Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Imback55

Nothing New On idgames Lately

*ponders logistics of making new archive and assigning mods / admins as a fail-safe for the hit by a bus scenario, so I can build it and other people can maintain it*

Mods could appoint new mods so it could live forever.

I could make a system that systematically downloads all public wads and reviews and posts them elsewhere. I've got systems for Steam that just absorb information from people's inventories. I've also had to come up with systems to absorb an entire website of clients that have lost ftp access to their old sites.

I can even have it transfer user names and public info... the only problem would be everyone would need to use a matching email to log into their user name on the new site and that's only if user emails are public. A random password would be generated since passwords are not public.

Get well soon Ty!

*edit* looks like people are still uploading wads to idgames/

Haven't followed the Doom community in two and a half years now, so by the time I get around to playing new content there'll be more than I can afford in a lifetime. Considering I don't just play Doom all the time.

C'mon Ty we are all pulling for you.. Such a sense of decency in which he treated the community of modders. Very open-minded and attentive always.

geo said:

*edit* looks like people are still uploading wads to idgames/

Uh yeah we have other moderators now. I guess you missed the other thread.

Jon said:

Uh yeah we have other moderators now. I guess you missed the other thread.

Yeah I missed this thread for months too.

VGA said:

Any news? It's been quite a while now.

You aren't helping. I was expecting more information with this bump.

printz said:

You aren't helping. I was expecting more information with this bump.

I'm sorry. But I guess this is also a "get well soon, Ty" thread, so no problem keeping it active.

I use a primitive script that I run manually to mirror the archive (and since I have to babysit it, I see everything as it comes across), and there'd been nothing new for some time.

But this morning I see someone has done assloads of work as there were new files all over the place.

Did Ty return from the dead, or has someone else taken over as maintainer?

Whoever you are, know that you are loved by one and all, but especially by me.

Rez said:

But this morning I see someone has done assloads of work as there were new files all over the place.

See this other thread: Bloodschedder and Fraggle were installed as new administrators in the absence of Ty.

People should understand that after so many time being hospitalized, any more news about Ty is very likely not going to be any good.

Ah, sorry, I'd looked around but somehow never came across that thread, so thanks.

So I had not heard Ty was in hospital. And he's getting up there (the 69yrs figure is about right, per what I know). Sad to even think of losing him.

Robert Taylor would know more, if I can dig up his addy off one of my old PCs.

I apologize for bumping this idled topic, but I must know if anyone has any news about Ty?

I'm a close relative. I would have posted sooner but only found this site a few days ago when doing searches for his name.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumor in February. In early April, he had 4 seizures and had to be admitted to the hospital. After the seizures, communication was very difficult; he had good and bad days, but aside from one wonderful week, he remained in the hospital.

There were a number of complications that also arose and he never improved. He died July 31st surrounded by family.

It has meant a lot to read all of the post by people concerned with his health. I wish I had gotten here sooner, so I could've helped, but I also always thought he'd get better enough to get back to his computer, or at least online at all. Brain cancer sucks.

Sincerest condolences.
R.I.P. Ty, thank you for Evilution and your hard work maintaining the archive all those years.

Ty has always been a huge influence in the community and he will be greatly missed. Sincerest condolences to his family and friends.