but sure there will be more cells.

If a file has spaces in the name, you can still put it in the command line by using quotation marks:
prboom-plus -file "i love you.wad"

Ah right, I'll do that from now on.

Played through to completion a few maps on Zandronum without recording a demo on HMP.

Monumental Pain:

A good looking map, that plays nicely. Curiously the secret exit from the start plays better than the standard opening route, since you're thrown into the action immediately, and aren't tempted to slowly snipe the monsters on columns.

I'm limiting to one map per mapper to start. This may change later in the month. If entries passes qc we can keep submitting.

TheMionicDonut said:
I'm limiting to one map per mapper to start.

You said "to start" instead of "to submit". Does this mean that once the mapper releases a finished map, then he can make another one?

Mappers can do whatever they want with their time. But if I'm looking at submission one and going "hell no", I won't even entertain submission two from the same author.

That's just my starting policy. The front third of this month was really hectic for me. I will be clarifying a lot of things in the next 48 hours.

I just didn't want alleged speed mappers making 3 subpar maps in a week and then being surprised when they are rejected.

TheMionicDonut said:

I just didn't want alleged speed mappers making 3 subpar maps in a week and then being surprised when they are rejected.

You called?

Obsidian said:

You called?

Not til Saturday.

Unless ASS isn't happening on account of Mayhem. *shrung*

fixed version of "No Mayhem!":

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9k0t9l3h1u6hti7/nomayhem.wad

added more enemies where's the monster encounters looks weak on your FDAs, changed few things like monsters on the main courtyard and a "hidden" floor near the end that spawns some monsters, added a midi rendition of ACAB's "Freedom and Justice", i don't know if this will go good for you, but it works for me. Otherwise i'll put the guile theme ^_^

Domain of the Generically Damned: http://www.mediafire.com/download/awegrp5msyrib2e/May15cb_urthr_map.lmp

Not a map that pulls any punches, but it plays well in the context of that difficulty, and is short and fast enough that repeated deaths don't become tedious or frustrating.

I'd be tempted to put a berserk pack after the first Archville to reset the players health if he only survives by the skin of his teeth. I'm also not sure if the opening needs a damaging sector to force the player forward, the limited resources might be enough in itself to do that.

Visually the maps works pretty well. In GL the liquids help offset the muted tones of the map, though in software the low lighting turns the blood at the start brown, so I might be tempted to try some transfer lighting or vanilla hack to make it brighter.